• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend might be a hoax

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know, I'm kinda shocked and I'm a huge Notre Dame fan. Not sure if he was in on it or if he was getting Catfished. Either way, this is a huge WTF.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so his got taken by a fake internet "girlfriend? " lol

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This is one of the more bizarre sports-related stories I can think of. ND just released a statement saying they were informed by Te'o on December 26th that the girl never existed. Apparently he was duped, not the one who made her up. Still, there is a TON of skepticism floating around right now.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of the more bizarre sports-related stories I can think of. ND just released a statement saying they were informed by Te'o on December 26th that the girl never existed. Apparently he was duped, not the one who made her up. Still, there is a TON of skepticism floating around right now.

Smalls you have a link for this? This is all insanely crazy! :wtf2:

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Smalls you have a link for this? This is all insanely crazy! :wtf2:

Here's one.

Notre Dame statement: Te'o victim of a hoax - CBSSports.com

I'm not sure what to believe, to be honest. The whole thing is freaking bizarre. If Te'o was actually duped, then he's either pretty dull, or the perpetrators made this thing incredibly elaborate... or maybe some combination of the two. Who was he talking to on the phone every night? He never googled her obituary? A ton of questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow- can't believe he could have faked it for so long if this is true!

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here I thought it was just people pretending he was all-world that was deceptive. What a fraud.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Te'o and his father have been quoted several times talking about past instances where Te'o and this girlfriend have spent time together in person. They said that the two met each other after a football game at Stanford a few years ago and that she vacations in Hawaii where they have met up in person.

A friend of the guy who ran the fake twitter profile said that they are sure Te'o was in on the hoax for publicity. This is definitely hearsay but it's consistent with Te'o's claims of meeting up with her in Hawaii and at Stanford.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Te'o and his father have been quoted several times talking about past instances where Te'o and this girlfriend have spent time together in person. They said that the two met each other after a football game at Stanford a few years ago and that she vacations in Hawaii where they have met up in person.

A friend of the guy who ran the fake twitter profile said that they are sure Te'o was in on the hoax for publicity. This is definitely hearsay but it's consistent with Te'o's claims of meeting up with her in Hawaii and at Stanford.

Maybe he didn't want to admit to his parents that this was an online relationship? He could have told them that they met in person because he didn't want to tell them that they met online. So obviously, T'eo lied, but the lie might be a smaller one than a hoax. We still don't know.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moral of the story:

Don't date people on the INTERNET.

After reading the article, I think he was in on it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moral of the story:

Don't date people on the INTERNET.

After reading the article, I think he was in on it.

I won't take some friend saying he was 80% sure he was in on it as evidence of him being in on it. I feel, not you per se, but some people have taken it as if the friend has an 80% chance of being right. What does his friend know? If T'eo could be duped, so could his friend. If T'eo wasn't duped, then I guess his friend is right. But I can't go based upon his friend to figure out the likelihood of him being in on it.

Simply saying that no one would be this stupid is not evidence, either. Saying that someone could want the publicity, isn't either. There are people who do get duped. I actually know of someone who has married someone he met online in high school across the country. It could happen, it's just that it would seem you'd eventually meet. But maybe not before a year.

Also, not all friends are the same or at the same level. Is this friend a real friend? Part of the hoax worrying about getting in trouble? Is the friend someone who would actually know or just a skeptical acquaintance? Apparently, even the parents, based upon what was told to them by T'eo believed it. If the family said they believe he was in it, I'd give them more weight, unless we could find evidence of family distrust or jealousy, etc. But a "friend"? I'm a "friend" or a lot of people that I don't know THAT well. So, I'd like some more info on that - Deadspin made it sound like a friend of a friend or mutual friends of T'eo and the guy suspected of making this all up.

Maybe T'eo has been in on it after finding out so as to protect his friends?

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Notre Dame was in on it too... Making up the girlfriend as well as Manti Teo.. Couldn't find him in the championship game.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't take some friend saying he was 80% sure he was in on it as evidence of him being in on it. I feel, not you per se, but some people have taken it as if the friend has an 80% chance of being right. What does his friend know? If T'eo could be duped, so could his friend. If T'eo wasn't duped, then I guess his friend is right. But I can't go based upon his friend to figure out the likelihood of him being in on it.

Simply saying that no one would be this stupid is not evidence, either. Saying that someone could want the publicity, isn't either. There are people who do get duped. I actually know of someone who has married someone he met online in high school across the country. It could happen, it's just that it would seem you'd eventually meet. But maybe not before a year.

He said he spent actual face to face time with her in the past (as in those times she visted Hawaii), but now the girl is fake? Now his a victim of a hoax?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said he spent actual face to face time with her in the past, (as in those times she visted Hawaii), but now the girl is fake? Now his a victim of a hoax?

I don't think he thought he did. That's not what I'm saying, I know he lied. I'm saying that he might not have wanted to admit this was an online thing. I told my parents that I met my girlfriend at church and not a drinking party, when oddly I met her at the drinking party and started to date her after a game night at a church I didn't attend but was there with a friend. They now know both stories, but it was about impression, though I should have known my parents wouldn't care (they're not religious nor judgmental).

I'm not saying he couldn't be in on it, I'm just not ruling out that it could be a hoax that he wasn't in. He no doubt has lied in this, just the reasons for doing so isn't exactly clear. Now, with an investigation and public attention, he's unlikely to be very helpful in finding out something different than him being a victim. We'll have to rely on other things.