• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2014/2015 Offseason

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many red flags around Tulo, Gonzalez, Kemp. I'd just rather the M's keep Walker/Paxton.
Keep Paxton but don't kid yourself into thinking there aren't at least orange flags around Walker after changing his delivery.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep Paxton but don't kid yourself into thinking there aren't at least orange flags around Walker after changing his delivery.

Walker doesn't make 20 mill per year.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walker doesn't make 20 mill per year.
He's also never been an MVP candidate. Tulo, Cargo, and Kemp have been. It's not your money and there's no cap. Why do you care how much they make?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which is why I'm all for trading when his perceived value is still somewhat high. I'm not saying just trade him to trade him, of course. If it happened to be for somebody with a mega/multi year contract, I'd want additional players and/or monetary compensation.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im still very skeptical on Walker. One end of the year start in Toronto isn't enough to sway my opinion on that. Its not out of line to say Elias has proven more then Walker so far. Obviously Walker has the higher ceiling it appears but the shoulder issues have to be considered. At the same time I wouldn't ship him for 1 year of Upton.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't want to start another thread but I think we all agree on keeping Paxton/Walker. Z said Iwakuma isn't moving so I'm thinking we should go 5/55$ on Melky. Just like every other article says..we already gave up our 1st round pick, why not go all in? Plus he has played with Cano before. Just like someone on mlbtraderumors said "Cruz and him can inject eachoher" hahahaha. It saves us $ and a prospect by passing on Kemp (plus Melky is younger & a switch hitter). Forget the Braves and Upton.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh can't edit again. They're the same age basically but with what Kemp is owed we would save money regardless.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's also never been an MVP candidate. Tulo, Cargo, and Kemp have been. It's not your money and there's no cap. Why do you care how much they make?

Mariners have a budget.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't want to start another thread but I think we all agree on keeping Paxton/Walker. Z said Iwakuma isn't moving so I'm thinking we should go 5/55$ on Melky. Just like every other article says..we already gave up our 1st round pick, why not go all in? Plus he has played with Cano before. Just like someone on mlbtraderumors said "Cruz and him can inject eachoher" hahahaha. It saves us $ and a prospect by passing on Kemp (plus Melky is younger & a switch hitter). Forget the Braves and Upton.

Rios or Melky would be fine. Actually getting two of Rios/Melky/Aoki would be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh can't edit again. They're the same age basically but with what Kemp is owed we would save money regardless.

Not taking any contract issues, money issues or prospects in a trade into account, the player I would want is Kemp out of the three (Cabrera and Upton being the other two). Once you take all the money and contract and trade issues into account I like the idea of Cabrera more than the others. Although I would be completely fine with trading Walker for Kemp. I think you need to take advantage of Walkers value while he still has it.

That being said if you trade for Kemp then I don't think the Mariners have much flexibility to much else for a few years because of the money he is owed but if you go with Cabrera I think it gives the M's a little more flexibility to possibly add a decent pitcher, something I would like to see them do.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not taking any contract issues, money issues or prospects in a trade into account, the player I would want is Kemp out of the three (Cabrera and Upton being the other two). Once you take all the money and contract and trade issues into account I like the idea of Cabrera more than the others. Although I would be completely fine with trading Walker for Kemp. I think you need to take advantage of Walkers value while he still has it.

That being said if you trade for Kemp then I don't think the Mariners have much flexibility to much else for a few years because of the money he is owed but if you go with Cabrera I think it gives the M's a little more flexibility to possibly add a decent pitcher, something I would like to see them do.

See that's the other plus, by saving $ with Melky, then we have more $ to spend on little complimentary pieces as if we land Kemp we lose another pitcher and basically handcuff ourselves from adding little pieces. I actually wouldn't mind picking up Aoki if and after we get Melky as sort of a 4th OF that or Rios.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See that's the other plus, by saving $ with Melky, then we have more $ to spend on little complimentary pieces as if we land Kemp we lose another pitcher and basically handcuff ourselves from adding little pieces. I actually wouldn't mind picking up Aoki if and after we get Melky as sort of a 4th OF that or Rios.

I think if they were to sign two of Melky/Rios/Aoki, Ackley would be the 4th OFer until he proves otherwise....

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not crazy about Melky's defense but offensively it would be nice to put him in the 1 or 2 slot. He actually had a higher SLG% then Cano and Seagar last year and his OBP would trail only Cano here. I dont have much interest in Rios unless its for dirt cheap, he really fell off last year.

I think LMC has gone on record saying he prefers hitting Ackley lower in the order which isnt exactly a ringing endorsement. I think that was my biggest beef with the Saunders trade is that it essentially handed Ackley a starting spot unless we plan on getting two corner Ofs. But this makes me think we are looking more at 1-2 hitter for the corner OF has a oppose to a 5-6 one.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rumors about Gomes are true, then maybe he would be the next LF and Ackley would be trade bait? Just thinking out loud, but if Cruz is to bat DH 75% of the time like said by M's then why still look at Gomes? Just thinking aloud.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was actually thinking with that extra money they should go out and get Yoan Moncada. He would be more of a prospect than immediate contributor but I would love for the Mariners to get their hands on one of these Cuban talents.

I am actually against the M's getting Rios, I would rather have Aoki out of the two.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rumors about Gomes are true, then maybe he would be the next LF and Ackley would be trade bait? Just thinking out loud, but if Cruz is to bat DH 75% of the time like said by M's then why still look at Gomes? Just thinking aloud.

I am not a fan of Gomes. Would much rather have Ackley play.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a fan of Gomes. Would much rather have Ackley play.

I would be for a bench bat or platoon player with Morrison. My original point was if they are looking for a LF bat (which I assume Gomes still is), then what does that say for Ackley? I would guess trade bait for a team looking for a 2B. Maybe Atlanta who wants a short term 2B for Upton, and/or pitcher, then they move him back to LF when their guy is ready. Maybe an Ackley/Wilhelmsen for Upton/Prospect trade?

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be for a bench bat or platoon player with Morrison. My original point was if they are looking for a LF bat (which I assume Gomes still is), then what does that say for Ackley? I would guess trade bait for a team looking for a 2B. Maybe Atlanta who wants a short term 2B for Upton, and/or pitcher, then they move him back to LF when their guy is ready. Maybe an Ackley/Wilhelmsen for Upton/Prospect trade?

Ackley can play 1B decently right? LoMo could be the bench bat.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually thinking with that extra money they should go out and get Yoan Moncada. He would be more of a prospect than immediate contributor but I would love for the Mariners to get their hands on one of these Cuban talents.

I am actually against the M's getting Rios, I would rather have Aoki out of the two.

Ya I made a thread about Yoan but the next day I was like "why?" I mean they skipped on Abreu & Tomas. I don't think they will go with an even younger player. They missed out on the perfect age/prime years and if anything it might have made Alex Jackson available in a trade. We need to be holding on to him now.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what its worth, exerpt from the TNT: Your primer for the Winter Meetings: Five things to watch | Mariners Insider - The News Tribune
B4NdTIMCQAAonD2.png