• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners offseason rumor/discussion thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is another reason has to sign free agents this year or it will be an even longer time before we get to mediocrity:

Have you taken a look at next year's class? "There are some decent arms," said one exec. "But there's a chance there's going to be absolutely nothing out there on the hitter's market."
The only three potential 2014-15 free agents who hit 30 home runs this year are David Ortiz, Alfonso Soriano and Adam Dunn, all of whom will be age 35 or older. And here are the only potential position players who had a WAR of 4.0 or better this season:

Hanley Ramirez -- 5.4
Colby Rasmus -- 4.8
Ortiz -- 4.4
Russell Martin -- 4.3
Chris Denorfia -- 4.3
Brett Gardner -- 4.2
"And who knows," wondered the same exec, who expects the Dodgers to lock up Hanley, "how many of those guys will even make it onto the market?"

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh Hanley Ramirez. I remember the good old days back on CBS when we all wanted to trade for him.

The Dodgers gave up Randy Choate, Nathan Eovaldi and Scott McGough to get him.

Safe to say the Dodgers won that trade. It never ceases to blow my mind how often the Mariners miss out on trades like this. Why are we never on the winning end of a Doug Fister or Hanley Ramirez trade? Why can't the Mariners find baseball's equivalent of Richard Sherman in the depths of the draft? Oh well. Life of a Mariners fan.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It never ceases to blow my mind how often the Mariners miss out on trades like this. Why are we never on the winning end of a Doug Fister or Hanley Ramirez trade? Why can't the Mariners find baseball's equivalent of Richard Sherman in the depths of the draft? Oh well. Life of a Mariners fan.

Hey now, what about Jay Buhner? I know it's been awhile, but come on, that was highway robbery! :-)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As well as the Randy Johnson Trade with Expos. Of course 2 in 35+ years isn't much to brag about.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't know if anybody else mentioned it, but moyer for bragg was excellent

also, just because the m's are terrible at it doesn't mean that trading high level prospects isn't exceedingly important. teams that build for long term success do it pretty much universally.

if the argument is that you don't want it done because you don't trust Z, then i totally understand.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope this team has something up it's sleeve because I cannot stand another dumpster dive offseason of Jack Custs and Jason Bays. Glad my Rangers did something. It's sad that I have to have a fall back team.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners have money to spend and a need for offense. Yesterday, Joel Sherman of the New York Post wrote that the team could be aggressive on free agents Jhonny Peralta, Nelson Cruz, and Mike Napoli. The latest:

So much for Jhonny Peralta.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams have tried to trade for Mariners left-handed reliever Brian Moran and he's a virtual lock to get picked up in the Rule 5 draft, tweets Peter Gammons of MLB Network. Moran pitched to a 3.45 ERA with an eye-popping 12.2 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9 in 48 Triple-A outings last season.

I just read this and it makes no sense, which in Mariners world makes perfect sense. They have a guy teams want yet are willing to let him walk for nothing? And I believe they still have 2 spots open on their 40 man roster? Don't we need a LH reliever for this season?

Last edited by a moderator:

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read this and it makes no sense, which in Mariners world makes perfect sense. They have a guy teams want yet are willing to let him walk for nothing? And I believe they still have 2 spots open on their 40 man roster? Don't we need a LH reliever for this season?

Sure the M's need one but they feel they need Carlos Peguero and Hector Noesi more. Honestly this is one of the many reasons the M's should've fired Jack Z and everyone else that has anything to do with talent evaluation in the FO.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, yup.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just got home, opened mlbtraderumors, read that and literally thought the exact same thing.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me of the Mike Carp thing but on a much smaller scale. We needed (still do) hitters and let him go for basically nothing so Jason Bay could have his roster spot.

It is so stupid I almost started laughing until I realized this was my own team making these idiotic moves.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with ya. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster Olney of ESPN believes that the Mariners will end up signing either Ubaldo Jimenez, Ervin Santana or Matt Garza.

Since all we have are rumors, we might as well enjoy them.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since all we have are rumors, we might as well enjoy them.

I have no problem with this. I would be happy with any of those guys, I don't see any red flags big enough to oppose signing any of them.

Although Garza's 42 total starts over the past two seasons are a bit concerning.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I think Ervin Santana would really benefit from pitching in Safeco.

His biggest problem is giving up the long ball. Put him in a pitchers park like Safeco and he could really benefit.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I think Ervin Santana would really benefit from pitching in Safeco.

His biggest problem is giving up the long ball. Put him in a pitchers park like Safeco and he could really benefit.

I thought that too, but I just can't get the ex-Angel to Seattle thing out of my head.

I think I am at:
1- Jimenez
2- Garza
3- Santana
4- Hughes (take him as 5th starter regardless).

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me of the Mike Carp thing but on a much smaller scale. We needed (still do) hitters and let him go for basically nothing so Jason Bay could have his roster spot.

It is so stupid I almost started laughing until I realized this was my own team making these idiotic moves.

I still hate that whole handling of Carp more than anything outside of Fister than Jack has done. He came in a more proven hitter than Smoak, in his time in the big leagues he showed he was a better hitter than Smoak yet he was tarnished by switching positions all over the place. Smoak has gotten how many chances but Carp got nixed after one big slump after an injury.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that too, but I just can't get the ex-Angel to Seattle thing out of my head.

I think I am at:
1- Jimenez
2- Garza
3- Santana
4- Hughes (take him as 5th starter regardless).

I like Garza the best but he hasn't pitched an entire season in awhile so I value him a little bit less than I would if he had shown an abiity to stay on the field and because of that I rank Garza, Jimenez and Santana fairly even. I think each of them would add a lot of value to our starting rotation.

Of course I would love to have Tanaka but certainly have my doubts that Seattle would spend the money on him.

I don't like Hughes as much as you do AZ but I am starting to come around to the idea of bringing him in on the condition he isn't the only pitcher brought in and he is not counted on to be a full time starter. I honestly think you can get better pitching out of Erasmo. I just don't want to go into a season and have to rely on a rookie pitching and Jeremy Bonderman.

I think the future is bright for Walker and a few other young pitchers we have but there is no need to continue running them out there at the major league level if they are getting shelled every start like Maurer.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like Hughes as much as you do AZ but I am starting to come around to the idea of bringing him in on the condition he isn't the only pitcher brought in and he is not counted on to be a full time starter. I honestly think you can get better pitching out of Erasmo. I just don't want to go into a season and have to rely on a rookie pitching and Jeremy Bonderman.

I wouldn't want him as the only one either, but as an addition with anther say #2 type. But the point is moot now since he signed with Minn for 3/$24M. Half of what the other three will cost most likely.

I like Garza the best but he hasn't pitched an entire season in awhile so I value him a little bit less than I would if he had shown an abiity to stay on the field and because of that I rank Garza, Jimenez and Santana fairly even. I think each of them would add a lot of value to our starting rotation.

I rated mine based on salary, durability, and upside/downside. I wanted Garza last year before getting hurt. I always thought he would be a great #2 behind Felix. If healthy, he still would be but that is a big 'If' these days.

I think the future is bright for Walker and a few other young pitchers we have but there is no need to continue running them out there at the major league level if they are getting shelled every start like Maurer.

Agreed. I never understood that philosophy.