• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2014/2015 Offseason

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am getting to the point in which M's signing Rios and Young along with Anderson (SP) as being a successful off season. Ug, but true.

I'd rather have Rios at 10 mill per over Kemp and his salary since the M's have a pretty tight budget. Not to mention you wouldn't have to give up Walker. Also Rios>Cespedes AND you'd get to keep Kuma.

Last edited by a moderator:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have Rios at 10 mill per over Kemp and his salary since the M's have a pretty tight budget. Not to mention you wouldn't have to give up Walker. Also Rios>Cespedes and you'd get to keep Kuma.

That was the basis for my signings above. Cheap, but still productive and gets us to next year where more OF bats are available. We wouldn't actually need all 3 guys I mentioned, but 2 would work and you could deal Saunders and the extra bullpen arms for a legit bat from either side of the plate (Bruce?).

Example: Saunders/Elias/Leone/Medina for Bruce/Leake/Simon

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am getting to the point in which M's signing Rios and Young along with Anderson (SP) as being a successful off season. Ug, but true.
I'm starting to feel that way too and while we're at it..if we miss out on our bat not only the additions you suggest but also another tier 2 type pitcher..McCarthy?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to feel that way too and while we're at it..if we miss out on our bat not only the additions you suggest but also another tier 2 type pitcher..McCarthy?

Absolutely. First goal of any team is to add talent at need positions. Second goal is just to add talent to team. McCarthy does that. I just didn't know if the cheap M's would pay his price tag of 3/$30-$36. You know M's, $100M or bust when signing guys.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torii Hunter is an interesting option.

At his age he likely wouldn't cost more than a one year contract and there is a possibility that he replicates his 2014 production in 2015.

The risk obviously being that he seriously regresses and father time finally catches up to him.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunter couldn't hurt. I would like to see quite a lot more, though, either through trades or FA signings.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dexter Fowler is another guy who could be considered in the trade market. Not a big name but an all around solid outfielder who gets on base.

I'd like to add Upton, but it appears he would cost either Paxton or Walker, neither of which I'm willing to give up for a rental. Especially considering Upton is more than likely to want to test the free agent market considering he vetoed a trade to the Mariners back when he was with the D'Backs.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN (Bowden): His idea.

Seattle Mariners | Los Angeles Dodgers | Milwaukee Brewers

Dodgers acquire: James Paxton from Seattle; Jean Segura from Milwaukee

The Dodgers are looking to lessen their outfield depth and build with younger players, while trying to win the World Series in the near future. Not an easy formula to make transactions. Matt Kemp has five years and $107 million remaining on his contract, and although I think it would be a mistake to trade him, the fact is that the Dodgers are listening to offers. The Mariners could offer them one of the best young left-handed starters in the game in Paxton to put in their rotation behind Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke and Hyun-Jin Ryu. If they could pick-up Segura in a three-way deal with the Brewers, they would have their stop-gap shortstop until top prospect Corey Seager is ready for the majors (or is moved to third base). Segura, 24, had a down year, but should return close to his 2013 form, when he hit .294 with 12 home runs and 44 stolen bases. The Dodgers would still have Yasiel Puig, Joc Pederson, Carl Crawford and Andre Ethier in their outfield.

Mariners acquire: Ryan Braun from Milwaukee

If the Mariners want to win the AL West next year, they have to acquire a big right-handed hitter to hit between Robinson Cano and Kyle Seager in their lineup, and Braun would be the perfect fit. GM Jack Zduriencik’s claim to fame when he was with the Brewers was his drafting of Braun, and he’d love to get reunited with him in Seattle. The Mariners have Chris Taylor -- who could take over shortstop for Brad Miller, who would go to Milwaukee in this potential deal -- and would still have a strong starting rotation with Felix Hernandez, Hisashi Iwakuma, Taijuan Walker and Roenis Elias, even if they traded Paxton. Of course, they would have to probably sign a mid-level free agent like Brandon McCarthy or Kyle Kendrick after a trade like this.

Brewers acquire: Matt Kemp from Los Angeles; Miller from Seattle

The Brewers had to be concerned with Braun’s loss of power during the past couple of years. Granted, it’s probably because of the numbness in his right thumb that they now think has completely healed. However, after watching Kemp the last two months of the season, there is no doubt that he would be an upgrade over Braun, and while they may lose some in the swap of shortstops, it would be worth it to have less risk with Kemp than Braun. In addition, the deal would send a wake-up call and be a clubhouse chemistry change to a team that collapsed in September.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN (Bowden): His idea.

Seattle Mariners | Los Angeles Dodgers | Milwaukee Brewers

Dodgers acquire: James Paxton from Seattle; Jean Segura from Milwaukee

The Dodgers are looking to lessen their outfield depth and build with younger players, while trying to win the World Series in the near future. Not an easy formula to make transactions. Matt Kemp has five years and $107 million remaining on his contract, and although I think it would be a mistake to trade him, the fact is that the Dodgers are listening to offers. The Mariners could offer them one of the best young left-handed starters in the game in Paxton to put in their rotation behind Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke and Hyun-Jin Ryu. If they could pick-up Segura in a three-way deal with the Brewers, they would have their stop-gap shortstop until top prospect Corey Seager is ready for the majors (or is moved to third base). Segura, 24, had a down year, but should return close to his 2013 form, when he hit .294 with 12 home runs and 44 stolen bases. The Dodgers would still have Yasiel Puig, Joc Pederson, Carl Crawford and Andre Ethier in their outfield.

Mariners acquire: Ryan Braun from Milwaukee

If the Mariners want to win the AL West next year, they have to acquire a big right-handed hitter to hit between Robinson Cano and Kyle Seager in their lineup, and Braun would be the perfect fit. GM Jack Zduriencik’s claim to fame when he was with the Brewers was his drafting of Braun, and he’d love to get reunited with him in Seattle. The Mariners have Chris Taylor -- who could take over shortstop for Brad Miller, who would go to Milwaukee in this potential deal -- and would still have a strong starting rotation with Felix Hernandez, Hisashi Iwakuma, Taijuan Walker and Roenis Elias, even if they traded Paxton. Of course, they would have to probably sign a mid-level free agent like Brandon McCarthy or Kyle Kendrick after a trade like this.

Brewers acquire: Matt Kemp from Los Angeles; Miller from Seattle

The Brewers had to be concerned with Braun’s loss of power during the past couple of years. Granted, it’s probably because of the numbness in his right thumb that they now think has completely healed. However, after watching Kemp the last two months of the season, there is no doubt that he would be an upgrade over Braun, and while they may lose some in the swap of shortstops, it would be worth it to have less risk with Kemp than Braun. In addition, the deal would send a wake-up call and be a clubhouse chemistry change to a team that collapsed in September.

Yuk no thhanks. Braun is toast without the peds. And his body is failing. Cause of said ped use

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what I said. If Jack does that, I am petitioning for Bavasi to come back.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yuk no thhanks. Braun is toast without the peds. And his body is failing. Cause of said ped use

At first I thought we would be getting Segura and I was like hmm interesting...then I saw the cost: "Paxton" then I saw it was actually Braun we would be getting...yeahhhh NO.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all it took a-fraud to never pop positive on a PED test was to use mid-stream urine, and now we know he's been on them for a decade or more.

make no mistake, PED use is still ubiquitous. it takes a true moron to get caught.

but yeah, no thanks to the braun idea.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure everyone agrees that any deal is a pass if it involves Paxton. The Mariners would need to get their doors blown off on an offer in order to entertain the idea of dealing him. You don't deal a young LH that has plus stuff and plus potential and has already proven himself in the big leagues for guys with contracts and baggage.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure everyone agrees that any deal is a pass if it involves Paxton. The Mariners would need to get their doors blown off on an offer in order to entertain the idea of dealing him. You don't deal a young LH that has plus stuff and plus potential and has already proven himself in the big leagues for guys with contracts and baggage.

:10:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all it took a-fraud to never pop positive on a PED test was to use mid-stream urine, and now we know he's been on them for a decade or more.

make no mistake, PED use is still ubiquitous. it takes a true moron to get caught.

but yeah, no thanks to the braun idea.

He'll be juicing again and not get caught, just like Cabrera and Cruz. I wouldn't be surprised if Braun comes back in a big way next year and returns to his previous form.

I'll be in the obviously strong minority and say I would be okay with a trade that gives up Miller and Paxton for Braun. I could be wrong and Braun may never be the same, but I would be surprised if he doesn't hit 25+/100+/.300/.350/.500 next year.

A guy who can hit like that is well worth Paxton and Miller IMO. Although I would rather it be Walker. Walker has the higher upside, but Paxton has looked more impressive in the MLB to me so far.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be juicing again and not get caught, just like Cabrera and Cruz. I wouldn't be surprised if Braun comes back in a big way next year and returns to his previous form.

I'll be in the obviously strong minority and say I would be okay with a trade that gives up Miller and Paxton for Braun. I could be wrong and Braun may never be the same, but I would be surprised if he doesn't hit 25+/100+/.300/.350/.500 next year.

A guy who can hit like that is well worth Paxton and Miller IMO. Although I would rather it be Walker. Walker has the higher upside, but Paxton has looked more impressive in the MLB to me so far.

Booooo! Ban the minority voter for life!!!!! :wtf2::lame::gaah:

Ya, I would have to disagree with you on this. Maybe it is just my disgust for Braun and love for Paxton. Elias and Miller and I may be able to live with it, but Paxton should be a lifer in my opinion whether he breaks down or not. Just way too much upside on that kid.

:lol:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Booooo! Ban the minority voter for life!!!!! :wtf2::lame::gaah:

Ya, I would have to disagree with you on this. Maybe it is just my disgust for Braun and love for Paxton. Elias and Miller and I may be able to live with it, but Paxton should be a lifer in my opinion whether he breaks down or not. Just way too much upside on that kid.

:lol:

I personally have no disgust for Braun. My only opinion of him is that he was dumb enough to get caught.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be pretty PO'd if they trade Walker or Paxton for Kemp/Braun/Upton.

Hopefully the M's have learned from the countless dumb trades they've made similar to these Kemp/Braun/Upton rumors.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally have no disgust for Braun. My only opinion of him is that he was dumb enough to get caught.

I actually don't have a problem with the cheating so much. I did with the guys who went to the extreme looking like the Hulk (Bonds, Canseco, McGwire), but the problem I have with him is his bold face lies on TV and then getting a guy in charge of mailing the tests fired. Just shows he has no morals which I do have a problem with even as a player. That guy will kill you in the end because of it.