• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Hip Drop" tackle banned.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone is going to get screwed in a "controversial" call and it will be the Bengals. This shit is mentally exhausting.
Real actual Demons control the means of production.

From every eyeball, the sweet sweet value of advertising dollars.

To every eyeball, the mental anguish of witnessing a detieriating game.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The stats seems to show that this tackle produced 25 times more injuries than the average tackle.

I'm not sure how they could just ignore that stat.
This.

Now add in the fact that participation in youth football is 33% of what it was just 20 years ago and there is a problem on the horizon. The NFL is compelled to protect the product and do what they can to make the game as safe as possible.

A lot of the wussification of sports folks have never tackled anyone in a football game and have never been tackled themselves in a football game. If you played the game, you know that a player using their body weight to go “dead to the ground” and using the dead weight as a fulcrum to leverage a tackle puts the ball carrier in a precarious position.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

Now add in the fact that participation in youth football is 33% of what it was just 20 years ago and there is a problem on the horizon. The NFL is compelled to protect the product and do what they can to make the game as safe as possible.

A lot of the wussification of sports folks have never tackled anyone in a football game and have never been tackled themselves in a football game. If you played the game, you know that a player using their body weight to go “dead to the ground” and using the dead weight as a fulcrum to leverage a tackle puts the ball carrier in a precarious position.
I've read a lot of things written by attorneys and other legal experts that said in the next 10-15 years that most high school football programs and younger will drop the sport, or at least navigate away from playing tackle football. They said liability is way too high, and even with all the waivers and things signed for participation, lawsuits are still a real problem. On top of that, insurance for the sport continues to rise. Schools will not want to spend the time and money it takes to fight these lawsuits, paying the rising costs of liability insurance, and will just shut the program down. The big schools generate plenty of money to keep it going and fight the lawsuits, but the majority of the schools don't generate enough money to deal with it all.

I imagine that the NFL see's the same thing in the horizon in terms of lawsuits. If they see an elevated danger with something in their sport, and ignore it, they are likely more susceptible to being seen as negligent in future lawsuits. That is why they are constantly tinkering with equipment, and the rules of engagement in the sport. It shows an effort to protect the players, even though it is impossible to truly keep several players from serious injuries each year.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sense is that this will be called way less frequently than most fans fear. I believe refs will be told to only call it in very obvious cases. The penalties will come during the week - I think the league will do a lot of fining of hip drop tackles after video review during the week even if it wasn't called on the field. That is how they will try to modify the behavior while keeping this from becoming a running story every damn Sunday.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sense is that this will be called way less frequently than most fans fear. I believe refs will be told to only call it in very obvious cases. The penalties will come during the week - I think the league will do a lot of fining of hip drop tackles after video review during the week even if it wasn't called on the field. That is how they will try to modify the behavior while keeping this from becoming a running story every damn Sunday.
This would be an ideal application.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd love to just see them make it a minor penalty at first...maybe a 5 yard penalty. You can fine the players who constantly break the rule. If this doesn't significantly shrink the occurrence of these type of tackles in 2024, make it a steeper penalty in 2025.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they get roughing the passer correct 100% of the time so no way will this change lead to multiple games being swung by bad calls.

You can say that about any penalty. Should there just be no penalties called?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm against it, ruins the sport. I hated it when the NHL banned high sticking, slashing, cross-checking and spearing, took all the fun out of the game, the NFL is on that path.

Just cut the crap and watch what you really want, MMA. Or start a bar fight streaming service?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read a lot of things written by attorneys and other legal experts that said in the next 10-15 years that most high school football programs and younger will drop the sport, or at least navigate away from playing tackle football. They said liability is way too high, and even with all the waivers and things signed for participation, lawsuits are still a real problem. On top of that, insurance for the sport continues to rise. Schools will not want to spend the time and money it takes to fight these lawsuits, paying the rising costs of liability insurance, and will just shut the program down. The big schools generate plenty of money to keep it going and fight the lawsuits, but the majority of the schools don't generate enough money to deal with it all.

I imagine that the NFL see's the same thing in the horizon in terms of lawsuits. If they see an elevated danger with something in their sport, and ignore it, they are likely more susceptible to being seen as negligent in future lawsuits. That is why they are constantly tinkering with equipment, and the rules of engagement in the sport. It shows an effort to protect the players, even though it is impossible to truly keep several players from serious injuries each year.

This brings another topic into discussion though; the overly litigious nature of our country. Between lawyers and insurance companies, there really needs to be more oversight and regulation to keep those industries under control.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they get roughing the passer correct 100% of the time so no way will this change lead to multiple games being swung by bad calls.
Hopefully this new review system will help curb the bad roughing the passer calls:

I remember being so angry after this call against the Lions a few years back:

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This brings another topic into discussion though; the overly litigious nature of our country. Between lawyers and insurance companies, there really needs to be more oversight and regulation to keep those industries under control.

I agree, although it doesn't bother me if it starts eliminating a lot of youth tackle programs (even some high school programs). I can't tell you how many people I know that walk with a limp, bad back, and other life long ailments due to high school football injuries. Last week a friend of my fathers was telling me that he went to the doctor due to his back and neck pain and was told that he broke his neck sometime in his life. The guy could remember the hit he made in high school, and continued to play. He never knew he broke his neck, but he knew something wasn't right.

If a kid is too young to vote, buy cigarettes, alcohol, etc. then I think they are too young to understand enough to consent to a sport that could harm them for the rest of their lives. I know it's not a popular opinion, but it wouldn't bother me if they got rid of tackle football before college. I LOVE watching high school football, as it is HUGE in Georgia, but I've seen too many kids injured for life because their bodies are not ready for it. At the very least, I don't think it would be a bad thing to kill tackle football till at least these kids get to high school.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of this rule needs to be if a defender has you with two hands you must go down. Its not flag football, its two hand touch.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you're right, amigo. My big concern isn't with the obvious, no-brainer calls, it's the multitude of gray areas that give me pause. If it turns out there isn't nearly as much gray area as I suspect there will be, then I'm fine with it. But it stands at the present as a huge remains-to-be-seen factor.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is gonna be a fucking mess.

Look how often Horse Collar Tackles are already called wrong. But now basically you can't pull a guy down from behind. You can't pull him down from the front or back. You can't hit him too high. You can't even form tackle him, if he bends over at all and meets you low.

They are basically legislating it to the point you can only tackle low and take out a guys knees.

But if you ask any player in the NFL, every single one would say tackle me any way you want, just don't dive at my knees.

The worst part too is that they're gonna start fining these guys huge sums of money. Real money. And they don't seem to fake guys salaries into account on those fines. Maybe Chris Jones or some of these other guys that are making 20+ million won't mind a 10-15k+ fine. But what about those guys who've only made a couple hundred k.

And personally I fucking hate NFL refs already. No need to give them more subjective calls that can change the game so much.
You can pull a guy down from behind, what you cannot do is land on the back of his legs. Drop to the side of his legs is fine. There is a line and that line is the hands on the hips and drop onto the legs. Now from what I understand, you can also tackle the legs from behind, you just can't put your hands on his hips to do so. There are a couple of Rugby video's that show the difference in the banned rear tackle and the ok one when it comes to this type of "hip drop" technique. Basically, "hip drop" the turf, not the legs.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand that he wants fights, carnage and injuries?
who mentioned that?
Sports is 2 phase. one is employment the other entertainment and both culminate in profit