• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2014/2015 Offseason

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are talks with Melky are at an "impasse" so don't put all your eggs in that basket just yet.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are talks with Melky are at an "impasse" so don't put all your eggs in that basket just yet.

thought that would happen. Were not desperate for hitting anymore..... (still need a player like him.... but not desperate) Let the market figure out what he's worth and i bet were still a player in his signing. But just not going to overpay right now.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desmond sounds interesting but Miller for a rental? It's too bad we couldn't swing a deal like that shipping Miller and some other pieces for Desmond & Fister (I know lol) and then take Iwakuma and trade him for Cespedes. I'm hearing Nats want to retain and extend Zimmermann. It would help with our rotation, get some pop into the SS position and score us an OF. Only prob would be they're all rentals BUT wouldn't that be a good move if we could still save Walker/Paxton/DJ? Then it would still leave us in the hunt for our RH Power bat for the 2016 offseason. I know we all make pipe dream trade scenarios but still..

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pipe dreams for sure, but if it could happen we would be looking pretty. cano was a pipe dream at one point in time.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian Desmond is a very good SS. I'd personally have no opposition to trading Brad Miller or Chris Taylor for him. Desmond would give us another good bat at a position that the Mariners didn't get much production from last year.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me Desmond was Miller just a few years back. High prospect then fell to .250's with 8 HR's and was on trade block. Then rebounded the next 3 years. I see Miller as the same type player in the same type situation.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Dodgers moved everybody today/this morning.

Out:
Gordon
Haren
Heany (just acquired)
Kemp (gone today)

In:
McCarthy
Kendrick
A few Marlins
A few Padres

Jack makes a signing and a minor trade and sits back watching baseball people work. I know there is still time in the off season, but isn't that what we said last year after Cano signing?

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Out:
Gordon
Haren
Heany (just acquired)
Kemp (gone today)

In:
McCarthy
Kendrick
A few Marlins
A few Padres

Jack makes a signing and a minor trade and sits back watching baseball people work. I know there is still time in the off season, but isn't that what we said last year after Cano signing?

We have one glaring need in RF, otherwise, we have a team ready to contend. There's a lot of chips on the table, and considering where we already stand I don't see the need for moving guy's just for the sake of moving guy's. Jack has done fine.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have one glaring need in RF, otherwise, we have a team ready to contend. There's a lot of chips on the table, and considering where we already stand I don't see the need for moving guy's just for the sake of moving guy's. Jack has done fine.

I wouldn't feel too good about going into the season with Ackley and Morrison starting in the OF+1B aswell. I'd like to have these two as reserves until they show some consistency, otherwise we have another Justin Smoak situation on our hands.

Out:
Gordon
Haren
Heany (just acquired)
Kemp (gone today)

In:
McCarthy
Kendrick
A few Marlins
A few Padres

I don't think they would've traded Saunders if they didn't have a plan in place to sign/trade for another OF.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me Desmond was Miller just a few years back. High prospect then fell to .250's with 8 HR's and was on trade block. Then rebounded the next 3 years. I see Miller as the same type player in the same type situation.

I'd give up Taylor for one year of Desmond, but wouldn't want to give up Miller unless we had some assurance that we could retain Desmondd longterm. I haven't lost faith in Miller. I think we will seee progress in him this year. The differencce between him and Ackley/Smoak/etc is that you can see the confidence in Miller. And the intensity. He's going to figure it out. He's not going to reach the numbers that he put up in AA, but he'll be much bettter than what we have seen so far.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't feel too good about going into the season with Ackley and Morrison starting in the OF+1B aswell. I'd like to have these two as reserves until they show some consistency, otherwise we have another Justin Smoak situation on our hands.

I don't think they would've traded Saunders if they didn't have a plan in place to sign/trade for another OF.

I feel that you have to have some youth/lower costs at positions if you want to continue to compete. If you want to go all in for two years then we can overpay for all of the biggest names and end up like the Phillies with or without a title. I'm fine with Ackley and Morrison just as long as we have a heart of the lineup that looks like: Melky, Cano, Cruz, Seagar. The problem with Smoak is that we relied too heavily on him to contribute, and when he didn't we felt flat as a team. In this case we have the boppers in line that will allow the Ackley's and Morrison's of the world to be roll players. Plus, if those two continue with where they left off last year in addition to what we have and a possible Melky, this team will be down right scary. All at the same time we have a well stocked farm system now with a wave of hitters within the next few years. I know we have all ridiculed Jack over the years, and a lot was self deserving, but when you look at the state of the franchise all I can do is applaud his staying the course. He has done it his way, and now the full picture is coming to light. A stocked farm system, the best bullpen in MLB, a solid starting staff with the best pitcher in baseball, and a lineup that could send at least three to the All-Star game and netting a possible tandem of Gold Gloves. What else could you ask for?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Cespedes is out too, which is good because I had no interest in him, at least not at the price of flipping one of our starters which is what the Tigers did.

I'm not incredibly worried yet that they haven't made a move for a right fielder. However if they go from trading Saunders to ending up with Viciedo I will be pissed.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also the Angels could have a potentially scary rotation soon with the Heane acquisition. Losing Kendrick may hurt this year but a future rotation of Richards, Heane, Shoemaker, Skaggs looks good.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Out:
Gordon
Haren
Heany (just acquired)
Kemp (gone today)

In:
McCarthy
Kendrick
A few Marlins
A few Padres

Dude, Im all for some MAriner Front office and Jack Z bashing but nows not the time. They signed their big bat. Their rotation is solid, deeper with the happ add. The bull pen is the same. This team missed the playoffs by one game. They are ready for a run. This wasn't the off season for wholesale changes.

Lots of time for some more shopping too.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think adding Melky to RF and the 2 hole makes the M's a legit contender.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, Im all for some MAriner Front office and Jack Z bashing but nows not the time. They signed their big bat. Their rotation is solid, deeper with the happ add. The bull pen is the same. This team missed the playoffs by one game. They are ready for a run. This wasn't the off season for wholesale changes.

:agree:

AMEN BROTHER!

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Disagree. Anytime is a good time for Jack Z bashing. It doesn't take a genius to sign high profile, can't miss free agents like Cano and Cruz, or re-sign your own high profile player like Kng Felix. Making a good trade takes a little more finesse. I want to see him make a trade for an impact bat. Just one. That's all I'm asking for. Just one.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Anytime is a good time for Jack Z bashing. It doesn't take a genius to sign high profile, can't miss free agents like Cano and Cruz, or re-sign your own high profile player like Kng Felix. Making a good trade takes a little more finesse. I want to see him make a trade for an impact bat. Just one. That's all I'm asking for. Just one.

Yes, but as we saw with Bavasi it does take half a brain to build the farm system. Jack has done that, and now we find ourselves in a position of strength in both our major league and farm systems. Personally, I would rather hold our prospects than give them up for a rental. At this point our best options are rentals from a trade stand point. I say pay Melky and let's get ready for spring.