• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew is about to do something real crazy.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, if we land Robinson, he displaces Reiff at LT and Reiff kicks inside to LG... Robinson is widely expected to be the first tackle off the board from what I'm seeing, and RTs just don't go in the top 5 like that. Also, if we have to chose between Reiff and Waddle (hypothetically, of course) to stay at tackle while the other moves to guard, I'm keeping Waddle at tackle because of his build vs. Reiff's. I think both could be great right tackles, but I don't think Waddle would fare as well at guard as Reiff would...

Never going to happen. I would scream louder if they traded up losing picks for T over WR at this moment. Please God no trading up.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it doesn't get called because they somehow have a "reputation" as being a physical secondary, and, apparently, because of that the normal NFL rules don't apply to them.

Give the Lions Seattle's entire secondary, man for man, and watch them become the most penalized team in league history. The Lions would never, ever, get the benefit of the doubt like the good teams do (we've all seen this first hand), so trying to copy Seattle's style wouldn't be wise for us...

Reputation follows a player where ever they go. SHerman ever leaves them and he will still be the same and called the same.

Suh left for the Seattle he would not suddenly be off a watch list of the pricks in league office.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did I say Denver had an unstoppable defense? I they built their WR corp much different than Detroit. They used one 1st pick on the position (22nd overall). The rest of them were a 3rd round choice for Decker, 4th round choice for Julian Thomas, and they signed Welker to a 2 year deal.

They almost had no clue about him. He was forced into a starting role because of injury. He was lightning in a bottle almost for them. IMO he was not really part of some blue print.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Watkins has better hands than those three and quicker acceleration (especially in and out of breaks). The only thing those three have on him is the height to high point the ball in contested situations.

If he had better acceleration in and out of breaks -- wouldn't he have tested higher in the 3 cone drill which tests an athletes speed in and out of breaks? Both AJ Green and Julio Jones tested faster than Watkins.

I can agree to an extent on the drops, but Watkins hasn't caught a single pass in the NFL and the majority of catches won't be bubble screens like he caught at Clemson.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They almost had no clue about him. He was forced into a starting role because of injury. He was lightning in a bottle almost for them. IMO he was not really part of some blue print.

I'm guessing they had some clue about him as they spent a 4th round pick on him. It wasn't as if they spent a 7th rounder on him or picked him up as an UFA.

Did they think he would turn into the type of player he was for them last year? No. But they had to see something in him to draft him in the 4th round.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, it never really makes sense for fans to say a team should draft a particular way, then bring forth examples. The draft is a crap-shoot for one and its also about opportunity. We needed for the team to make better choices within the positions they chose. If they wouldve got it right with a lot of the offensive picks, we wouldnt even be discussing this.

Are teams supposed to draft strictly for needs? Are teams supposed to dive all their drafts and picks so that both the offense and defense recieve an equal amount of players? Are teams suddenly supposed to copy the blueprint of the S.B champs every year?

This is my issue with spending another top pick for the offense.

They traded up for Best in the 1st, he is out of football. They traded up for Mikel LeShoure in the 2nd, he is a healthy scratch. So they go out and spend cap space on Bush.

They spent a 3rd round on Derrick Williams, he is out of football. They spent a 2nd round on Titus Young, he is out of football. They spent a 2nd round on Ryan Broyles, who is one more injury from being a cripple after 2 major knee surgeries and a blown achilles. So after wasting pick after pick on WR -- they sign Golden Tate to a big FA contract.

All of these picks and money spent in FA on offense has achieved nothing. We have one playoff appearance and New Orleans made mince meat out of our defense. Our offense put up 400+ yards of offense. New Orleans put up 600+ yards of offense.

Our defense right now is no better than they were in 2011, with the exception of our rushing defense, which Ansah really helped out with. We have both of our starting DT's playing the last year of their contracts.

If our goal is to try and get to the playoffs next year and not worry about anything after next year. I say trade the farm to get Watkins and ignore the defense, as it will most likely take, at least a 1st and 2nd rounder this year to get Watkins. So that means, after Watkins, Detroit wouldn't select until #76 in the draft. The one position that will have some quality players still on the board at #76 is WR, but Detroit will be set there. Are we going to fill the holes on the defense with 3rd and 4th round picks?

You will end up with 3rd and 4th round talent, which we have plenty of on the defense already.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you skip right over that 12 page novel where I laid out what those guys you listed did past age 30, and then threw out some of the other all time great WRs and what they did after 30? Yes- some saw their best years before 30, but they still played at a rate well above "regular" WRs into their mid 30s. Other guys saw their best statistical stretches from 28 to 33, so there's more then one angle on this topic. Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens, Art Monk (as you mentioned), and especially Jerry Rice were elite WRs until age 35 or so.

All those guys listed were just guys I could think of off the top of my head that were top-10 (ish) all time WRs. I'd bet if I looked up the list of the top-10 all-time receiving leaders at WR I'd find that this trend of elite WRs producing at a high level into their mid-30s would continue with most of them.

The book where you mention Keyshawn's 60some grabs for 700and some yards per year like its a good thing? I read it. And wondered what the hell you talking aboot.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think they trade the farm to get Watkins. A 1st and 2nd is nothing to me when gaining a elite prospect.

I cannot fully buy into the idea that people seem to think the offense and defense will produce the exact same way from year to year. Its ok to assume so, but its not reality. New coaches and schemes bring different results and its been proven time and time again. Jim Harbaugh did wonders with the same team Singletary had. Most recently, Kelly made strides with Philly, doing things "his" way.

My guess is if the Lions want Watkins and will make the trade, they feel comfortable with what they have or there is a underlying plan to get the pieces they feel they need for the defense afterwards.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took CJ a couple of seasons to pass Fitz and soon Julio or AJ will surpass CJ. Doesn't mean nothing.

Soon? Yes. By the end of this year? No, imo.

Also imo, Josh Gordon is the 2nd best WR in the league right now. He's a faster Green and a healthier Jones...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The book where you mention Keyshawn's 60some grabs for 700and some yards per year like its a good thing? I read it. And wondered what the hell you talking aboot.

Yeah- nothing about Keyshawn having 60 some grabs or 700 yards in there. Gonna have to try again on that one if you want to discredit what I posted... maybe refute something I actually posted instead of creating bogus numbers that (of course) are unimpressive?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe you're confusing those numbers you posted about Keyshawn with these ones I posted about T.O.?

Terrell Owens: In 7 seasons after turning 30 T.O. put up 486 receptions for 7,316 yards and 72 TDs. He put up 72 grabs for 982 yards and 9 TDs at age 36.

If CJ is still hauling in 70 balls a year for almost 1,000 yards and 9 TDs eight years from now I'll be a happy camper. He may have peaked over these last couple of seasons, but if he follows the same career arc as his contemporaries did, we're in good shape with him for a minimum of 5 more seasons...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah- nothing about Keyshawn having 60 some grabs or 700 yards in there. Gonna have to try again on that one if you want to discredit what I posted... maybe refute something I actually posted instead of creating bogus numbers that (of course) are unimpressive?

I divided by 5. Maybe try not being a smug little prick.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

332 divided by 5 is?? Wait for it, wait according to my smartass phone says = 60some. :noidea:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I divided by 5. Maybe try not being a smug little prick.

Damn, guess I'm not allowed to disagree with you.

My bad. Don't get your panties in a bunch because someone else has a different opinion...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
332 divided by 5 is?? Wait for it, wait according to my smartass phone says = 60some. :noidea:

True, but I didn't post anything about his yards. The info I put up is solid, I stand by it.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think they trade the farm to get Watkins. A 1st and 2nd is nothing to me when gaining a elite prospect.

I cannot fully buy into the idea that people seem to think the offense and defense will produce the exact same way from year to year. Its ok to assume so, but its not reality. New coaches and schemes bring different results and its been proven time and time again. Jim Harbaugh did wonders with the same team Singletary had. Most recently, Kelly made strides with Philly, doing things "his" way.

My guess is if the Lions want Watkins and will make the trade, they feel comfortable with what they have or there is a underlying plan to get the pieces they feel they need for the defense afterwards.

I'm not trying to downplay your comments -- I understand what you are saying. Harbaugh and Kelly were college coaches who showed they could turn a program around and make it elite. Harbaugh did it at Stanford and Kelly did it at Oregon.

No one is going to confuse Jim Caldwell with those guys. Caldwell didn't get a single interview for another head coaching position even though it seemed half the teams in the league fired their coach.

Caldwell basically road the coattails of Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning to a head coaching job. If Caldwell was so well thought of in the coaching circles and with QBs, in general, why would the Colts let him walk after 3 years, when they knew they would be drafting their next franchise QB?

I'm more excited to see what Lombardi and Austin do with the Lions than Caldwell. At least those guys are fresh faces and maybe they will bring something new to the table. IMO, Caldwell is just the talking head for the team, whose main job is try to instill some discipline on the team.

As far as a 1st and 2nd round pick not being a lot -- I'm going to have to disagree with you. Detroit would have two picks out of the top 45 players. By trading away their 2nd round pick -- they won't draft again until pick 76. If Detroit was one player from taking the step to the next level and challenging for the Super Bowl -- I'd completely understand the move. Adding Watkins won't even make them the favorite to win their own division.

Detroit has not only multiple holes to fill, but they are paper thin in depth at multiple positions too. IMO, they don't have the personnel to be trading away picks to move up, especially for a WR, when you have a tremendous pair of them already and the draft is so deep at the WR position.

It just seem crazy to me.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm a "show me" type of guy. Caldwell not getting much attention around the league and getting fired doesn't mean he wont do the job here. Thats to be seen. Personally, I think the team is going to respond to him this year.

I guess you're indicating that if they dont draft defense with their top two picks, they wont win the division, nor win the SB. I guess. Theres a lot of teams in the league that ride their offense, with average defenses. Hell, GB was terrible on defense for a few years.

To me, at the end of the day, you draft the best player possible.