• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend might be a hoax

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stuff like this makes me so cynical.

I'm starting to think Kap's tortoise might not really be tweeting.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When reading through these articles I get extrA confused after reading the names and what not lol

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is so stupid. I am enjoying many of Sickness's comments, but this is the biggest load of crap I've ever read. I hate when people try to make up sob stories to make it seam like they hav been through some shit. Don't make up stories about a fake dead girlfriend just to get attention. And don't try and make the story even weirder when you get caught nromh a douche bag.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swarbrick:
On the morning of December 26th, very early morning, Manti called his coaches to inform them that, while he was in attendance at the ESPN awards show in Orlando, he received a phone call from a number he recognized as having been that he associated with Lennay Kekua. When he answered it, it was a person whose voice sounded like the same voice he had talked to, who told him that she was, in fact, not dead.

Manti was very unnerved by that, as you might imagine. I will let him again talk about that and his reaction to it. But he maintained that secret vis a vis the members of the football family until he called the coaches on the morning of the 26th. They promptly reached out to me to inform me of this shocking piece of news, and I arranged to meet Manti upon his return to campus and did so on the afternoon of the 27th.

I met with Manti for about an hour and 45 minutes and asked him to review every detail of the relationship as he knew it with this woman. Manti did so, was forthright, answered every question, and was eager to share the information with me.

I met with him again the next day, as I had put the notes together from the previous day's meeting, to just review again what we had gone over to make sure I had all the details correct. And, again, he was a full and excellent partner in making sure that the information I collected was accurate.

I then took that information and shared it with other leaders in the university for a deliberation as to next steps, what we should do. Some additional questions of Manti were then developed, which he again promptly responded, and a decision was made to engage in an independent investigative firm to see if they could determine what was at the nature of what increasingly appeared to us to be a sophisticated hoax.

While apprised by that investigative firm of their work along the way, we received a final report from them on January 4th. I met with Brian and Ottilia Te'o in Miami on the 5th to share with them the essence of those findings. We left that meeting with an understanding that they would think about what they had heard, engaged Manti's future representation, which would be determined later in the week, in consultation as to how to best respond, and keep the university fully informed of their intentions and work in concert with us when they were ready to communicate the story.

It was my understanding is my understanding that they were on a timetable to release the story themselves next week when today's story broke.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When reached by ESPN.com on Wednesday night, former University of Washington and NFL quarterback Marques Tuiasosopo acknowledged that he is a cousin of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo but said he never had met or heard of Kekua.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an interview with ESPN for "College GameDay" on Oct. 2, Te'o said Kekua's last words to him were "I love you." He also said that she was "the most beautiful girl I've ever met."

Swarbrick said Te'o never met Kekua in person.

"What I will tell you, this was exclusively an online relationship," he said.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an interview with ESPN for "College GameDay" on Oct. 2, Te'o said Kekua's last words to him were "I love you." He also said that she was "the most beautiful girl I've ever met."

Swarbrick said Te'o never met Kekua in person.

"What I will tell you, this was exclusively an online relationship," he said.

The rest is bogus, as I now am leaning towards him making this up, but you can "meet" someone online not just face to face. My friend did so and he's now married to her. Granted, he met her online in high school and met her once he wasn't living with his parents (college). But like my friend, it seems if T'eo had thought it was real, he would have tried to see her at some point, she'd have come down to USC when he was playing them, and if she was fake all along, she'd have made up some reason not to go to USC to see him. He'd have at least maybe thought she wasn't serious? I don't know when they played USC and when the car accident was - it was in the article and on the schedule, but I'm not going to look it up - not that important.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to reserve judgement till more comes out. It makes no sense what so ever.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can an all-star high school recruit, one of the better defensive players on one of the most prominent college programs, a future NFL millionaire, be satisfied with an online relationship with a girl for over THREE years that he's never met? Sorry, but I can never - ever - buy that.

Maybe he's just in the closet.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The more I read about this, the more it seems like he got duped. I mean, tons of people are embarrassed to be involved in online dating so it makes sense that he made up a back story. And I see some are saying how far fetched it is for the fake girl to have family members, watch Catfish the documentary. It really isn't farfetched at all. For instance, this girl was tricking the guy making the documentary. They were on FB and this girl had tons of friends. All had their own profile and friendships and posts of their own. They all ended up being the same girl. I don't really buy the whole publicity thing. I think it's either what I just said or he's possible gay and wanted to post openly to the guy without being attacked online.