• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2014/2015 Offseason

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A RH cheap power option:

Red Sox designated 3B Juan Francisco for assignment.

Francisco's stay in Boston was brief, as the team grabbed him off waivers from the Blue Jays less than a week prior. Francisco was insurance in the event the club couldn't land a big-name third baseman. He was DFA'd to make room for Hanley Ramirez, but Francisco won't be out of a job for long.

Scratch that. He throws right, but bats left. Still like him for a platoon. :L

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce is LH and just isn't an attractive trade target imo.
And Cruz is RH. It's not like we only need RH bats. We need professional hitters from either side and Jay Bruce would immediately upgrade our power from Ackley's spot, the DH black hole we've had, or possibly be an option at 1B.

The guy has averaged .251/31/92 over his career and he's only 28. I really don't know what's not attractive about that when you look at our recent offense.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Cruz is RH. It's not like we only need RH bats. We need professional hitters from either side and Jay Bruce would immediately upgrade our power from Ackley's spot, the DH black hole we've had, or possibly be an option at 1B.

The guy has averaged .251/31/92 over his career and he's only 28. I really don't know what's not attractive about that when you look at our recent offense.

Bruce is an option but he is coming off of a really bad season in which he hit .217/.281/.373 with only 18 HRs. If not for this regression, I'd say Bruce is a terrific idea, but he is a risk.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the Mariners ownership would once again nix a deal with Nelson Cruz.

Considering the fact that had the Mariners signed Cruz we would've made the playoffs, I find it unlikely. Cruz is sort of risky though considering his injury history and age.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce is an option but he is coming off of a really bad season in which he hit .217/.281/.373 with only 18 HRs. If not for this regression, I'd say Bruce is a terrific idea, but he is a risk.

Sorry if I missed it, but where is the Bruce idea coming from? Did a poster suggest that or are their rumors?

Not sure why Cinci would want to trade him. And what it would take if they did.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry if I missed it, but where is the Bruce idea coming from? Did a poster suggest that or are their rumors?

Not sure why Cinci would want to trade him. And what it would take if they did.
I heard rumors of Cin possibly moving some players on tv, offered up the idea, then it was rumored that Toronto was talking about him specifically, so a little of both.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, every player is a risk.

Pretty sure Bruce had some knee issues last season and "only" 18 HR would be 3rd on this team. I don't see it as regression, but an effect of playing hurt. He's only 28, still in his prime years, and he'd obviously have to pass a physical were a trade to happen.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not on the block, but they should, at the very least, listen to offers (but not from armchair GMs). This team hasn't been in the playoffs in 11 years. Every player in the entire organization should be available.

That being said, I agree with you that Paxton for Cespedes would be a foolish trade. I'm not sure Jack Z is even that stupid. But you never know. He doesn't seem to value pitchers much. He jettisoned Fister, Vargas, and Pineda out of town pretty quickly.

Everyone should be on the block I agree, but any package involving Paxton has to be for a proven stud. Outside of Felix he is the only pitcher the Mariners have shown any confidence in. Without Paxton the Mariners have Felix, a Japanese pitcher in which their normal life span in 3-4 years, a pitcher Lloyd hates so basically Felix. No matter how much they upgrade the offense it won't matter if they make their pitching staff below average.

For better or for worse Lloyd and Jack have made Felix 1a and Paxton 1b.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3m3 minutes ago #Mariners RHP Erasmo Ramirez with six scoreless innings for Lara in 6-3 victory over Margarita in Venezuela. Now 0 ER in 24 IP in 4 starts.

===============

Trade him now before he comes back down the earth.

Well with Lloyd's only comments on Walker's boxscores he should be thrilled with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scratch that. He throws right, but bats left. Still like him for a platoon. :L

Ya, we can't keep loading the lineup with lefties. If Saunders can't play everyday against a lefty I can't imagine him bringing in another lefty and use him anything other than a platoon. The M's don't need a platoon player, they need a protector for Cano and Seager and preferably a righty so it can either waste a bullpen arm or draw IBB.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, every player is a risk.

Pretty sure Bruce had some knee issues last season and "only" 18 HR would be 3rd on this team. I don't see it as regression, but an effect of playing hurt. He's only 28, still in his prime years, and he'd obviously have to pass a physical were a trade to happen.

I wouldn't bank on his power numbers being anywhere near what they were in Cinci if he is brought here, even if he comes in fully healthy. That ballpark is a launching pad, while Safeco Field, along with the other ballparks in the division other than Rangers Ballpark, is decidedly not. Still, the production from our outfield was so bad last year that even if his power numbers took a sizable hit from his Cinci days, he would still probably outperform all of those guys by himself.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't bank on his power numbers being anywhere near what they were in Cinci if he is brought here, even if he comes in fully healthy. That ballpark is a launching pad, while Safeco Field, along with the other ballparks in the division other than Rangers Ballpark, is decidedly not. Still, the production from our outfield was so bad last year that even if his power numbers took a sizable hit from his Cinci days, he would still probably outperform all of those guys by himself.
Right, I understand Cinn is a hitter's paradise, but if the guy is healthy, which he would have to be to pass a physical, you go by his healthy numbers, which are much better than last season. You're still looking at 30/100 and adjusting for a change in home ballpark, no worse than 20+/80+. Who doesn't think we need to add a 20 HR 80 RBI guy to this lineup?

And add that to the rest of my rosterbation, signing Cruz, who should have been here last year, a 3,4,5,6 of Cano, Cruz, Seager, Bruce should score us the runs needed to make the playoffs.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, I understand Cinn is a hitter's paradise, but if the guy is healthy, which he would have to be to pass a physical, you go by his healthy numbers, which are much better than last season. You're still looking at 30/100 and adjusting for a change in home ballpark, no worse than 20+/80+. Who doesn't think we need to add a 20 HR 80 RBI guy to this lineup?

And add that to the rest of my rosterbation, signing Cruz, who should have been here last year, a 3,4,5,6 of Cano, Cruz, Seager, Bruce should score us the runs needed to make the playoffs.

The only problem I have with Bruce,Kemp,Upton are they'd probably require a top prospect. That said I'd rather pick up a guy like Rios,Markakis,Cabrera for free.

I'd be satisfied with:

CF-Jackson/Saunders
RF-Rios/Markakis/Cabrera
2B-Cano
DH-Cruz/Morales
1B-Morneau
3B-Seager
C-Zunino
LF-Ackley
SS-Taylor/Miller

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners have contacted the Red Sox about Cespedes and the Red Sox are listening. Supposedly the first offer is Iwakuma. They have the Sox attention because the Red Sox have to move at least three outfielders. If the Red Sox can't sign John Lester then they will counter offer with Cespedes and someone else (Bogearts?) for Felix.

The Reds have also contacted the Red Sox about Cespedes and they're offering Ian Kennedy. Kennedy's salary is $200,000 less than Cespedes and he's also a free agent 2016. The Red Sox supposedly told the Reds they want Leake.

Ben Cherington has publicly stated that he wants all of the major stuff done by Christmas Eve. Whatever happens, it's going to happen quick.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners have contacted the Red Sox about Cespedes and the Red Sox are listening. Supposedly the first offer is Iwakuma. They have the Sox attention because the Red Sox have to move at least three outfielders. If the Red Sox can't sign John Lester then they will counter offer with Cespedes and someone else (Bogearts?) for Felix.

"they will counter offer with Cespedes and someone else (Bogearts?) for Felix".

LMFAO

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that's right up there with the boston moron who was talking about a straight up trade of paxton for cespedes.

boston owners need to just keep spending money. they don't have the goods anywhere in their system to pull off a big trade on their own.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds have also contacted the Red Sox about Cespedes and they're offering Ian Kennedy. Kennedy's salary is $200,000 less than Cespedes and he's also a free agent 2016. The Red Sox supposedly told the Reds they want Leake.

When did Ian Kennedy go to the Reds?

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem I have with Bruce,Kemp,Upton are they'd probably require a top prospect. That said I'd rather pick up a guy like Rios,Markakis,Cabrera for free.

I'd be satisfied with:

CF-Jackson/Saunders
RF-Rios/Markakis/Cabrera
2B-Cano
DH-Cruz/Morales
1B-Morneau
3B-Seager
C-Zunino
LF-Ackley
SS-Taylor/Miller

Markakis isn't leaving Baltimore.

Last edited by a moderator: