• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LOL at Greg Jennings

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greedy? You can't blame a man for feeling like he holds more value than what he is offered. Put yourself in his shoes. You make $50k working at the top company in their field. A lesser known company that is mediocre in the same field comes along and offers you $60k. Are you honestly going to pass up that increase in salary?
Very likely.....
I'm not passing up the increase - I'm passing up mediocrity.....

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very likely.....

The Patriots offered Jennings 6m after the 2012 season. I bet you feel he should have jumped all over it though.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right so if he was not so damn greedy and took the $11mil multiyear extension he was initially offered he would have been better off. $15 mil is damn high and much more than he was worth. There is always a risk not taking the extension. He would have been better staying at the $11 mil then have 2 more years on the contract to be at the same point he is now at the end of his time in MN. That would have been better than the $18 mill guaranteed by MN.

The $11 mil was not just a 1 year deal so if he would have taken that instead of dreaming about $15 mil he would be better off today.

This guy is still on the street, but we're supposed to believe that had he extended with the Packers in 2012 they would still be paying him 11 mil... Sure...

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very likely.....

People can say crap like that when they aren't faced with the decision and have to stare millions of dollars in the face and wave goodbye to it.

Jennings signs with the Pack so he can compete instead of signing with the Vikes and he goes from taking home in excess of $20M in career earnings to taking home less than $15M during his career.

Would you really take a 25% cut in your lifetime take home pay at your job just to say you played for a winner? I doubt it when you are actually faced with the numbers and realize just how little of that big time contract you actually get to take home.

And anyone who thinks that Jennings was actually offered an $11M a year contract extension in 2012 and was demanding a $15 per deal, I have a bridge to sell you. No way that report is anywhere close to accurate. You only have to go back and look at what market value for WR's was back then and how a guy like Jennings would have fit into that to know that isn't true.

Last edited:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People can say crap like that when they aren't faced with the decision and have to stare millions of dollars in the face and wave goodbye to it.

Jennings signs with the Pack so he can compete instead of signing with the Vikes and he goes from taking home in excess of $20M in career earnings to taking home less than $15M during his career.

Would you really take a 25% cut in your lifetime take home pay at your job just to say you played for a winner? I doubt it when you are actually faced with the numbers and realize just how little of that big time contract you actually get to take home.

And anyone who thinks that Jennings was actually offered an $11M a year contract extension in 2012 and was demanding a $15 per deal, I have a bridge to sell you. No way that report is anywhere close to accurate. You only have to go back and look at what market value for WR's was back then and how a guy like Jennings would have fit into that to know that isn't true.
I have been in the professional job force for a lot of years. I have faced the offer you describe. Part of professionalism is waiting for the offer and the excellence - and deserving it!
You can have both - you must earn it and wait for it.....

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been in the professional job force for a lot of years. I have faced the offer you describe. Part of professionalism is waiting for the offer and the excellence - and deserving it!
You can have both - you must earn it and wait for it.....

But waiting for it wasn't an option for Jennings. He was facing his last prime contract. He also wasn't dealing with anything remotely approaching what we face in dealing with the corporate world. Both companies were equally viable to stay in business and neither offered advancement in the future. His decision was (and should have been) about the money and how many millions of dollars it's worth to play on a good team vs a mediocre team. It's easy as a fan to say that you would pass up MILLIONS of dollars to play for a better team, but almost none of us would actually do that. I'd take the millions in a second.

I don't blame Jennings at all for taking the money. I just wish he would have kept his mouth shut and not burned bridges because I would have loved for the Packers to sign him back now but he made that almost impossible. He was one of my favorite Packers while he was here and it's unfortunate he destroyed his legacy because his pride was hurt. So my message is to take the money, but try to remain humble and respectful while you do so.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But waiting for it wasn't an option for Jennings. He was facing his last prime contract. He also wasn't dealing with anything remotely approaching what we face in dealing with the corporate world. Both companies were equally viable to stay in business and neither offered advancement in the future. His decision was (and should have been) about the money and how many millions of dollars it's worth to play on a good team vs a mediocre team. It's easy as a fan to say that you would pass up MILLIONS of dollars to play for a better team, but almost none of us would actually do that. I'd take the millions in a second.

I don't blame Jennings at all for taking the money. I just wish he would have kept his mouth shut and not burned bridges because I would have loved for the Packers to sign him back now but he made that almost impossible. He was one of my favorite Packers while he was here and it's unfortunate he destroyed his legacy because his pride was hurt. So my message is to take the money, but try to remain humble and respectful while you do so.
Again, I have heard the argument that everyone would take the money. It is just not so.
You would obviously and so would the majority - Excellence is not the mantra of the majority.....

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I have heard the argument that everyone would take the money. It is just not so.
You would obviously and so would the majority - Excellence is not the mantra of the majority.....
It comes down to doing what you think is best for yourself. I actually took a pay cut to hire out at the competition, when I felt things were going to hell where I worked, and the place I worked had been the biggest and best for some time. Turn out to be a very smart thing to do. Bottom line everybody needs to do what he feels is his best interest and nobody should get criticized for it.

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But this isn't about personal excellence. It's about whether you play for a team with a winning record or a losing record. Personal excellence remains the same. All things being equal (including job security), I'd consider you a dimwit for passing up $5 million dollars to stay with the company that had higher sales numbers but didn't provide any additional opportunities. If you're truly totally about excellence, you could spend years deciding how that $5 million dollars could be best spent to help the less fortunate. It's irresponsible (both personally and socially) to pass up millions of dollars.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
But this isn't about personal excellence. It's about whether you play for a team with a winning record or a losing record. Personal excellence remains the same. All things being equal (including job security), I'd consider you a dimwit for passing up $5 million dollars to stay with the company that had higher sales numbers but didn't provide any additional opportunities. If you're truly totally about excellence, you could spend years deciding how that $5 million dollars could be best spent to help the less fortunate. It's irresponsible (both personally and socially) to pass up millions of dollars.

"Socially irresponsible." Wow.