• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lynch holding out of training camp

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like both parties are dug in their position. At the end of the day, if they don't compromise Lynch will lose, but not sure if that works out in the Seahawks favor. I'm hoping CM really flashes some talent during preseason.

Few key things here. The team now gets to give real reps to Michael.
“We’ve had a substantial plan working for us for years now, and Marshawn was a big part of this plan, and just a couple of years back, we made a big statement about making a big effort for him,” Carroll said. “We wish he was with us now. But this is a tremendous opportunity for the guys who will be getting their shot.”
Christine Michael happy to step in for Marshawn Lynch | Seahawks | The Seattle Times

This should make Lynch nervous as the better Michael does, the less chance he gets anything.

And the other thing is don't read too much into what either side says. It's all part of the process. We don't know how far either side will go based on their words now alone.

If Michael looks good and Turbin is solid I could see the management sticking to their guns. If not, Lynch gets more money and he comes back somewhere near the end of preseason.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few key things here. The team now gets to give real reps to Michael.

Christine Michael happy to step in for Marshawn Lynch | Seahawks | The Seattle Times

This should make Lynch nervous as the better Michael does, the less chance he gets anything.

And the other thing is don't read too much into what either side says. It's all part of the process. We don't know how far either side will go based on their words now alone.

If Michael looks good and Turbin is solid I could see the management sticking to their guns. If not, Lynch gets more money and he comes back somewhere near the end of preseason.

This is how I see it. In a way Lynch is giving the Seahawks a chance to gauge how good ( or not) the young guys will be. I think Turbin is solid but no Beast, mostly hoping that C. Michael is the real deal.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather be going through this than what SC is going through with the season ending injury of Hunter. Sure, Lynch is a bigger part of the team, but his absence is not yet a season ending thing. Both teams are now going to have all of camp to see what they have without their missing back.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the end Lynch will be back by the first or second preseason game and he'll be ready to go week 1. Think of it this way, he needs to play because he needs to showcase his talents to other teams that he can still handle the work load as a starter and get that big contract. Lynch realizes he will become a cap casuality after the season and this is why he's holding out, but it won't last too long.

Stratman72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the end Lynch will be back by the first or second preseason game and he'll be ready to go week 1. Think of it this way, he needs to play because he needs to showcase his talents to other teams that he can still handle the work load as a starter and get that big contract. Lynch realizes he will become a cap casuality after the season and this is why he's holding out, but it won't last too long.

Agree 100%^^^^ If Lynch is worried about the money and being cut or traded next year, he needs to show off his stuff for other teams.

I love Marshawn on our team but he is not playing this whole deal very well if you ask me.

The way I see it is... he is getting paid accordingly this year by other RB contracts. If he plans on still playing for a couple of more seasons, he needs to show that he is still a #1 RB and earn his money.
If he plans on retiring after this year than the whole point is mute.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christine Michael bangs up shoulder | ProFootballTalk

"As the Marshawn Lynch holdout lingers, his leverage spikes if/when any of the team’s alternatives at tailback gets injured.
If became when on Sunday, when second-year running back Christine Michael left practice with a shoulder injury.
“He just banged his shoulder a little bit,” coach Pete Carroll told reporters after practice. “They think he will be ready to go on Tuesday.”
The injury serves as a reminder that Plan B can quickly becomes Plan C and so on, unless and until Lynch returns to the fold. There’s been no progress along those lines, with Lynch wanting a new contract and the Seahawks refusing to rip up the last two seasons of a four-year, $30 million deal."

Got our cross our fingers for no more injuries to RBs.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see Lynch holding a lot of cards here. Is his agent recommending he do this?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see Lynch holding a lot of cards here. Is his agent recommending he do this?

I doubt it. He stands to lose 2.5 mil of his 5.5 mil salary if he sits out camp. 10% of that is his agents.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I don't think a veteran RB that is established with his current team, who is holding out at the start of camp, is a big deal. If it runs late into the preseason, then it starts being an issue. Till then, other than possibly losing some money, which teams rarely enforce the fines, Lynch has nothing to lose by being away from the team right now. And it surely doesn't hurt the team at this point. Veteran RB(s) really don't need much work in an established offense during training camp. For a team with younger RB(s) who need the reps, this is a good thing.

And I am no fan of players holding out. It's just RB is the one position that i really don''t think it matters if they do hold out to start training camp in a situation like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I don't think a veteran RB that is established with his current team, who is holding out at the start of camp, is a big deal. If it runs late into the preseason, then it starts being an issue. Till then, other than possibly losing some money, which teams rarely enforce the fines, Lynch has nothing to lose by being away from the team right now. And it surely doesn't hurt the team at this point. Veteran RB(s) really don't need much work in an established offense during training camp. For a team with younger RB(s) who need the reps, this is a good thing.

And I am no fan of players holding out. It's just RB is the one position that i really don''t think it matters if they do hold out to start training camp in a situation like this.

Got to agree with you, in fact it means less wear and tear, which is a good thing. Take note of the 49ers injuries in camp to some RBs for example.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike Rob said he spoke to him at length and he just felt strongly that he has outplayed his contract. Said he was so firmly entrenched in his views on this that he is willing to not come back because of it.

No idea who is giving him advice. It's just hard to take anything said by either side at face value. They have to say what they do to further their chances. Remember Bennett saying this isn't Wal Mart when it came to his deal? At the end he took less money and skipped a chance to play with his brother to stay here. He just wasn't as stupid as Tate in saying he would stay for less. He said what he needed to push his deal as far as it would go.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ML is the engine that drives that SH O...Paul Allen will reward him AND not fine him either.

Wilson is what drives this offense... With Turbin or Michael were still a good football team... Even with a decimated O-line at times last year Wilson willed our offense to victory... I'm not saying Lynch isn't a great player, but the running back position isn't as vital as the qb position ... Lynch isn't getting another penny because he's under contract and the Seahawks have the leverage... Clayton is saying he'll be back by Tuesday or he faces almost a million in fines .... He's being stupid right now... Love the guy and what he's done here, but he needs to buck up and get into camp... He happily signed his contract 2 years ago and was paid well...

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marshawn is all about the money. No way he walks on millions of dollars.
Didn't Marshawn just buy a beautiful white Lambo that he likes to rope off?

I know I am way out there but do you remember what Jim Zorn drove as a young NFL QB?

For one of those guys it is all about the money. There is nothing wrong with that. Many support that the player should demand the most $ that he can get.
My point is that Marshawn will report. He likes the Lambo style, ya know?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the Super Bowl, Marshawn's running game got smashed by Denver. They keyed up to stop that facet of the game and had great success.
Can Seattle win if Marshawn is ineffective?
Of course.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marshawn is all about the money. No way he walks on millions of dollars.
Didn't Marshawn just buy a beautiful white Lambo that he likes to rope off?

I know I am way out there but do you remember what Jim Zorn drove as a young NFL QB?

For one of those guys it is all about the money. There is nothing wrong with that. Many support that the player should demand the most $ that he can get.
My point is that Marshawn will report. He likes the Lambo style, ya know?

What he said to Mike Rob is the money is about his foundation. He has put a substantial amount of what he makes into that and feels he deserves more for those kids he helps based on him outplaying his contract.

He was serious and made Mike Rob feel he wasn't going to back down.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What he said to Mike Rob is the money is about his foundation. He has put a substantial amount of what he makes into that and feels he deserves more for those kids he helps based on him outplaying his contract.

He was serious and made Mike Rob feel he wasn't going to back down.

He's losing money every day though... And now if he's not back by Tuesday he's gonna lose allot more ... That's not gonna help his foundation much... He's not handling this good and it seems to me he's getting bad advice... I don't think the Seahawks are gonna budge... I would be surprised if they did... That would send a bad message to other players to not honor there contracts...

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is my feelings as well. Lynch wouldn't be doing much anyway. Big time entrenched backs are all about staying healthy and saving some tread. Lynch hardly practices during the week during the reg season either.

He's a different cat so I wont be surprised by anything that comes of this. But most likely scenario is he shows up whenever he stands to lose the most money.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think we need to either get a young player from the Raiduhz or next year's 1st or 2nd round pick and send ML back home to play for his town.