• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Dantonio only wants conference champs in play-offs...

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ swinging off of a teams nuts that you beat. :L

nom nom nom

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy solution, take the higher ranked one loss Oregon.

Nope.

They did not win their conference.
They did not win their division.
They lost head-to-head to the division and conference champ.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's dumb for an 8-4 Conference Champ to be selected over an 11-1 non Conference Champ. I'll always think that way. If it dumb to want the more deserving team to be in the playoff then call me dumb.

I agree.

Dummie...:suds:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if the 1 loss non conference champ was from the ACC and the 8 - 4 Conference champ was from the SEC? Knowing the SEC is miles greater than the ACC.

Im not high at all. It takes less guess work out of it.

It's almost impossible for the SEC champ to have 4 losses. But say Vandy ran the table in the SEC, lost to ODU OOC and somehow beat the SEC West champ, there is no way they are more deserving than an 11-1 champ of any conference.

And I don't get the whole less guess work thing. You should put the 4 most deserving teams in the playoff. W/L, SOS, top 25 wins, top 50 wins and head to head if it comes down to it. Conference champ should be something to break the tie at the VERY end of the chain at least IMO.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Michigan St play the other undefeated Big 10 teams?

I think MSU still has a great chance at the playoff if they win out. I won't penalize them as much for losing at Oregon. Especially if Oregon is unbeaten at 13-0. If Oregon losses a couple games that will change my opinion a little.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope.

They did not win their conference.
They did not win their division.
They lost head-to-head to the division and conference champ.

Just like Bama...

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think MSU still has a great chance at the playoff if they win out. I won't penalize them as much for losing at Oregon. Especially if Oregon is unbeaten at 13-0. If Oregon losses a couple games that will change my opinion a little.

Yeah. I was gonna say, what if Oregon loses a couple.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost impossible for the SEC champ to have 4 losses. But say Vandy ran the table in the SEC, lost to ODU OOC and somehow beat the SEC West champ, there is no way they are more deserving than an 11-1 champ of any conference.

And I don't get the whole less guess work thing. You should put the 4 most deserving teams in the playoff. W/L, SOS, top 25 wins, top 50 wins and head to head if it comes down to it. Conference champ should be something to break the tie at the VERY end of the chain at least IMO.

Like someone said earlier. Some teams could be penalized for making it to their CCG and having to play an extra game and then end up receiving another loss while another team didn't make it to their CCG but has a better record but played one less game.

Using CC as a criteria Every team goes into the season knowing what they have to do. Win your conference. = Less guess work.

The NFL has less deserving teams make it into playoffs all the time over ones that are more deserving. Its simply how it works.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No that's stupid. Especially in the era of unbalanced schedule. Wisconsin could have conceivably gone the entire regular season having beaten maybe ONE ranked team by the time of the CCG. You can't reward a team like that knowing an 11-1 MSU could be waiting for them.

What does unbalanced scheduling have to do with anything?? You are still taking the 4 best and most deserving teams. If you dont think 12-0 Marshall is deserving of going to the playoff then you certainly arent going to think 12-1 Marshall is. I guarantee 100% that in a lot of years you will have a team MISS the playoff because of a loss in a conference title game and in many of those years you will see a team that didnt even qualify for their league title game take that spot. It makes no sense to say that 12-0 South Carloina deserves to make the playoffs ahead of 11-1 Oregon but 12-1 South Carolina does NOT deserve to go ahead of 11-1 Oregon yet I promise you that this will happen and happen frequently. People ar3e ALWAYS more affected by recent events. Id wager that in the first 5 years of this playoff system we will have at LEAST 5 teams make the playoff that dont win their conference and Id also wager that 0 of those teams will have made their league title game and LOST.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The chances of Oregon going unbeaten is >10 %

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ swinging off of a teams nuts that you beat. :L

nom nom nom

Do you think there is a better team than Michigan State in the b1g?

A simple yes or no will do.

I think 99% of cfb fans would agree that MSU is the best in the b1g.

They are the reigning champ and look pretty tough.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like someone said earlier. Some teams could be penalized for making it to their CCG and having to play an extra game and then end up receiving another loss while another team didn't make it to their CCG but has a better record but played one less game.

Using CC as a criteria Every team goes into the season knowing what they have to do. Win your conference. = Less guess work.

The NFL has less deserving teams make it into playoffs all the time over ones that are more deserving. Its simply how it works.

Not all conference champs are created equal.

So I guess you would have been alright with an 11-2 Va Tech team that lost to James Madison and won the ACC that was terrible that year get selected over an 11-1 Ohio State who finished as the "runner up" in a better conference and played a tougher SOS?

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree if a 5-loss Wisconsin team didn't win the Big 10 a couple years ago.

Imagine if that happened in a couple Conferences in the same season. They'd then be left with being forced to take a 5-loss team into the playoffs over possibly a 1-loss SEC team for instance.

There are holes in this idea.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does unbalanced scheduling have to do with anything?? You are still taking the 4 best and most deserving teams. If you dont think 12-0 Marshall is deserving of going to the playoff then you certainly arent going to think 12-1 Marshall is. I guarantee 100% that in a lot of years you will have a team MISS the playoff because of a loss in a conference title game and in many of those years you will see a team that didnt even qualify for their league title game take that spot. It makes no sense to say that 12-0 South Carloina deserves to make the playoffs ahead of 11-1 Oregon but 12-1 South Carolina does NOT deserve to go ahead of 11-1 Oregon yet I promise you that this will happen and happen frequently. People ar3e ALWAYS more affected by recent events. Id wager that in the first 5 years of this playoff system we will have at LEAST 5 teams make the playoff that dont win their conference and Id also wager that 0 of those teams will have made their league title game and LOST.

Unbalanced scheduled have a lot to do with. Duke could run through their schedule without playing a ranked team. Why does that make them deserving? I want to see what they do against FSU to see if they deserve it or not. If Duke and FSU are both 12-0 then it's basically a play in game. I guess I'm looking at it from the other end.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree if a 5-loss Wisconsin team didn't win the Big 10 a couple years ago.

Imagine if that happened in a couple Conferences in the same season. They'd then be left with being forced to take a 5-loss team into the playoffs over possibly a 1-loss SEC team for instance.

And the same year if 5 loss UCLA had beat Oregon.

Both Wisky and UCLA benefitted from a post season banned team in conference.

Not a playoff team, neither should or would have been.

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^This. It's a better idea to have less hard and fast rules than more. It gives the committee flexibility for the occasional oddball season with scenarios such as above. Most times, the conference champs are going to have a leg up on other teams and with good reason. There doesn't need to be a rule for that because the situation will settle as it should. It doesn't make sense to make rules that might hamstring the committee down the line.