• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LOL at Greg Jennings

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are mad at a player for making a business decision and making money while he still could

Teams aren't loyal either

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too bad the Lions won't be. Cuz he'd be a nice third receiver option.

I know he's still a Lion fan at heart.
I thought he was a Raiders fan at heart.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say Jennings was pretty smart. His days in the NFL were numbered, he got a big payday to help set him up for life after being a player. Brilliant. Sure fans like to see players go start to finish with a team, but for a player that isn't always the prudent thing to do.
Yep I agree. These guys only have a limited amount of time to make big bucks so why not take what you can get? I think the only exception would be like Peyton Manning taking a pay cut to stay with the Broncos. He is on a whole different pay scale than most players so a few million less doesn't mean much to him.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he was a Raiders fan at heart.
Really?

When Jerome Harrison came to the Lions (Both Kalamazoo Central Grads) he made comments about being happy a Maroon Giant came home to their Lions.

Could be though, Ty Wheatley won over a lot of Michigan kids in the 90's.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some players take a hometown discount if they feel the team they are on is a contender.

I'm not sure it's ever a loss of money on their part when they take the so called discount, I think it is more of a rewording of their contract and either bonuses and or incentives of some kind to get them their money....
There is no loyalty in the NFL anymore, greed is motivating factor and it's every man for themselves....
The rest is just smoke and mirrors, our own Ray Lewis only stayed because he couldn't get a better deal that late in his career, no matter how much he claimed afterwards that his mind was made up to stay here, Baloney !!
It's the nature of the game today !!

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, LOL at the 31 year old former SB champ who has earned 50+ mil in his career. Loser.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, LOL at the 31 year old former SB champ who has earned 50+ mil in his career. Loser.

I think the point being made is if he took a home town discount a few years back he would still be playing because his salary would not be as bad on the cap and be a 3rd receiver for the Packers and still employed and not have to look for work. Then if he took the hometown discount the total pay over that contract would be more than he would get playing just 2 in MN and then having to take lower pay for years 3 and 4 with some new team

Reactions: GNG

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the point being made is if he took a home town discount a few years back he would still be playing because his salary would not be as bad on the cap and be a 3rd receiver for the Packers and still employed and not have to look for work. Then if he took the hometown discount the total pay over that contract would be more than he would get playing just 2 in MN and then having to take lower pay for years 3 and 4 with some new team

Lots of hindsight and guesswork going on here about . But from this point forward, there's no way to know that had he stayed, the Packers would be willing to pay him more this upcoming year than he could earn on the open market, especially to be a 3rd WR.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at moron fans saying he should take a discount to stick with a "winning team" ...... Love when people say that. Um mr. poster im sure you would trade in your mcdonalds apron in a hot second if BK offered you 2 bucks more an hour.

The NFL is a business, if you can win a ring during it, great, but first and foremost get as much money as you possibly can during your short career. Knowing full well the contract you sign can be voided and you'll be dropped at any time. Doesn't matter who you are Michael Johson signed huge contract in TB. Darrel Revis, option not picked up in NE, or leaders in the locker room, REd bryant and chris clemons in Seattle after winning. It's a business pure and simple,

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at moron fans saying he should take a discount to stick with a "winning team" ...... Love when people say that. Um mr. poster im sure you would trade in your mcdonalds apron in a hot second if BK offered you 2 bucks more an hour.

The NFL is a business, if you can win a ring during it, great, but first and foremost get as much money as you possibly can during your short career. Knowing full well the contract you sign can be voided and you'll be dropped at any time. Doesn't matter who you are Michael Johson signed huge contract in TB. Darrel Revis, option not picked up in NE, or leaders in the locker room, REd bryant and chris clemons in Seattle after winning. It's a business pure and simple,

People have different views about money when it's not theirs.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say Jennings was pretty smart. His days in the NFL were numbered, he got a big payday to help set him up for life after being a player. Brilliant. Sure fans like to see players go start to finish with a team, but for a player that isn't always the prudent thing to do.

This.

It's easy for NFL fans to say he shouldn't have taken the money. But it would be damn hard to face your family and friends IMO knowing that you just left $5M on the table out of misguided loyalty. And staying with the Packers would have been misguided loyalty considering they would have dropped him after year 1 if it suited their needs.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After thinking about this for a bit, I think we should LOL at the Vikings. Are they really upgrading with Wallace? Isn't his contract huge compared to Jennings, and if it is he needs to be a massive upgrade.

Reactions: GNG

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

It's easy for NFL fans to say he shouldn't have taken the money. But it would be damn hard to face your family and friends IMO knowing that you just left $5M on the table out of misguided loyalty. And staying with the Packers would have been misguided loyalty considering they would have dropped him after year 1 if it suited their needs.

It would be especially hard if you left $5 million to play for the Packers!

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always wondered why Jennings would leave a winning franchise like Green Bay that has Aaron Rodgers at QB to play for an average Vikings team led by Christian Ponder. I guess he only cares about the money.

Just like Darrelle Revis going to the Jests.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After thinking about this for a bit, I think we should LOL at the Vikings. Are they really upgrading with Wallace? Isn't his contract huge compared to Jennings, and if it is he needs to be a massive upgrade.

Jennings was scheduled to make about $9m a year for the final 3 years of his now terminated contract.
Wallace is scheduled to make $12-13m a year for the final 3 years of his contract.

Jennings is 31 years old. In his 9 year career, he has only played 4 full seasons.
Wallace is 28 years old. In his 6 year career, he has played 5 full seasons.

Jennings has 552 catches, 8,083 yds and 63 TD in his career.
Jennings yearly average: 61 catches, 898 yds and 7 TD.
Wallace has 375 catches, 5,834 yds and 47 TD in his career.
Wallace yearly average: 63 catches, 972 yds and 8 TD.

Look at who Jennings had throwing him the ball in Green Bay. One of the best QB's ever.
Now look at who Wallace has had throwing him the ball. Roethlisberger and Tannehill. While not chopped liver, they aren't Rodgers caliber by no means.

While not a huge upgrade career numbers wise, Wallace should still have a few good years left in him, while Jennings is trending down.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be especially hard if you left $5 million to play for the Packers!

LOL. My dad would disown me if I got drafted by the Packers. If I took a pay cut to stay with them, he would go all "I brought you into this world and I can take you out" on me.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1

It's a huge upgrade.
Jennings is a slot receiver, Wallace is a wideout, Vikes need that deep threat, they thought Patterson was the guy, but he's a little slow to develop.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?

When Jerome Harrison came to the Lions (Both Kalamazoo Central Grads) he made comments about being happy a Maroon Giant came home to their Lions.

Could be though, Ty Wheatley won over a lot of Michigan kids in the 90's.

Ahh Jerome Harrison theres a name from the past. I was at WSU when he was breaking pac10 records. Hung out with him a few times at the local bar pete. him and his boys were killer on the pool table. Terribly sad about his whole situation.