• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2014/2015 Offseason

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to the four players noted yesterday, the Mariners are interested in Evan Gattis of the Braves, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. Seattle is determined to come away with one of Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, Nelson Cruz, Yoenis Cespedes, and Gattis, per the report. The M’s made a competitive offer for Victor Martinez before he re-signed with the Tigers, Heyman adds.

---------------

Talk is cheap. Jack is an idiot. Happy Thanksgiving.

I would've liked to had V-Mart, but not at the price he signed for. The Tigers massively overpaid for him. Martinez is 35, albeit he is coming off of a career year, but do you really expect him to hit like that from 37-39? I would've given him a 3 year contract, but not 4.

Not a fan of Gattis as the centerpiece of our offseason. He is a nice complementary part, but if he is the sole addition of this offseason we are going to regress next year because we need an improvement strong enough on offense to compensate for the very likely regression in pitching.

I feel like a lot of guys on this forum like Gattis, but I see him as a complementary addition at best. If the Mariners walk away with only Gattis then I'd see this offseason as a failure.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners have contacted the Red Sox about Cespedes and the Red Sox are listening. Supposedly the first offer is Iwakuma. They have the Sox attention because the Red Sox have to move at least three outfielders. If the Red Sox can't sign John Lester then they will counter offer with Cespedes and someone else (Bogearts?) for Felix.

The Reds have also contacted the Red Sox about Cespedes and they're offering Ian Kennedy. Kennedy's salary is $200,000 less than Cespedes and he's also a free agent 2016. The Red Sox supposedly told the Reds they want Leake.

Ben Cherington has publicly stated that he wants all of the major stuff done by Christmas Eve. Whatever happens, it's going to happen quick.

Sorry, but that is literally one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum all year.

I wouldn't even give you Iwakuma for a rental and 1 top tier prospect who is yet to show anything at the major league level.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners have contacted the Red Sox about Cespedes and the Red Sox are listening. Supposedly the first offer is Iwakuma. They have the Sox attention because the Red Sox have to move at least three outfielders. If the Red Sox can't sign John Lester then they will counter offer with Cespedes and someone else (Bogearts?) for Felix.
Feel free to not respond if it's the former, but...

...was this a thought from your brain or a quoted post from a mentally handicapped Red Sox blog?

That might be the dumbest idea ever. Congrats :L

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just quoting, better "generalizing" columns that are appearing here in New England. They state outright that the Mariners have offered Ikawuma. The writer said that the Red Sox are trying to put something together that would get them Felix. I have no personal knowledge of either, because I don't have Ben Cherington's phone cloned, so I'm just repeating what we're seeing. After signing Pablo and Hanley, baseball was getting a lot of space in the local papers. The Sox have upped their offer to Lester and I'm sure that the beat writers and anyone else who writes for local radio and TV outlets are trying to out do each other and break any story that will keep interest high.

There's a lot of interest in Cespedes. I don't doubt that the Mariners are interested. Did they offer Ikawuma? The writers say they did. You don't think so? That's your opinion. Do you work for the Mariners front office and have first hand knowledge? Or are you just stating your expert opinion?

I'm just giving Mariner fans what's being printed here in New England. It gives people who don't live in this area an idea of what we see and why we start talking about your players.

I cantell you this....Red Sox owner John Henry stated publicly that the Luxury Tax is not a concern. We know the he's going to spend for free agents. We also know that the Red Sox desperately need a #1 and #2 and probably a #3 starter. They have six outfielders on their present roster. They've also said pub licly that can't keep six starting outfielders..........do the math.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just quoting, better "generalizing" columns that are appearing here in New England. They state outright that the Mariners have offered Ikawuma. The writer said that the Red Sox are trying to put something together that would get them Felix. I have no personal knowledge of either, because I don't have Ben Cherington's phone cloned, so I'm just repeating what we're seeing. After signing Pablo and Hanley, baseball was getting a lot of space in the local papers. The Sox have upped their offer to Lester and I'm sure that the beat writers and anyone else who writes for local radio and TV outlets are trying to out do each other and break any story that will keep interest high.

There's a lot of interest in Cespedes. I don't doubt that the Mariners are interested. Did they offer Ikawuma? The writers say they did. You don't think so? That's your opinion. Do you work for the Mariners front office and have first hand knowledge? Or are you just stating your expert opinion?

I'm just giving Mariner fans what's being printed here in New England. It gives people who don't live in this area an idea of what we see and why we start talking about your players.

I cantell you this....Red Sox owner John Henry stated publicly that the Luxury Tax is not a concern. We know the he's going to spend for free agents. We also know that the Red Sox desperately need a #1 and #2 and probably a #3 starter. They have six outfielders on their present roster. They've also said pub licly that can't keep six starting outfielders..........do the math.

You have to admit BigKen, mentioning Felix in such a trade is hilarious? You're talking about quite possibly the best pitcher in baseball in a trade for a good player that's not elite. It's like Boston waited until New York got out of the rumor mill for Felix so they could slide right in to eventually not get him. :doh:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mentioning any trade rumor suggesting REDS trading Ian Kennedy to Red Sox is hilarious itself since Kennedy plays for Padres.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Reds have also contacted the Red Sox about Cespedes and they're offering Ian Kennedy. Kennedy's salary is $200,000 less than Cespedes and he's also a free agent 2016. The Red Sox supposedly told the Reds they want Leake.

Ben Cherington has publicly stated that he wants all of the major stuff done by Christmas Eve. Whatever happens, it's going to happen quick.

:L

holy shit, that is officially the dumbest thing I've read here on SportsHoopla and that's saying a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like a lot of guys on this forum like Gattis, but I see him as a complementary addition at best. If the Mariners walk away with only Gattis then I'd see this offseason as a failure.

I would like Gattis and mentioned it many times, but agree 100% that he would only be a piece to solving the puzzle and not the final piece. I want a solid 1-9 lineup, or as solid as we can get, and he would be part of that as a DH/1B and backup C/LF. A's do that with their guys all the time and it expands your roster while still only using 25 men. The offensive upgrade at the DH position would be nice as well. Add Melky and trade for Bruce would be nice for me. 2 RH's and a LH bat makes this lineup a real competent lineup. As always, the price has to be right on all 3, but more so on any trade.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No number of your outfielders will allow you to trade for Felix Hernandez. How's that for math?

Felix doesn't care if your owner isn't concerned with the luxury tax because Felix isn't concerned with being on another team.

Kuma? Sure. Felix? Ha!

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just quoting, better "generalizing" columns that are appearing here in New England. They state outright that the Mariners have offered Ikawuma. The writer said that the Red Sox are trying to put something together that would get them Felix blah blah blah

All one needs to be is a baseball fan to understand that the trade you (or whatever writer you were quotin) mentioned for Felix is moronic.

The writer who said it is a moron, and you're a moron if you think it would ever happen. Likewise, you're also a moron if you think the Red Sox have enough resources to trade to acquire any marquee player, much less Felix Hernandez.

I saw another New England beat writer say how great a trade of Paxton for Cespedes would be for both teams.

Just wow.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athletics designated 1B/OF Kyle Blanks for assignment.

Blanks was the victim of a roster crunch in the wake of Friday's deal with the Blue Jays. The 28-year-old slugger hit .309/.409/.436 in 55 at-bats between the A's and Padres in 2014 before his season was derailed by tendinitis in his left Achilles. He shouldn't have a problem finding another organization willing to give him an opportunity.

----------------

Jack liked him and asked Pads about him before being dealt to A's. This may be our big off season addition. Stay tuned.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would certainly help compensate for the fact that they seriously regressed by shipping Donaldson to the Blue Jays.

That and it would be the perfect way to take away 1 or 2 possible trade targets and leave us with either Kemp/Cespedes/Cruz. That Cruz deal is looking better and better as time goes by...If they're smart they would court a pitcher and trade Iwakuma for Cespedes if possible as well. Tired of saying it!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there even 2 guys on the Red Sox roster combined that are worth a Felix trade?

If the deal is right I'm fine with trading Walker for Upton if it involves more than just Upton. Sure Upton has one year left but it's going to be hard not to give up the farm in a trade for an offensive player under team control. And besides if you are in the FO (a normal front office) you are trying to upgrade regardless of team control because the fans are on the verge of a mutiny. Fans aren't showing up as of now but if they stop buying merchandise and don't watch that is going to cost them huge money by the time they sell.

Seattle needs to not just focus on one deal. Iwakuma should be in one deal, Walker in another then Jackson needs to be in another. Teams have to still find value in Jackson even though he was a poor mans James Jones with the Mariners.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lookout Landing's 3 team trades ideas:

BOS receives: Jeff Samardzija, John Jaso, Danny Farquhar
SEA receives: Yoenis Cespedes, Mike Napoli
OAK receives: Brad Miller, Garin Cecchini

or

ATL receives: SP Jeff Samardzija, OF Michael Saunders, SP Jarrod Parker
SEA receives: OF Justin Upton, OF Craig Gentry
OAK receives: SS Chris Taylor, C/OF Evan Gattis

or

ATL receives: SP Sonny Gray
SEA receives: OF Justin Upton
OAK receives: SS Brad Miller, C/OF Evan Gattis

Thoughts?

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there even 2 guys on the Red Sox roster combined that are worth a Felix trade?

If the deal is right I'm fine with trading Walker for Upton if it involves more than just Upton. Sure Upton has one year left but it's going to be hard not to give up the farm in a trade for an offensive player under team control. And besides if you are in the FO (a normal front office) you are trying to upgrade regardless of team control because the fans are on the verge of a mutiny. Fans aren't showing up as of now but if they stop buying merchandise and don't watch that is going to cost them huge money by the time they sell.

Seattle needs to not just focus on one deal. Iwakuma should be in one deal, Walker in another then Jackson needs to be in another. Teams have to still find value in Jackson even though he was a poor mans James Jones with the Mariners.

There should only be a mutiny if they trade Walker for one season of Upton. Only do it if they first sign Upton long term.

Honestly I'd rather have Rios+Walker over Upton.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am getting to the point in which M's signing Rios and Young along with Anderson (SP) as being a successful off season. Ug, but true.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After looking over the available free agents, here is my new wish list. Big names are nowhere to be found because Jack Can't get one w/o extremely overpaying for one.

Kyle Blanks (1B/LF)DH) - $1M
Delmon Young (1B/LF/DH) - $3M
Mark Reynolds (1B/3B/DH) - $4M
Brett Anderson (SP/RP) - $6M
Gavin Floyd (SP) - $5M
Luke Gregerson (RP) - $5M

$24M for 6 players. We add SP's which we need since we have 7, yes 7, MLB ready SP's in our organization. We wouldn't be athletic by any means, but we add RH power.

C- Zunino
1B- Morrison/Reynolds
2B - Cano
3B- Seager
SS- Miller/Taylor
LF- Ackley
CF- Jackson
RF- Jones/Blanks
DH- Young

BN- Sucre/Bloomquist

SP's - Felix/Kuma/Paxton/Walker/Elias
RP's - Rodney/Wihelmsen/Furbush/Anderson/Floyd/Gregerson

Luetge/Medina/Maurer/Leone/Farquhar are interchangeable with M's backend RP's or made avilable in trade for high level prospects. Floyd and Anderson can interchange with Walker and Elias depending on their readiness. Saunders would be dealt for high level prospect(s) since they don't want him.

Having fun with numbers. :noidea:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lineups:

Vs LH;

1- Jackson
2- Ackley
3- Cano
4- Young
5- Seager
6- Reynolds
7- Blanks
8- Zunino
9- Taylor

Vs RH's;

1- Jackson
2- Ackley
3- Cano
4- Seager
5- Morrison
6- Zunino
7- Young/Blanks/Reynolds (play hot hand)
8- Miller
9- Jones