• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2014/2015 Offseason

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all it took a-fraud to never pop positive on a PED test was to use mid-stream urine, and now we know he's been on them for a decade or more.

make no mistake, PED use is still ubiquitous. it takes a true moron to get caught.

but yeah, no thanks to the braun idea.

I know midstream urine works too..best with Certo fruit pectin. All the rumors about how it can block things is true..I used it on a UA before but you have to follow directions 100%.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners Still Seeking Right Fielder

By Steve Adams [December 1, 2014 at 12:44pm CST]
Earlier today, news broke that the Mariners and Nelson Cruz had agreed to a four-year deal. While some assumed that he would serve in an outfield capacity, Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that the M’s prefer to use Cruz in a DH role and will still seek a right fielder from outside the organization. According to Dutton, two possibilities are free agents Torii Hunter and Alex Rios.

Dutton also reports that the Mariners still have interest in acquiring Matt Kemp from the Dodgers, but those talks have stalled due to Los Angeles’ insistence that one of Taijuan Walker or James Paxton be included in the deal. Additionally, he adds, the Orioles have shown increased interest in Kemp, presenting Seattle with competition to acquire his services.

One player whose name has surfaced in trade speculation is right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma, as many feel he could be a fit for the Red Sox in a potential swap for Yoenis Cespedes. However, ESPN’s Jayson Stark hears that Iwakuma is firmly unavailable, as the Mariners are looking to add to the club rather than subtract ([ame="[MEDIA=twitter]539484279190081537[/MEDIA]"]Twitter link[/ame]).

The Mariners feel they have the payroll flexibility to add Kemp (and thereby Hunter or Rios as well, of course) even after signing Cruz and working out a seven-year, $100MM extension for Kyle Seager. Kemp is owed $107MM over the next five seasons — a hefty investment for a power bat whose defensive skills appear to be diminishing as well.

Dutton’s report makes no mention of Justin Upton, although it would stand to reason that if Kemp is still in play, there would be continued interest in Upton as well, to whom the Mariners have been linked on multiple occasions. However, as Andy Martino of the New York Daily News [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]539455078055571457[/MEDIA]"]tweeted[/ame] after Cruz’s agreement, the Braves “almost certainly” would ask for Walker in exchange for Upton, so Seattle’s interest there figures to be limited until the asking price changes.

Both Hunter and Rios would provide a veteran right-handed bat to bring further balance to a lineup that was extremely left-handed in 2014. Hunter has recently been said to be considering the Mariners as well as the Rangers, Orioles, Royals and, to a lesser extent, the Twins. Rios, meanwhile, has yet to see his name surface in too many rumors, perhaps due to a down season at the plate (.280/.311/.398). The Mariners were said to consider him a fallback option earlier this month. Should the Mariners think on a larger scale, Melky Cabrera remains a free agent, and the price for parting with him is now slightly diminished, as Seattle would only need part with its second pick after forfeiting the No. 19 pick to sign Cruz.

In addition to the names listed, the Mariners do have a fairly strong in-house candidate in the form of Michael Saunders. However, Saunders is a left-handed bat and his relationship with the organization was strained after some postseason comments from GM Jack Zduriencik and manager Lloyd McClendon. The Mariners were said to be shopping Saunders as recently as last month’s GM Meetings, and those talks could of course be revisited at next week’s Winter

Last edited by a moderator:

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure everyone agrees that any deal is a pass if it involves Paxton. The Mariners would need to get their doors blown off on an offer in order to entertain the idea of dealing him. You don't deal a young LH that has plus stuff and plus potential and has already proven himself in the big leagues for guys with contracts and baggage.

for sure.

paxton's the type of kid you build a future for your ballclub around, much as we should have done with Felix, but never did.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Banned 10X - Good stuff. :suds:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Mariners feel they have the financial flexibility to add Matt Kemp who is owed $21.5m per year for 5 more years, why not go after Melky Cabrera? He would be significantly less expensive, and wouldn't require the Mariners to give up a prospect, or in the Red Sox case, a starting pitcher.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Mariners feel they have the financial flexibility to add Matt Kemp who is owed $21.5m per year for 5 more years, why not go after Melky Cabrera? He would be significantly less expensive, and wouldn't require the Mariners to give up a prospect, or in the Red Sox case, a starting pitcher.
If we have that kind of money, why not trade for Upton?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we have that kind of money, why not trade for Upton?

Because of the cost of a quality pitcher we can't afford to give up unless we can replace him first. One year of Upton is crazy unless we only give up something of very little use to us like Ramirez, Saunders, Jackson, or a bullpen arm.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now trade for Morneau and sign Rios/Cabrera/Markakis.

CF-Jackson/Jones
RF-Rios
2B-Cano
DH-Cruz
1B-Morneau
3B-Seager
C-Zunino
LF-Ackley/Saunders
SS-Taylor/Miller

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CF-Jackson/Jones
RF-Rios
2B-Cano
DH-Cruz
1B-Morneau
3B-Seager
C-Zunino
LF-Ackley/Saunders
SS-Taylor/Miller

Someone has a man-crush on Morneau...lol. I would take him if the price was right...say Ramirez.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, it's just I don't know of any other 1B that's of his caliber, cheap contract and potentially available without giving up too much.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of the cost of a quality pitcher we can't afford to give up unless we can replace him first. One year of Upton is crazy unless we only give up something of very little use to us like Ramirez, Saunders, Jackson, or a bullpen arm.

My bad, I should have finished my point. Point being, if we have the crazy cash it would take to pay Kemp, then why not trade for Upton with an approved extension? Not sure how much he will require, but 5-years @ $20 million per year like Kemp sounds pretty close.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CF-Jackson/Jones
RF-Rios
2B-Cano
DH-Cruz
1B-Morneau
3B-Seager
C-Zunino
LF-Ackley/Saunders
SS-Taylor/Miller

I feel that you still have to have solid kids on the roster, and can't completely sell out your future for 2-3 years of vets. I like Morrison, and feel he deserves the 1b position going into spring. Lock up an outfielder and starting pitcher, then it's a wrap.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad, I should have finished my point. Point being, if we have the crazy cash it would take to pay Kemp, then why not trade for Upton with an approved extension? Not sure how much he will require, but 5-years @ $20 million per year like Kemp sounds pretty close.

Ah gotcha. I would rather do that if possible as well. :agree:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, it's just I don't know of any other 1B that's of his caliber, cheap contract and potentially available without giving up too much.

I feel that you still have to have solid kids on the roster, and can't completely sell out your future for 2-3 years of vets. I like Morrison, and feel he deserves the 1b position going into spring. Lock up an outfielder and starting pitcher, then it's a wrap.

I agree that we should stick with Morrison at 1B, especially considering the way he hit the last 3rd or so of the season.

I also do not trust Justin Morneau. After his concussion problems in Minn it took him forever to even see the field on a regular basis. I think Morrison has the talent to be as good as Morneau would be for us and he's already on the roster.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3