• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners offseason rumor/discussion thread

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh god, the rumors are getting worse:

The Mariners likely won't trade Taijuan Walker in a deal for Price, CBS Sports' Jon Heyman tweets. They could, however, trade a package including top position player prospects, including catcher Mike Zunino. Zunino, the third overall pick in the 2013 draft, made his debut for Seattle in 2013.

How long did we have to suffer behind the plate before a prospect shot up through the ranks and showed he could be a long term answer? Now we're potentially trading his for a SP we won't be able to afford? What the fuck are these people thinking?

We don't need David Price!

Don't kid yourself, the M's can afford it. The just signed a huge TV deal that will give them at least 100M a year plus, like all MLB teams, they get 26M a year from the national TV deal. Not to mention they are at least 20M under last years payroll.

All that being said, unless David Price come with a contract extension, I don't want him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh god, the rumors are getting worse:

The Mariners likely won't trade Taijuan Walker in a deal for Price, CBS Sports' Jon Heyman tweets. They could, however, trade a package including top position player prospects, including catcher Mike Zunino. Zunino, the third overall pick in the 2013 draft, made his debut for Seattle in 2013.

How long did we have to suffer behind the plate before a prospect shot up through the ranks and showed he could be a long term answer? Now we're potentially trading his for a SP we won't be able to afford? What the fuck are these people thinking?

We don't need David Price!

I agree with you, seems like a bad idea to trade Zunino. I think he's as valuable as Walker

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is time to start signing as many free agents as possible. My point, Angels and White Sox got good returns in the 3-way trade today and big reason is that they have veteran players to deal. We have Felix, Iwakuma, and Seager and we can't afford to lose any of them. That is my biggest reason to sign guys. You can always deal them later. Heck, even Figgins had trade value after his first year with M's. We let Ichiro walk w/o return. We let Beltre walk w/o return. What few vets we had, we let walk w/o return.

Sign guys who may not even be a fit this year then look to deal them at the deadline or in the next off season. It takes assets to play the game and we need to acquire as many as we can while we can. Sign Hart, Garza, Jimenez, Morse, Choo. ? The budget would only take a hit for a short time until we rearrange the deck chairs with trades later. Sounds crazy, but we need assets.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is time to start signing as many free agents as possible. My point, Angels and White Sox got good returns in the 3-way trade today and big reason is that they have veteran players to deal. We have Felix, Iwakuma, and Seager and we can't afford to lose any of them. That is my biggest reason to sign guys. You can always deal them later. Heck, even Figgins had trade value after his first year with M's. We let Ichiro walk w/o return. We let Beltre walk w/o return. What few vets we had, we let walk w/o return.

Sign guys who may not even be a fit this year then look to deal them at the deadline or in the next off season. It takes assets to play the game and we need to acquire as many as we can while we can. Sign Hart, Garza, Jimenez, Morse, Choo. ? The budget would only take a hit for a short time until we rearrange the deck chairs with trades later. Sounds crazy, but we need assets.
43743469.jpg

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports have been surfacing that the Yankees, Mets and Padres have been inquiring about Ackley. I'm not sure what those franchises have to offer, but what should the Mariners ask in return?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports have been surfacing that the Yankees, Mets and Padres have been inquiring about Ackley. I'm not sure what those franchises have to offer, but what should the Mariners ask in return?

I wouldn't be opposed to trading Ackley, but I'd like to know that the outfield was in good shape here beforehand, so just in case he turns out to be the hitter he was supposed to be when we drafted him, we're not sitting there kicking ourselves for letting him go and hot shoring up the outfield first, and I'd like to see what we could get for him. If it's gonna be a "We'll give you our disappointing draft pick for your disappointing draft pick" trade, I don't see the point.

I'd prefer it if he didn't go to the Yankees. If he turns into that great hitter, we don't need constant reminders of it on SportsCenter every night or to see him kill us in the playoffs when we get back there. If he goes to the Mets, we'd see him for two series, at most, every three years, so he wouldn't be able to do as much damage to us directly and we wouldn't have to be reminded on a regular basis that we let him go before he took off. If he goes to the Padres, we'd see him at least one series a year every year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brett Gardner is an idea. I have to imagine that if the Yankees do have interest in Dustin Ackley they would want to move him back to 2B due to the logjam they currently have at OF.

I've always liked Brett Gardner but he does not seem to fit Z's new love of power hitters. Gardner is underrated, he gets on base, runs well and plays good defense.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not want to trade Zunino. I would actually rather trade Paxton than Zunino. If you look at most rankings of the Mariners farm system they have pitcher, after pitcher, after pitcher. The Mariners have nothing in the organization at catcher after Zunino.

How do you guys feel about trading for David Price in some sort of package that includes say... D.J. Peterson, Danny Hultzen and Nick Franklin?

Hultzen was having a good year before going down with an injury and could still have some value.

EDIT: Nevermind on Hultzen. Was doing some research and just found out he is out for 2014? I did not even hear about this...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brett Gardner is an idea. I have to imagine that if the Yankees do have interest in Dustin Ackley they would want to move him back to 2B due to the logjam they currently have at OF.

I've always liked Brett Gardner but he does not seem to fit Z's new love of power hitters. Gardner is underrated, he gets on base, runs well and plays good defense.

I really like the Gardner idea. The thing about power hitters and RBI men is that they need someone to hit in.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the Gardner idea. The thing about power hitters and RBI men is that they need someone to hit in.

Gardner is a guy I like a lot. I would really like to see the Mariners try to make a move for him. He is not super flashy but he is a good ball player.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EDIT: Nevermind on Hultzen. Was doing some research and just found out he is out for 2014? I did not even hear about this...

That sucks, really good left handed starters are worth their weight. I know people seem to think that Hultzen doesn't have the ceiling of some of the other starters in the organization, but his first stint in Tacoma, he's been lights out since he has become a pro.

Feel sorry for him, to lose nearly 2 whole seasons when he seemed so close to his dream must be hard. We'll have to see how he responds.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gardner is a guy I like a lot. I would really like to see the Mariners try to make a move for him. He is not super flashy but he is a good ball player.

The problem I have with Gardner is that he's in a walk year. Is one year of Gardner worth 5 or 6 years of Paxton or 3 or 4 years of Ackley? Maybe if the Yankees include one of their over hyped prospects lol.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem I have with Gardner is that he's in a walk year. Is one year of Gardner worth 5 or 6 years of Paxton or 3 or 4 years of Ackley? Maybe if the Yankees include one of their over hyped prospects lol.

I would not give up Paxton or Walker for him. But some sort of package that includes Ackley and a lesser prospect I think makes sense for both sides. The Yankees could move Ackley to 2B and the Mariners could upgrade at OF. Not sure what it takes to get Gardner but I think he is a good option if the Mariners can't land Kemp.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sucks, really good left handed starters are worth their weight. I know people seem to think that Hultzen doesn't have the ceiling of some of the other starters in the organization, but his first stint in Tacoma, he's been lights out since he has become a pro.

Feel sorry for him, to lose nearly 2 whole seasons when he seemed so close to his dream must be hard. We'll have to see how he responds.

Yeah I didn't even know he was out for 2014 until just yesterday. Never really heard anything about it. Hope he can bounce back.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So GMZ says he doesn't wish to trade Walker...or Paxton...or Zunino. And now it was reported that Astros and Pirates called about Smoak, yes Smoak, and GMZ isn't looking to deal him?

42m 2h #Pirates have interest in free agent reliever Matt Guerrier and #Mariners switch-hitting 1B Justin Smoak.

I'm fine with keeping Smoak, actually. At least he's proven he could maybe become a league average 1B.

It's still kind of hilarious that people refer to Smoak as a switch hitting first baseman.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible that they just want to take care of these other needs first before listening to offers for Smoak or it's possible that they still believe in Smoak and he won't be going anywhere. It's still only December, so there's no rush to get rid of Smoak now, especially if there's other things they want to get done first.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rotation still needs to be addressed. If we are holding onto Paxton and Walker thats fine, but both will be on innings limits next year. I don't think its smart to think that they will hold down 2 rotation spots all year.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember where I saw the comment, so I'll post here.

Bartolo Colon signed a 2 year $20 million deal with Mets.