• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend might be a hoax

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Does anyone really believe Te'o was duped? That doesn't even make sense.

Have you seen that video? Make sure you haven't eaten before you watch it...

He called the chick the "love of my life." He claimed his brother called him crying to tell him the news. He said that he "couldn't do it without the support of my family and my girlfriend's family."

Her family! So there was an entire fictional family!!!??? Of whom this chick was the love of his life?

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

There's a reason this independent investigating firm Notre Dame hired claims he's lying.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance Armstrong and Boeing are pretty happy right now. Nice distraction.....

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
He called the chick the "love of my life." He claimed his brother called him crying to tell him the news. He said that he "couldn't do it without the support of my family and my girlfriend's family."

Her family! So there was an entire fictional family!!!??? Of whom this chick was the love of his life?

It doesn't make a difference to the overall story, but he actually said "her brother" called him. So apparently there were fictional relatives.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It doesn't make a difference to the overall story, but he actually said "her brother" call him. So apparently there were fictional relatives.

I thought he said HIS brother. Ok, so that makes the story even more bonkers.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my crap... This is embarrassing to even watch!

Who's the bigger douche? Teo for lying to get sympathy or Lance Armstrong lying to get money?

The douchery level in sports has reached an all-time high.

classic from youtube comments "He wasn't missing those tackles against Bama - he was hugging his girlfriend!" :omg:

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm not sure what to believe right now but the ND AD's press conference referred to multiple people playing multiple roles in an elaborately planned hoax. According to him they do not know how many different people were involved because they're not sure how many people played more than one role in phone conversations with Te'o. Te'o will soon have his own press conference which will hopefully piece together some of these glaring holes.

I have not heard any information that ND's independent firm hired to investigate found that Manti was lying.

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you seen that video? Make sure you haven't eaten before you watch it...

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

There's a reason this independent investigating firm Notre Dame hired claims he's lying.

That quote right there is "game over".

I guess these so called pranksters could've have had fake parents call him to console Teo, but even that's a stretch.

What's more amazing is that it took this long for the media to dig up the info. I'm just as disappointed at them for being so lazy with this story.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's more amazing is that it took this look for the media to dig up the info. I'm just as disappointed at them for being so lazy with this story.

I wouldn't go that far. How often do you think they've encountered some pathetic person faking a girlfriends death for publicity? It's very unusual. Typically when someone tells you their girlfriend died you don't say "BULLSHIT I'M INVESTIGATING!"

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What's more amazing is that it took this [long] for the media to dig up the info. I'm just as disappointed at them for being so lazy with this story.

I think there's a chance at least someone in the media has been sitting on this story for a while for the purpose of timing. He told the team about this on December 6th. Nobody else has known about this for 6 weeks? Doesn't seem likely.

By the way, you know that sport commentators are going to circle the wagon about this when he gets to the NFL. For some reason, there's nothing they defend with more zeal than douche baggery (probably because they see it in themselves).

*See Bill Belichick.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is possible he was duped, that kind of thing happens a lot.

The craziest story I have heard about where someone was duped online... I watched this documentary about a stupid kid in England who was duped by some gay kid who went to school with him. The gay kid pretended to be multiple people online, pretended to be a girl who e-dated the stupid kid and who was eventually murdered, pretended to be the rapist/murderer who killed the girl, pretended to be an agent with MI6 and recruited the stupid kid to be a spy. It all ended when the gay kid talked the stupid kid into attempting to murder the gay kid.

As crazy as it sounds, that gay kid seriously pretended to be an MI6 agent and he told the stupid kid that if he wanted to be a spy he had to murder the gay kid. He really convinced the stupid kid to well, kill himself, suicide by stupid kid. The stupid kid believed all of it and even bought a knife and stabbed the gay kid.

So, I believe anything is possible on the internet after watching and reading about that case. The catch is, I think that stupid kid in england had an IQ of like 75, I doubt this Te'o guy is that dumb... or is he?

In reality though, I think this guy is just a douche who was in on this hoax in order to drum up his publicity and the sob story made history since he was the first defensive player considered for the heisman, right? He is a douche.

Just to prove I didn't make that story up, I googled to find an online source.
Boy, 14, 'posed as spy to arrange his own murder' - Crime - UK - The Independent

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Whatever the case, I'd assume Te'o will hear about this for a LONG time, perhaps light-heartedly from teammates (if possible) and from opponents trying to get under his skin. It's too bizarre.

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't go that far. How often do you think they've encountered some pathetic person faking a girlfriends death for publicity? It's very unusual. Typically when someone tells you their girlfriend died you don't say "BULLSHIT I'M INVESTIGATING!"

As journalist you should always check up on the "facts". It's their job to do so, especially if you're going to make huge deal out of it during the MSU game.

This could've easily been checked up on. Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but I think the media was lazy on this one.

Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

From deadspin:

Manti Te'o did lose his grandmother this past fall. Annette Santiago died on Sept. 11, 2012, at the age of 72, according to Social Security Administration records in Nexis. But there is no SSA record there of the death of Lennay Marie Kekua, that day or any other. Her passing, recounted so many times in the national media, produces no obituary or funeral announcement in Nexis, and no mention in the Stanford student newspaper.

Nor is there any report of a severe auto accident involving a Lennay Kekua. Background checks turn up nothing. The Stanford registrar's office has no record that a Lennay Kekua ever enrolled. There is no record of her birth in the news. Outside of a few Twitter and Instagram accounts, there's no online evidence that Lennay Kekua ever existed.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note....my dead fake girlfriend is way hotter than his....

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manti Te'o first said he met her in Palo Alto after the Stanford game, now he's saying they met online.

Either this guy makes Vince Young look like a genius, or he's a pathological liar. Either way just a complete embarrassment.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Did he not attend her fake funeral?

Apparently, she said that if anything were to happen to her, she didn't want him to miss a game. She "died" during the season just before the Michigan State game. So that worked out.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't know how there's a reasonable explanation for this that doesn't make him look guilty or dumb.