• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend might be a hoax

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Y'know, I used to root against this guy simply because I thought he was overrated. Now I have a whole different reason to root againat him!

PLEEEEEEEEEEASE get drafted by the Raiders or Cowboys!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said he spent actual face to face time with her in the past (as in those times she visted Hawaii), but now the girl is fake? Now his a victim of a hoax?

That part I can buy for a reason not to believe him. But the below part that I added to the post you quoted is a reason I'm not sure about the friend:

"Also, not all friends are the same or at the same level. Is this friend a real friend? Part of the hoax worrying about getting in trouble? Is the friend someone who would actually know or just a skeptical acquaintance? Apparently, even the parents, based upon what was told to them by T'eo believed it. If the family said they believe he was in it, I'd give them more weight, unless we could find evidence of family distrust or jealousy, etc. But a "friend"? I'm a "friend" of a lot of people that I don't know THAT well. So, I'd like some more info on that - Deadspin made it sound like a friend of a friend or mutual friends of T'eo and the guy suspected of making this all up.

Maybe T'eo has been in on it after finding out so as to protect his friends?"

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That part I can buy for a reason not to believe him. But the below part that I added to the post you quoted is a reason I'm not sure about the friend:

"Also, not all friends are the same or at the same level. Is this friend a real friend? Part of the hoax worrying about getting in trouble? Is the friend someone who would actually know or just a skeptical acquaintance? Apparently, even the parents, based upon what was told to them by T'eo believed it. If the family said they believe he was in it, I'd give them more weight, unless we could find evidence of family distrust or jealousy, etc. But a "friend"? I'm a "friend" of a lot of people that I don't know THAT well. So, I'd like some more info on that - Deadspin made it sound like a friend of a friend or mutual friends of T'eo and the guy suspected of making this all up.

Maybe T'eo has been in on it after finding out so as to protect his friends?"

So you think he found out about the hoax a lot earlier and went along with it to protect his friends?

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brent Musburger thinks Te'o fake girlfriend is hot

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think he found out about the hoax a lot earlier and went along with it to protect his friends?

I don't know. It's a possibility that the hoax got out of control and he hoped it would die out like Lennay. He could still like his friends, who knows? Maybe Lennay dying would stop him from having to reveal anything or play along after finding out - simply breaking up would have obviously been better. I'm not suggesting this is true, but he could have found out about this at any time and started going along for multiple reasons. Including from the start and including slightly before or slightly after Notre Dame heard about it. He could have not known about it until after the game where he was playing for her, who knows? He'll probably continue the victim talk because he doesn't want to get criticized further or in trouble.

I am definitely more skeptical of him than I was right after I read the first story, but I don't know for sure yet. I'm hoping they find more things that may be more definitive. The best would be something that would make T'eo come clean or the perpetrators if T'eo was in fact duped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Te'o should put his money where his mouth is and hire an investigator to pull phone records and track down the girl he spent hours talking to on the phone...you know like OJ spent time on the golf courses in Florida looking for the real murderer.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was an internet girlfriend>?

Yep. A girl that the story says he met on twitter. If he's in on it, he didn't meet her there because she doesn't exist and had so much time on his hands to write fake letters from both sides. If he's the victim, there's some girl who has talked to him and told him she was Lennay. It's a good thing Kaep didn't get involved with that stripper-look-a-like (who may actually be a stripper).

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HA!!

How dumb does someone have to be to think nobdoy would find out the truth these days?

No kidding. So this dude never facetimed the chick to see what she looks like?

Te'o looks like Chet at the end of Weird Science.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's in on it, he should have at least gotten permission from the girl that he used for a pic. Wouldn't there be a chance she'd see it? (There's a chance she wouldn't, as I wouldn't necessarily notice if I didn't watch the same shows as where my pic would appear.) Or maybe she's in on it? Weird, now everyone involved is in question. If he's in on it, I hope he gets blasted, because then really no good came from it. He wouldn't deserve the publicity if he faked it, but a lot of publicity is unearned and things that deserve publicity go unnoticed.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Normally if I don't know the character of the people involved, I would be hesitant to guess at any specifics. But here, he was clearly in on it.......when he talked about being on the phone with her for hours, or how he met her after a Stanford game, and stuff like that, he was obviously making it up. The stuff with the parents talking about her is very dubious, but it can *at least* be explained in various ways if you use your imagination. But his quotes about their relationship outside of Twitter - I don't see any way around that.

Anyway, he's apparently a dumb kid that got caught up in a really dumb lie. Embarrassing (the guy will be a national joke for a long time), but nobody was hurt. It could be worse.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally if I don't know the character of the people involved, I would be hesitant to guess at any specifics. But here, he was clearly in on it.......when he talked about being on the phone with her for hours, or how he met her after a Stanford game, and stuff like that, he was obviously making it up. The stuff with the parents talking about her is very dubious, but it can *at least* be explained in various ways if you use your imagination. But his quotes about their relationship outside of Twitter - I don't see any way around that.

Anyway, he's apparently a dumb kid that got caught up in a really dumb lie. Embarrassing (the guy will be a national joke for a long time), but nobody was hurt. It could be worse.

You've convinced me. I initially thought some girl had to be in on it and on the other end of the phone. But now, I'm just assuming he made it up. I'll take it back if they find some girl in it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
hilarious!

I'm just going to assume he is actually gay, and he uses steroids

:laugh3: he really milked it

Oh my crap... This is embarrassing to even watch!

Who's the bigger douche? Teo for lying to get sympathy or Lance Armstrong lying to get money?

The douchery level in sports has reached an all-time high.

Last edited by a moderator:

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I initially thought some girl had to be in on it and on the other end of the phone. But now, I'm just assuming he made it up. I'll take it back if they find some girl in it.

See, this is what I can't even imagine.....to have some random girl on the phone talking for hours, that's hard to figure. If they did have a girl do that, that would almost make her a real gf, eh? Anyway, that's just one example.....like in this video here "the last thing she said to me is 'I love you'". Way too much out there to spin.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Teo for lying to get sympathy or Lance Armstrong lying to get money?

When Teo either sues or ruins anyone that says he's lying, he can begin to compete with Armstrong's supreme asshattery. That guy is the king of Douche Mountain.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
When Teo either sues or ruins anyone that says he's lying, he can begin to compete with Armstrong's supreme asshattery. That guy is the king of Douche Mountain.

I'll take your word for it. I never even try to visit Douche Mountain 'cause there's always a 2 hour line, and it's mostly Raider fans.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone really believe Te'o was duped? That doesn't even make sense.