• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matthew Stafford

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The QBR thing is kind of flawed Kreton. It can go up or down at an enormous rate and every one of the qb's weapons can alter it greatly. Go look at some of the really good QBs from past time (Favre is a good example) and look at where their QBR averages out over their careers.

Completion percentage is another one people are ignoring. 63% seems to be a pretty good average and anything above is really good. I can understand the frustration with Staffords breakdowns but you cant act as if he's so off pace or any different than other QBs.

QBR is a better indication of a QB's overall play than completion percentage. Nothing is going to be perfect, but at the very least QBR factors in more than just completion percentage.

If you want an indication of whether a QB played well or not, the only answer that is correct is going to be to watch the game. But so many people want to rely on a stat sheet to determine if a player had a good game or not, and when that is the case, QBR is the best tool to use for a QB.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can Staff be tough and scared?

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, wait a minute here...

Where does it say that if a WR hauls off and takes a 10 yard pass and turns it into a 80 yard TD, that the QB no longer gets credit? How does that work? That would suggest that none of the current QBs are no good because their players made a play togain yards after the catch. This is football man. Why are you setting different standars for Stafford?

I have no idea what you are referring too, but what standard are you talking about that I am setting for Stafford that is different than any other QB?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im 100% in favor of the game manager role. Less turnovers mean more wins. He'll never get that label from the media, his arm is too strong. So no need to worry about how hes perceived by others. Like Ryan Tannehills skin being too pale to be labelled a mobile quarterback. Nobody realizes he averages more YPC than Cam or Kaep.

22, I see your point COMPLETLY on the money angle. I just have seen too many TOs the last couple years. That's why I liked Staffs performance against Minny so much. No unnecessary risks from Ol' Numba Nine. His contract isn't really going to be a good one no matter what type of role he's asked to fill.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not you Kreton, 22.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, wait a minute here...

Where does it say that if a WR hauls off and takes a 10 yard pass and turns it into a 80 yard TD, that the QB no longer gets credit? How does that work? That would suggest that none of the current QBs are no good because their players made a play togain yards after the catch. This is football man. Why are you setting different standars for Stafford?

You were the one calculating Stafford's QBR by subtracting the plays that weren't 100% his fault. I was simply saying that could go the other way and nobody was doing that. Sometimes bad things happen when Stafford makes a good throw. And sometimes good things happen when he makes a bad throw. You can't inflate his stats either way. They even each other out.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just offering examples bro.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon, TPaul. No offense to Stop, but its ridiculous to just add completions and TDs to a qbs stats. Sure, QBR doesn't take into account drops, but nor does it take into account a WR or RB taking passes 60 yards, or missed wide open players.

See, that's exactly what I mean about taking comments out of context. He wasn't saying that those should just be added to Stafford's numbers, he was showing what a huge difference a TD or two, or a half-dozen completions/incompletions make in that stat.

Take Stafford out and plug in any QB, and the QBR is still a very flawed metric. The classic NFL passer rating is a better gauge, imo.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, that's exactly what I mean about taking comments out of context. He wasn't saying that those should just be added to Stafford's numbers, he was showing what a huge difference a TD or two, or a half-dozen completions/incompletions make in that stat.

Take Stafford out and plug in any QB, and the QBR is still a very flawed metric. The classic NFL passer rating is a better gauge, imo.

Even going by the classic passer rating Stafford is still sitting pretty low. Even with that, either is a good reflection of the overall passing game, and Stafford is a major part of that. I think we should all be able to agree on that. -

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even going by the classic passer rating Stafford is still sitting pretty low. Even with that, either is a good reflection of the overall passing game, and Stafford is a major part of that. I think we should all be able to agree on that. -

No argument there. I just don't like the new QBR from the ESPN people. It figures in rushing yards way too heavily, which hurts pocket passers every time they take a sack and lose "rushing yards."

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see you got a bunch of thumbs-up from the peanut gallery on this one, and I enjoy the humor as (made me lol at work, thanks a lot, asshole), but Lionstop did a good job of showing how ESPN's QBR doesn't factor in drops, or INTs caused by the receiver, as happened Sunday on that pass to Thompson.

Let me ask you this though. What if Stafford throws behind a receiver, he makes and adjustment, corrals the pass and gets tackled immediately after picking up 12 yards. However, if Stafford hits him in stride... He gains another 10-20 yards after the catch or possibly a TD. QBR also doesn't compute those type of plays so it works both ways, correct?

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me ask you this though. What if Stafford throws behind a receiver, he makes and adjustment, corrals the pass and gets tackled immediately after picking up 12 yards. However, if Stafford hits him in stride... He gains another 10-20 yards after the catch or possibly a TD. QBR also doesn't compute those type of plays so it works both ways, correct?

Which is why QBR is lame.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a bunch a thin skinned pussies the three amigos are.

Smitty has not discredited his talent completely. Tate did kick his cat. That is a douchie move IMO. Short Buns was a good cat.

Umm, haha? Is there another tony scheffler like story we should familiarize ourself with?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Used to be Bondzai. I was a refuge from CBS (I hate even saying those letters). I've been pretty busy so I haven't posted here since last season.

I read this board rather than the newspapers.

Welcome bondzai good to see you, post more often please, i remember u from there.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah man, I don't hate Stafford as much as Smitty hates Tate. Nor have I given up on him. I just feel he's at a point if he doesn't start to improve, then we should start planning ahead, similar to what the Chargers did with Brees.

Im not saying cut him or trade him, or even bench him. I may have, in anger, screamed to bench him at some point, but I know that's not logical, especially with one of the worst backups in the NFL.

I simply want a fire lit under him. Not this coddling and never ending train of excuses. People might not think of it as excuses, rather "logical reasoning", but it can't be when its been different things every time. Last year he did get adequate protection, and had Calvin most of the time, and still threw up bad performances. But people were blaming lack of weapons and coaches, and defense(which actually played well down the stretch). Now its OLine, and lack of weapons.

Like I said previously, I do expect the offense to start moving the ball better. But I've expected that before. Last year at this time(when ARod and Cutler got hurt) I said on the Lions Facebook page that if we didn't win the division, that Schwartz should be fired. I was lit up for saying that. And even I didn't expect Stafford to regress like he did.

Same thing here. We have a defense, and weapons added for Stafford. I'll give him the year to get acclimated to Lombardi. But if we can't get it done this year, we seriously have to take a look at the face of our franchise. Is that so absurd?

I was in the same position last year, but have hated schwartz since the niners game and most people didnt like that until they fell apart last year, then most were ok with it. I also said the lions werent legit last year and got lit up for it. I think they are this year and Im glad to see you have faith that stafford can get it done.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't read all of this thread. I started to and got off track because of the QBR comments I kept reading.

I still think a lot of this has to fall onto the person calling the plays on the sideline. Our OL hasn't been able to pass protect for pretty much the entire season and our running game has been in shambles. I'm not sure what they did yesterday in the game -- but it should have been all short passes/screens, etc. Every game until Calvin comes back should be short routes, as teams don't have to worry about our running game and don't have to worry about a vertical passing attack.

It seems we need to change up our blocking schemes, as whatever they are doing is not working. The OL seems confused many times and if a team blitzes -- quite a few times, guys don't seem to know their responsibility and guys come in untouched.

Will be interesting to see how the Lions look in this upcoming week. Atlanta has been brutal on defense. If the offense can't get it going against Atlanta -- we may have some issues going forward. With the defense playing like they have been -- we still may be able to make a run in the playoffs though. Crossing my fingers that they don't rush Calvin back until he is 100% ready though.

Atlantas offensive line has been garbage as well. Detroit should be in ryans face all night. While I agree with you about the oline not being great last year they were much better than this years evidenced by a better lions running game and better pass protection.