• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions Trade Michael Williams?!

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took them a decade to fire Millen who had the worst record of any GM in recent memory. Going to be a long time before Mayew is gone. Especially after how well this years draft class turns out.

Still, I would be OK with giving Caldwell the job if Mayhew farts in the wrong direction. Move Austin up to HC.

Last two years the 1st round netted us a TE and a G. If Mayhew is still calling the shots, next year the Lions will finally be able to get that elusive FB.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last two years the 1st round netted us a TE and a G. If Mayhew is still calling the shots, next year the Lions will finally be able to get that elusive FB.

Sorry we drafted a fullback this past year, so looks like Mayhew will have to focus his 1st round pick on a read/option QB to really keep teams guessing or maybe a special teams ace.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry we drafted a fullback this past year, so looks like Mayhew will have to focus his 1st round pick on a read/option QB to really keep teams guessing or maybe a special teams ace.

A TE that he thinks will make a great offensive tackle!! He just traded the only one the Lions had.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew's not going anywhere this year- get real. Everywhere but this board with the handful Lions fans/haters recognizes that Mayhew has assembled one of the best rosters in the league, and we're coming off an 11-5 season. I'm not sure which NFL some of you are following, but in the real one competent GMs are hard to find, and those who are doing their job well typically don't get fired.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what does this have to do with Mayhew?
Lol, I know you have your issues with the guy, but objectively speaking he has turned into a pretty damn good GM. I think a lot of regulars here are just too close to the situation to see it in black-and-white, there's too many situations where people didn't agree with certain moves, and those are clouding his overall body of work around here, imo.

For comparison's sake there's a large contingent of Packers fans that think Ted Thompson is the worst GM in the NFL, so perhaps it's simply just very difficult for fans to all like their general manager?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, I know you have your issues with the guy, but objectively speaking he has turned into a pretty damn good GM. I think a lot of regulars here are just too close to the situation to see it in black-and-white, there's too many situations where people didn't agree with certain moves, and those are clouding his overall body of work around here, imo.

For comparison's sake there's a large contingent of Packers fans that think Ted Thompson is the worst GM in the NFL, so perhaps it's simply just very difficult for fans to all like their general manager?

As crappy as I believe Mayhew to be, you make a good point.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As crappy as I believe Mayhew to be, you make a good point.
I think it is much harder to quantify a good GM verses a good player or good coach.

We can all name the best players, best coaches, but what about the best general managers in the league?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ted Thompson
Ozzie Smith
Bill Belichick
Kevin Colbert
John Schneider

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be interesting to see how the Pats use him. Will he be a RT, a TE, both, or something else? They signed Reggie Wayne too.

He probably won't even make the regular season. Which wouldn't surprise me but I wouldn't mind him coming off the bench

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 7th is the official word. Trade should help both teams in the long run. Pats will use him as a blocker and occasional tackle eligible. No chance he becomes a regular TE. Gronk and Chandler will be catching the majority of passes.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you have your issues with the guy, but objectively speaking he has turned into a pretty damn good GM. I think a lot of regulars here are just too close to the situation to see it in black-and-white, there's too many situations where people didn't agree with certain moves, and those are clouding his overall body of work around here, imo.

IMO, after years of Matt Millen, ANYBODY looks like a pretty good GM. I think Mayhew has some strengths -- I like some of his trades and really like his FA signings. The draft is where a GM builds a sustainable success for a franchise though and that is where Mayhew has had his short comings.

That being said -- He is light years better than Millen at drafting, so we have that going for us.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's always the possibility that Williams doesn't make the cut in New England and we just plug him back in as the 4th OT.