• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matthew Stafford

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never care about QBR or WAR, or any nonsense with a + next to it.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford hasn't been good this year. He hasn't been awful either. The line has been terrible. They can't make holes or keep pressure off of Stafford. He has no time to go through progressions. There's no time for long routes to develop. I would say Aaron Rodgers is the only guy I've seen be affective with no run game and no protection. Stafford could and probably should be better even with the line issues and injuries but at this point I'm not thinking any differently about him than I have in the past. I'm still firmly in his corner but if he leads us to another top 5 draft pick season them I may start thinking about a replacement.

And Matt Ryan JD? Seriously? He played well early and people latched on to this idea that he would be great but talk about a guy who hit his ceiling quickly.

Matt Ryan has not had a line to throw behind in two years. It's hard to quantify Ryan since he has great receivers everyone thinks he should be running up the stats but that line makes Detroit's look good. But if you don't like Ryan I can't argue it to heavily.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the season, give Stafford a few more TDs and 6 more completions, hes at 94.6, which aint bad.

Give my aunt a penis and she would become my uncle.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the season, give Stafford a few more TDs and 6 more completions, hes at 94.6, which aint bad.

As for the arguing and bickering, its pointless because those that love him will only view him in a positive manner and over inflate the things he does

Now on the season if the kickers were 50% the Lions are 6-1

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Stafford had a 24-1 TD to INT ratio right now, the Lions would be 7-0.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Stafford had a 24-1 TD to INT ratio right now, the Lions would be 7-0.
Maybe.

If Drew Brees had one less INT the Lions would be 4-3 and the Saints wouldn't have a seven game road losing streak. Maybe.

Id take my chances with that 24-1 ratio. ARodg isn't even putting them kinza numbers.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured someone would come back on me like that Gandy. Let me clear this up though.

My favorite player in the league is Megatron and I've liked Staff before he even came in the league. I see the good and bad ith him and I dont make rediculous excuses for any player. Ive already said he isnt playing great so far. I honestly believe fans are now looking for anything to dog him. Its dumb. Did you even pay attention to what I wrote besides what you wanted to see?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. QBR is not a very good stat. Too many holes. Just like the WAR and BaBIP?? in baseball. It used way too much by stat junkies. Like you say the eye test tells me what Stafford is doing. His stat line says 2 INTs and that is what drops his QBR. Jordon kid made Durham look like Winslow SR. On that play.

I do all read all of your posts. However our debacle in Bills thread was going OL and defense before kicker. I saw it as excuses for poor play by Stafford.

I can not speak for other haters. I don't hate Stafford. I hate little mechanical flaws he shows glimpses of in one game and poof the next. Drives me fricking crazy. But to defend the touch passes accuracy(which WRs have to adjust to throws also) speaking if adjusting. Sometimes I can tell if he throws a pass for the WR to adjust to or was it errant throw. Like the Fuller pass.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give my aunt a penis and she would become my uncle.

I see you got a bunch of thumbs-up from the peanut gallery on this one, and I enjoy the humor as (made me lol at work, thanks a lot, asshole), but Lionstop did a good job of showing how ESPN's QBR doesn't factor in drops, or INTs caused by the receiver, as happened Sunday on that pass to Thompson.

That's not something that can just be brushed off, it's a very flawed metric. The eye test matters most to me, and to that end Stafford is playing quite a bit better so far than he was at the end of last year.

Something else that I hadn't really considered, and we haven't discussed much, is the timing with the receivers. Learning a new offense is tough on the WRs and the QB, and some of those bad misses may have a lot to do with the differences in the route concepts in this new offense.

One thing he seems to be struggling with more than anything else, though, is leading his receivers with a catchable ball. That concerns me far more than his overall accuracy, which has been decent so far this year...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured someone would come back on me like that Gandy. Let me clear this up though.

My favorite player in the league is Megatron and I've liked Staff before he even came in the league. I see the good and bad ith him and I dont make rediculous excuses for any player. Ive already said he isnt playing great so far. I honestly believe fans are now looking for anything to dog him. Its dumb. Did you even pay attention to what I wrote besides what you wanted to see?

To be fair I thought you did a nice job showing why that QBR stat can be misleading. Unfortunately posters seem more interested in taking your examples out of context, as if they were stand-alone examples that you were throwing out there. People seem to struggle with context around here quite a bit...

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair I thought you did a nice job showing why that QBR stat can be misleading. Unfortunately posters seem more interested in taking your examples out of context, as if they were stand-alone examples that you were throwing out there. People seem to struggle with context around here quite a bit...

The QBR stat is the best single stat to measure a QB's performance when people refuse to watch the game.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Forewarning: I'm not a "cap-ologist", nor am I 100% about the numbers im about to give, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Another thing to think about for those happy with Stafford as a "game manager", we are built to be an offensive team. We don't have anyone on defense scheduled to make a lot of money next year, yet we won't be able to resign our best player on that side of the ball.

Stafford($18), Calvin(24), Tate(6), Pettigrew(4), Bush(4), and Bell(3) have $59 mil of our cap space eaten up for next year, from just QB/RB/TE/WR. How are we going to pay Levy? Slay? Anyone who performs on defense? Our future hinges on Stafford being elite, not a game manager.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cmon, TPaul. No offense to Stop, but its ridiculous to just add completions and TDs to a qbs stats. Sure, QBR doesn't take into account drops, but nor does it take into account a WR or RB taking passes 60 yards, or missed wide open players.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am willing to give Stafford some slack until we get another 4-6 weeks in. Once we are 3/4 season done then we can see if he is going to be worth that kind of money in this offense. We will also whether the O-Line finally comes together too or if maybe we need to think about scrapping Lombardi and his offense.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love everything so far about Caldwell. It seems Lombardi is catching the flack here.

Does anyone seem to wonder how Flacco struggled last year? Lions offense put up yards and points. Now the roles are reversed. Ravens just did next man up with Rice and cast off RB filled in. That thread about not trusting Stafford may hold water. Not from standpoint of the trust issue. Just might be the way Caldwell wants Lombardi to game plan or something???

I know some hammered Jim for his OC job last year. I love that the hire brought us Austin. Caldwell has turned Austin lose to call his game. Just wonder if any of you have read different on Lombardi?

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love everything so far about Caldwell. It seems Lombardi is catching the flack here.

Does anyone seem to wonder how Flacco struggled last year? Lions offense put up yards and points. Now the roles are reversed. Ravens just did next man up with Rice and cast off RB filled in. That thread about not trusting Stafford may hold water. Not from standpoint of the trust issue. Just might be the way Caldwell wants Lombardi to game plan or something???

I know some hammered Jim for his OC job last year. I love that the hire brought us Austin. Caldwell has turned Austin lose to call his game. Just wonder if any of you have read different on Lombardi?

Right now I think it is a combination Lombardi's system failing, offensive line failing, and Stafford being scared back there. Lombardis system seems very reliant on the O line picking up his complex blocking schemes and doing it very well. That is breaking down so Stafford has to try to adjust. I think seeing the line breaking down Caldwell/Lombardi/Stafford are working on developing more of a shorter faster game to account for it.

My point is, I think that the coaches have lost faith in the line more than they have in Stafford.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The QBR thing is kind of flawed Kreton. It can go up or down at an enormous rate and every one of the qb's weapons can alter it greatly. Go look at some of the really good QBs from past time (Favre is a good example) and look at where their QBR averages out over their careers.

Completion percentage is another one people are ignoring. 63% seems to be a pretty good average and anything above is really good. I can understand the frustration with Staffords breakdowns but you cant act as if he's so off pace or any different than other QBs.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And im not sure where this game manager stuff is coming from. I believe he's still who he was but he's keeping the TO's down. The entire offense is struggling, therefore overall numbers are down for everyone. Stafford's "stats" make it seem as if he's playing the game manager role.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, wait a minute here...

Where does it say that if a WR hauls off and takes a 10 yard pass and turns it into a 80 yard TD, that the QB no longer gets credit? How does that work? That would suggest that none of the current QBs are no good because their players made a play togain yards after the catch. This is football man. Why are you setting different standars for Stafford?