• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marshawn's last year in Seattle? Really?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how the team can let Lynch go. Not only is he not falling off, but this year he looks as elusive and quick as I've ever seen. On that one long run in the 4th quarter he looks like he's attached to a jet pack.

You can give Wilson big money (which I have serious reservations about, but that's neither here nor there), pay Wagner, and keep Lynch for 2015. The notable cap victim in that scenario is KJ, who is relatively expendable IMO.

What are your serious reservations about Wilson?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how the team can let Lynch go. Not only is he not falling off, but this year he looks as elusive and quick as I've ever seen. On that one long run in the 4th quarter he looks like he's attached to a jet pack.

You can give Wilson big money (which I have serious reservations about, but that's neither here nor there), pay Wagner, and keep Lynch for 2015. The notable cap victim in that scenario is KJ, who is relatively expendable IMO.

I get that Wilson thus far has had some games where he hasn't looked great at times, but he's been pretty good for a down year IMO and I expect he'll rebound with some great games moving forward. Besides the Seahawks are vested in RW, at this point they really have no choice but to continue with him.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that Wilson thus far has had some games where he hasn't looked great at times, but he's been pretty good for a down year IMO and I expect he'll rebound with some great games moving forward. Besides the Seahawks are vested in RW, at this point they really have no choice but to continue with him.

I agree. I didn't mean to say that I think the Seahawks should get let him go or anything crazy like that.

I just worry how the team will hold up when other parts start to inevitably decline.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lack of progress he's made in terms of throwing from the pocket concerns me.

How often has he really had a clean pocket to throw from, though? I'm not saying that I've been happy with the way he's played all year and it's not all on the offensive line when he plays poorly, but it's hard to make progress throwing from the pocket when the pocket collapses frequently or he thinks it's going to collapse because it often does. He'll be the first one to say that he needs to be better, but his protection needs to be better too. I realize that's asking a lot given the injuries that have been sustained on the offensive line and the chaos that that has caused, but he was the most "under duress" quarterback in the league last year and I have to think he's up near the top in that category again this year.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How often has he really had a clean pocket to throw from, though? I'm not saying that I've been happy with the way he's played all year and it's not all on the offensive line when he plays poorly, but it's hard to make progress throwing from the pocket when the pocket collapses frequently or he thinks it's going to collapse because it often does. He'll be the first one to say that he needs to be better, but his protection needs to be better too. I realize that's asking a lot given the injuries that have been sustained on the offensive line and the chaos that that has caused, but he was the most "under duress" quarterback in the league last year and I have to think he's up near the top in that category again this year.

It's been hit or miss, but he's had games where the offensive line has actually played really well. KC was one of those games for sure.

He's also gotten into a bad habit of bailing way too early. He's gotten out of the pocket before it collapsed or was even threatened.

I'm not saying these are flaws that can't be corrected, and the OL still needs to improve, but it does concern me that his ability to throw from the pocket is regressing in his third year. This is supposed to be the year of the most improvement.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BSUSeahawk;5913748[B said:
]It's been hit or miss, but he's had games where the offensive line has actually played really well. KC was one of those games for sure.[/B]

He's also gotten into a bad habit of bailing way too early. He's gotten out of the pocket before it collapsed or was even threatened.

I'm not saying these are flaws that can't be corrected, and the OL still needs to improve, but it does concern me that his ability to throw from the pocket is regressing in his third year. This is supposed to be the year of the most improvement.

IMO the problem is from lack of faith in the pass blocking. Once a QB doubts his OL ability to pass block, this what you get, a QB that bails too early. As much as I love RW, I think he does bail early at times, but considering how unreliable his OL is on a week to week basis, it's understandable. I also think it's correctable, just need some consistency in pass blocking and everything well be good IMO.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the problem is from lack of faith in the pass blocking. Once a QB doubts his OL ability to pass block, this what you get, a QB that bails too early. As much as I love RW, I think he does bail early at times, but considering how unreliable his OL is on a week to week basis, it's understandable. I also think it's correctable, just need some consistency in pass blocking and everything well be good IMO.

I think there's probably a lot of truth to this theory.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't get is people say you need a strong running game to open up the passing game. Well, we got the best running attack in the league and still our passing game is inconsistent. Take Lynch out of the equation and I am wondering where the yards will come from. Without fear of Lynch, defenses can set up to stop RW and it would be a very long season.

It will be a different team without Lynch. But staying or going may be his choice and nothing the team can do about it.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't get is people say you need a strong running game to open up the passing game. Well, we got the best running attack in the league and still our passing game is inconsistent. Take Lynch out of the equation and I am wondering where the yards will come from. Without fear of Lynch, defenses can set up to stop RW and it would be a very long season.

It will be a different team without Lynch. But staying or going may be his choice and nothing the team can do about it.

All the great rushing in the world can't overcome this shitty pass blocking line and mediocre receiving corp.

But can you imagine how bad the passing would be if the running also sucked right now? They'd look like the Raiders.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the great rushing in the world can't overcome this shitty pass blocking line and mediocre receiving corp.

But can you imagine how bad the passing would be if the running also sucked right now? They'd look like the Raiders.

The Raiders are on the rise. They have finally escaped from cap hell.

If the running sucked, we might be looking to trade back our first pick overall.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use to think that this was Lynch's last year here but i always figured it would be a trade not a out right release. I still believe they will not just release him. He is under contract for 2015 so either he plays out his last year or they trade him for what ever they can get in the off season.

Until the Raiders L. Murray had a monster game i thought they would look to trade him to the Raiders this off season for like a 4th or 5th round pick. Now i think if Murray continues at high level they have no need for him. The reason i thought the Raiders is easy to see, it's where Marshawn is from and he was all smiles the last time the team was in Oakland. He was truly a big ass smile when on the sideline. i think he wants to be back in Oakland.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team is going to trade a bag of practice balls for a RB with Lynch's mileage and contract figure.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team is going to trade a bag of practice balls for a RB with Lynch's mileage and contract figure.

really? lol i think you are wrong, i can name more than a handful of teams that Lynch would upgrade in their rushing attack.

Cleveland, Detroit, *Denver, Giants, Oakland ( lets see how Murray does the rest of the season ), Indy, NE, St. Louis just to name a few that are only getting 3.9 YPC or less as a team. Wonder who is #1 in YPC as a team... Oh it's the Seahawks. Lynch has a couple years left in him easily. They might not get a 4th or 5th but i didn't say they would. What i said was " Until the Raiders L. Murray had a monster game i thought they would look to trade him to the Raiders this off season for like a 4th or 5th" looking for and getting are two very different things. You think the Hawks were looking for a late rounder for Percy? because that's most likely all they will get.

Last edited by a moderator:

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really? lol i think you are wrong, i can name more than a handful of teams that Lynch would upgrade in their rushing attack.

Cleveland, Detroit, *Denver, Giants, Oakland ( lets see how Murray does the rest of the season ), Indy, NE, St. Louis just to name a few that are only getting 3.9 YPC or less as a team. Wonder who is #1 in YPC as a team... Oh it's the Seahawks. Lynch has a couple years left in him easily. They might not get a 4th or 5th but i didn't say they would. What i said was " Until the Raiders L. Murray had a monster game i thought they would look to trade him to the Raiders this off season for like a 4th or 5th" looking for and getting are two very different things. You think the Hawks were looking for a late rounder for Percy? because that's most likely all they will get.

This is real life, not Madden.

Lynch has one year left on his deal. That one year is among the highest in the league for his position. To make it worthwhile to trade for him, the trading team would have to have a contract extension in place. That contract extension would have to be better than any deal Lynch could receive on the FA market to make Lynch want to sign it, instead of just hitting FA and choosing where he would like to play. Now, as a GM, how sizable a contract are you going to give a 29 year old bruising RB with over 2100 career carries and a history of back issues? Not much. The track record for backs with that resume is pretty grim.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lynch has one year left on his deal. That one year is among the highest in the league for his position. To make it worthwhile to trade for him, the trading team would have to have a contract extension in place. That contract extension would have to be better than any deal Lynch could receive on the FA market to make Lynch want to sign it, instead of just hitting FA and choosing where he would like to play. Now, as a GM, how sizable a contract are you going to give a 29 year old bruising RB with over 2100 career carries and a history of back issues? Not much. The track record for backs with that resume is pretty grim.

I disagree with that plan.
Imagine next year before the trading deadline assuming ML is on our squad. Any team with a SB shot and needing a killer RB would easily give up a draft pick to "rent" Marshawn for the last 10 games of the year. It could mean winning the SB for a team. Marshawn's new team would be on the hook for the pro rated balance of Marshawn's Salary $5M /16 x # of remaining regular season games + the same ratios in his $2M roster bonus.
So, if you were a GM whose team had some cap left and had an open window for a SB victory, you wouldn't give up a 4th or 5th rounder for a playoff run with Marshawn handling the rock?

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with that plan.
Imagine next year before the trading deadline assuming ML is on our squad. Any team with a SB shot and needing a killer RB would easily give up a draft pick to "rent" Marshawn for the last 10 games of the year. It could mean winning the SB for a team. Marshawn's new team would be on the hook for the pro rated balance of Marshawn's Salary $5M /16 x # of remaining regular season games + the same ratios in his $2M roster bonus.
So, if you were a GM whose team had some cap left and had an open window for a SB victory, you wouldn't give up a 4th or 5th rounder for a playoff run with Marshawn handling the rock?

First, your numbers are off. WE take the hit for the roster bonus, and would be eating $3.5 million just for giggles if he doesn't play the whole year for the squad. The team trading for Lynch just has to pay his pro rated salary and per game bonus ($125K per).

Second, SB contenders don't tend to roll with three million in unused cap space, nor do they make big moves at the deadline. Who was the last team that did? How did that work out?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, your numbers are off. WE take the hit for the roster bonus, and would be eating $3.5 million just for giggles if he doesn't play the whole year for the squad. The team trading for Lynch just has to pay his pro rated salary and per game bonus ($125K per).

Second, SB contenders don't tend to roll with three million in unused cap space, nor do they make big moves at the deadline. Who was the last team that did? How did that work out?

No sweat friend.
We can agree to disagree.
There are no trades allowed at the deadline. Trade date is before the mid point of the season.
My point on the roster bone could be wrong but Pete and JC have no problem eating numerous millions if they believe it benefits the team.
On your second point, last year we had $3.95M in cap space. That worked out quite well.:suds:

Our difference is I could see a contending team trade a mid to low round pick to rent Marshawn for a SB run.
Let me add, that in no way do I feel that trade would in our best interests with Marshawn running as he has and considering how our backups are playing.
Go Seahawks. Beat the Cards.

Last edited by a moderator:

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, that came across more aggressively than intended. Teams in contention almost never rent players (I honestly can't eve think of the last time it happened) and as much as I love Beast, he could break down at any second. No one is going to burn a pick of that.

At any rate, here's to hoping for a larger cap bump than expected, we end up with enough cash to lock down Wagner, Avril, Russ, and KJ, and this whole discussion becomes moot.

:suds:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why do people say shit like that? like it makes them feel smart.

This is real life not madden. No shit ? really?

Marshawn is a Special player a true elite of the Elite in talent at RB. He is YOUNGER than AP and people would be all over AP if he was available so why not the Best RB in the NFL over the past 3 years and the best RB in the NFL for yards after contact PERIOD? BHF you have your opinion and that is all it is but you act as if it's fact and you are dead wrong. Sorry you are not the elite of the elite lmao.
:pound: