• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manningham won't be ready for training camp

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
patton might get his shot to see what he can do

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disappointing. I am admittedly not very good at film study, but watching every game on coaches film last year... I thought Mario was the best WR on the 49ers last year... he was amazing at beating his coverage when the QB didn't notice.

Honestly, watching him consistently beat coverage but not get thrown to made me fall in love with him as a WR. I feel kind of vindicated that the 49ers move to keep him even though so many of you say to cut the guy... I think they saw what I saw on the tape.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Most people wanted Mario cut BEFORE he took a reduction in salary. It was too much to risk on a guy with an injury as severe as his. But now that he took a pay cut I'm glad he'll be around. Lack of WR depth screwed the Niners 2 years in a row. I just hope he's healthy before the playoffs.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they did, because they saw the statistical production and see him as next to useless considering that alone... and he did so much more that you can't see unless you really sit down and watch the tape. That is why the 49ers kept him, instead of just cutting him as a total loss.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Disappointing. I am admittedly not very good at film study, but watching every game on coaches film last year... I thought Mario was the best WR on the 49ers last year... he was amazing at beating his coverage when the QB didn't notice.

Honestly, watching him consistently beat coverage but not get thrown to made me fall in love with him as a WR. I feel kind of vindicated that the 49ers move to keep him even though so many of you say to cut the guy... I think they saw what I saw on the tape.

yep, thought he was the most 'explosive', and too bad he got hurt.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We are all praying for a smooth rehab. You can tell Roman loves this guy's potential in our offense. It's like the offense was made for him and Walker. I know darn well that is not the case, but one can't help but be fascinated to see the things Mario can do in this system.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let him get healthy and in the mean time we can let Williams, Jenkins and Patton go at it for the 3rd spot

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe the trade for Boldin was the insurance policy in case Manningham doesn't recover in time or to his full ability?

How similar would you consider Boldin and Manning Ham in ability and style?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe the trade for Boldin was the insurance policy in case Manningham doesn't recover in time or to his full ability?

for me, BIG difference. i see Manningham as able to do all the short and medium routes, being explosive in each.

i view Boldin more like a possession receiver.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

totally the opposite. Boldin is strong as they get, he goes across the middle and gets tough yards after the catch. Manningham runs great routes and has speed, he isnt breaking tackles and getting YAC and he isnt that physical

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
for me, BIG difference. i see Manningham as able to do all the short and medium routes, being explosive in each.

i view Boldin more like a possession receiver.

totally the opposite. Boldin is strong as they get, he goes across the middle and gets tough yards after the catch. Manningham runs great routes and has speed, he isnt breaking tackles and getting YAC and he isnt that physical

How much explosion did we see out of Manningham as a 49er though? He came on at times last season but was usually used on short to intermediate routes. I remember a lot of out routes to the sidelines. I know Boldin is physically bigger, but doesn't it seem like Manningham plays like a big WR the way he can sheild his body from defenders? I don't think Manningham and Boldin are spitting images of each other, so maybe I asked the wrong question originally. How much do you think the coaching staff will use the WR's in a similar role?

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Nobody ever mentioned last year during the playoffs, that we didn't have Mario, Williams, or Hunter. Loved what Mario brought. Both in passing and in run game.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How much explosion did we see out of Manningham as a 49er though? He came on at times last season but was usually used on short to intermediate routes. I remember a lot of out routes to the sidelines. I know Boldin is physically bigger, but doesn't it seem like Manningham plays like a big WR the way he can sheild his body from defenders? I don't think Manningham and Boldin are spitting images of each other, so maybe I asked the wrong question originally. How much do you think the coaching staff will use the WR's in a similar role?

To be fair, his two longest receptions came in the three full games he played with Kap at QB (40 yards vs. the Saints, 37 yards vs. the Bears). Alex's strength was/is not deep sideline passes to his WRs.

Regardless, Manningham is much more of an outside receiver than Boldin, who thrives in the middle of the field.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nobody ever mentioned last year during the playoffs, that we didn't have Mario, Williams, or Hunter. Loved what Mario brought. Both in passing and in run game.

No doubt those losses hurt. That said, Ravens were missing Webb, among others.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

true, but thats football. injuries are part of the game and we shouldn't look for excuses right?

in the larger picture, the 49ers have been pretty healthy last two seasons. the 2011 season was especially great, and last season we didn't lose THAT many starters? granted, Alex would falls into that category but we were saved by Kap.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
true, but thats football. injuries are part of the game and we shouldn't look for excuses right?

in the larger picture, the 49ers have been pretty healthy last two seasons. the 2011 season was especially great, and last season we didn't lose THAT many starters? granted, Alex would falls into that category but we were saved by Kap.

Not meant as an excuse or reason we lost. Just meant it as valuable pieces to our offense that fly under the radar.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To be fair, his two longest receptions came in the three full games he played with Kap at QB (40 yards vs. the Saints, 37 yards vs. the Bears). Alex's strength was/is not deep sideline passes to his WRs.

Regardless, Manningham is much more of an outside receiver than Boldin, who thrives in the middle of the field.

I think its fair to say, Crabtree spent a fair amount of time in the middle of the feild last season. So how do you see the coaching staff putting the puzzle together this upcoming season? Crabtree and Boldin not to mention the TE's all spend time in the middle. With Manninghams injury how much faith do you think the coaching staff has in him to regain his explosiveness? If he doesn't regain it, does Crabtree now take over the role that Manningham filled and Boldin slides into the role Crabtree vacated? Or will we see them insert Boldin into the Manningham role? Regardless of Manninghams style or potential to be explosive they still used him on short to intermediate routes that probably didn't play to his strengths. Injury and Alex aside, he played a very vanilla role...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think its fair to say, Crabtree spent a fair amount of time in the middle of the feild last season. So how do you see the coaching staff putting the puzzle together this upcoming season? Crabtree and Boldin not to mention the TE's all spend time in the middle. With Manninghams injury how much faith do you think the coaching staff has in him to regain his explosiveness? If he doesn't regain it, does Crabtree now take over the role that Manningham filled and Boldin slides into the role Crabtree vacated? Or will we see them insert Boldin into the Manningham role? Regardless of Manninghams style or potential to be explosive they still used him on short to intermediate routes that probably didn't play to his strengths. Injury and Alex aside, he played a very vanilla role...

I'm honestly not sure. One of the problems with our starting receivers is that they're somewhat similar. That's not to say that Crabtree and Boldin play all the similarly, but they are similar in that they do most of their damage in the short-to-mid-range area. Fortunately we have a TE who can stretch the field, but we really need a guy like Jenkins or Lockette to step up as a deep threat IMO.

Boldin and Crabtree have had some success on the outside, so I think we'll see a lot of different alignments. But we really don't have that true vertical threat right now.