• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LOL @ California schools

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodluck with that. Meanwhile I can see Washington moving to greener pastures.

Only in your dreams. There is absolutely nothing to indicate UW is remotely considering leaving.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s not apples to oranges. Earning potential is apples to apples. A kid who enrolled in any research program and changes majors does not have the earning potential of high profiled athlete. Let alone the athletes that don’t make it still have the ability to come back and major in something opposed to the kid who gets his major in something. An internship is still an internship, regardless if he/she is an inter at a law firm that gets exploited or an athlete who gets exploited. Athletes have always had the choice of going to a different country and make money out of high school, but choose to stay in the states and exploit ESPN, Fox, CBS etc for national coverage.

Uh, no. Fox/some law firm/whoever isn't going to showcase that intern on a high stage and put it on tv for millions of viewers. And if you want to talk about media, Fox or whoever isn't going to say "Yeah, we'd love to have you as an intern but we can't because of that damn youtube channel that you're monetizing for yourself right now. It's not our choice, it's just a regulatory thing!"

Apples and oranges. Guys going through big time college programs in high profile sports obviously already have very marketable skills.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, no. Fox/some law firm/whoever isn't going to showcase that intern on a high stage and put it on tv for millions of viewers. And if you want to talk about media, Fox or whoever isn't going to say "Yeah, we'd love to have you as an intern but we can't because of that damn youtube channel that you're monetizing for yourself right now. It's not our choice, it's just a regulatory thing!"

Apples and oranges. Guys going through big time college programs in high profile sports obviously already have very marketable skills.

You have that backwards though. Athletes exploit the television deals as much as the schools do. Without the tv deals or playing for a school they have no tape. I guess we can agree to disagree but a law student who interns well on a case ends of up with a great job, just as an athlete who is doing an internship for his/her sport can make it or break it with their performance. Except athletes have a solid degree to fall back on, as opposed to that law or medical student who doesn’t get a good recommendation.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have that backwards though. Athletes exploit the television deals as much as the schools do. Without the tv deals or playing for a school they have no tape. I guess we can agree to disagree but a law student who interns well on a case ends of up with a great job, just as an athlete who is doing an internship for his/her sport can make it or break it with their performance. Except athletes have a solid degree to fall back on, as opposed to that law or medical student who doesn’t get a good recommendation.

They still would have their HS highlights plus the combine to show their skillset

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still would have their HS highlights plus the combine to show their skillset

Yes, HS highlights get NFL scouts attention. If you are speaking of basketball and baseball sure, I can dance with you a little bit. But football is the primary issue and even basketball people are pretending there are 50 freshmen who are exploited. Zion’s earning potential went up because he went to Duke and exploited ESPN. Had he come out of HS last year he isn’t a lottery pick.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only in your dreams. There is absolutely nothing to indicate UW is remotely considering leaving.
Have fun and goodluck playing in the California League. I'm sure the viewership of those games will be outfvcking standing .. just like the PAC Network is now.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll agree to disagree but there's a few points I'll

I'll agree to strongly disagree but cheers for keeping it civil. Don't see that much on this board.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have fun and goodluck playing in the California League. I'm sure the viewership of those games will be outfvcking standing .. just like the PAC Network is now.

PAC owns UWs TV rights, so you'll be right with us.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PAC owns UWs TV rights, so you'll be right with us.
Fat chance of that happening. The Oregon schools can feel free to go down with the ship and drown with the California rats but Washington has enough money in the coffers to get us the fvck out of this conference.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except no one in UWs administration wants to leave the PAC. You are a sad, strange, little man and you have our pity...but you are all alone.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would you need a bag man if it's all out in the open? Kind of sad when everybody was talking about Zion Williams being better off sitting because the shoes that his school and coach get paid for him to wear blew out on him.

The system is broken. If the god-like athlete is able to make a good chunk of change because he's marketable then why the fuck should the NCAA stop him? They're a complete joke at this point.
Players getting paid for their likeness would be paid for what they market themselves as. Schools will be able to tell a recruit, hey sign with us and we will have a friend of the program pay you $200,000 to do a commercial for them the first week of school. School would be footing the bill and just buying recruits left and right and would have nothing to do with them selling jerseys.

Like I said before, the schools with the deepest pockets will get an even bigger unfair advantage than they do now.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players getting paid for their likeness would be paid for what they market themselves as. Schools will be able to tell a recruit, hey sign with us and we will have a friend of the program pay you $200,000 to do a commercial for them the first week of school. School would be footing the bill and just buying recruits left and right and would have nothing to do with them selling jerseys.

Like I said before, the schools with the deepest pockets will get an even bigger unfair advantage than they do now.

So what you're saying is that all the top players will end up at the most marketable teams like Duke/NC/Kentucky/.... That would totally wreck the game.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
California is going to go down in the books as the cvnt state populated by America hating fvcks that attempted to kill college football as we know it.
I thought it was the lesbian softball players @ Jawja that were destroying college football as we know it? :noidea:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you're saying is that all the top players will end up at the most marketable teams like Duke/NC/Kentucky/.... That would totally wreck the game.
I’m saying that the system already favors big name teams but at least there is attempts to keep it semi-even. You start letting schools pay for players, it will be so much more unbalanced it will be crazy.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m saying that the system already favors big name teams but at least there is attempts to keep it semi-even. You start letting schools pay for players, it will be so much more unbalanced it will be crazy.

I think you're missing one key point here, which has nothing to do with dollars: playing time. The top schools already get just about every recruit they want. You can say that money is a big factor but top players are only going to school to audition for the next level and won't go to a place where there's a risk of being behind someone or the #2 option.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're talking about a fucking law. This shit is going to play out in the courts with multiple lawsuits. So you have the NCAA that does whatever it is they do vs the biggest state in the country and some of the biggest schools in the country. How the hell does that work out "logically" in your head? Take off the hater blinders. The NCAA is like a half-decade behind the times and needs to either adjust or just go away.

Lol you’re so grossly mistaken if you think the NCAA has less power than any large school, see the 4 year bowl ban they slapped on PSU. As for state laws, that has no bearing on the NCAA’s ability to legislate their own rules for participation. If these schools don’t fall in line then they’ll merely be excluded.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol you’re so grossly mistaken if you think the NCAA has less power than any large school, see the 4 year bowl ban they slapped on PSU. As for state laws, that has no bearing on the NCAA’s ability to legislate their own rules for participation. If these schools don’t fall in line then they’ll merely be excluded.

Yeah, because the perception of pedophilia and athletes getting paid at the college level are exactly the same.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what exactly does this change?
So it was was illegal for players to get paid for their likeness before?

NCAA still has the final say and Cali schools will still follow NCAA laws to stay eligible in all sports.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh no, not california

this is going to have a major impact on cfb playoff games!