• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions OFFICIAL 2015 NFL draft thread.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap would I. He is a good player but absolutely not a 1st rd pick. I don't know where the other draft analysts rank him but he is tied for 5th best RB by Mayock (who I personally think is the best of the group).

RB's that are viewed as elite are first rd picks, RB's tied for 5th positional best are lucky to get into the second rd, which is the only spot I would take Coleman at.
I think not running at the combine really hurt him. I wouldn't be the one to pull the trigger on him in the 1st, that's for sure. He could be a back we look at 5 years from now that we look at and go "damn, we could have had him" but he could also be the next Doug Martin or David Wilson. For me the injury risk is too much.

The reason I wouldn't be totally pissed if we did pick him, though, is that I think he's one of four backs in this draft, along with Gurley, Gordon, and David Johnson, who can be a "franchise" type RB. Coleman reminds me a ton of Peterson with his build and running style. I don't think he's quite as big as Peterson, though, and he doesn't seem quite as physical.

I'd much rather have Johnson in the 3rd than Coleman in the 1st, for what that's worth.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nothing personal TP

A BIG FATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT NO ON AJAYI
4 me at least
he's a good receiving RB tho

WalterFootball.com: 2015 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Jay Ajayi

Weaknesses:
  • Had ball-security issues
  • Too many fumbles

Jay Ajayi Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Top 50 Prospects In 2015 NFL Draft: No. 32, Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State - RantSports
Weaknesses: Ball security is a major issue as Ajayi has lost seven fumbles during his career
NFL Comparison: Joique Bell

Jay Ajayi Boise State RB: Seattle Seahawks Draft Profile

Jay Ajayi’s Weaknesses
As mentioned, he has good power when he can anticipate the hit, but he too easily gets tripped up. Ajayi had 12 fumbles in his college career, as well as a couple other red flags. He wrecked his knee and was arrested for shoplifting in 2011. Although, word out of Boise is that he has been nothing but a good teammate since

Whenever you hear Jay Ajayi, the NFL comparison that always comes up is Marshawn Lynch :pound::pound::pound:
BB_72..... uuhhmmmm..... NO, he's not close to "the Beast" .... I used a comma properly here :thumb:

Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
WEAKNESSES: Prefers to run away from contact at times and will lose yardage. Needs to improve his ball security with 12 career fumbles (seven lost). Appears to wear down late in games, taking a lot of hits in Boise State's offense with a heavy volume of touches the past two seasons. Needs work in pass protection with his technique and strength to sustain both lacking. Some past character issues that need vetted, including an Oct. 2011 arrest for stealing sweatpants from a Wal-Mart near campus (plead guilty to misdemeanor, served five days in jail and eight hours of classes) -- banned from 2011 bowl game, suspended for the 2012 season opener and was forced to work his way back into the good graces of the coaches. Shredded his right knee in Oct. 2011 and has dealt with other minor injuries.

BB_72; Ameer Abdullah has 24 Fumbles and lost 17 though.
I think Abdullah has bad enough fumbling issues to just stay away, but I think Ajayi in the 3rd is enough of a talent that you take him and work on the ball security stuff.

I'm not in love with the guy though, and I have to confess that the only game I watched this year was against Utah State, where he was completely unstoppable, so I might be bias in my assessment of him. His quickness for his size is special, imo.

But, if fumbles are that big of an issue we can always just pass and take a safer prospect- no harm in that.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can fumble at least 4 times a year and it is acceptable. At least I read that somewhere on here.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure if you guy agree or not but this guy is the next Desean Jackson. He can win in the slot or outside in the NFL. Wouldn't be afraid to use a first rounder on him at all. Not saying the Lions should draft him but if I needed a receiver and the "Big three" were off the board. This is where I would go next.

I remember Jackson going in the second round out of Cal cause they said he was too small. Dorsett shows the same suddenness and top end speed. Should be a great value if he falls out of the first.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think jacksons shit attitude hurt his stock as much as his size.

Kinda like how Fairley slipped to us.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure if you guy agree or not but this guy is the next Desean Jackson. He can win in the slot or outside in the NFL. Wouldn't be afraid to use a first rounder on him at all. Not saying the Lions should draft him but if I needed a receiver and the "Big three" were off the board. This is where I would go next.

I remember Jackson going in the second round out of Cal cause they said he was too small. Dorsett shows the same suddenness and top end speed. Should be a great value if he falls out of the first.

As much as I would love to replace Ross with this guy, I just dont see it happening unless we trade back and acquire another pick.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big fan of Dorsett, too, but I think we're in no-mans land for him. Imo, #23 is probably too soon to grab him, but he'll be long gone by our 2nd round pick. Like Old Lion said, the only way I see us landing him is if we trade back and get an extra pick or two...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I would love to replace Ross with this guy, I just dont see it happening unless we trade back and acquire another pick.

Like Old Lion said, the only way I see us landing him is if we trade back and get an extra pick or two...

even then, if Mayhew acquired an extra pick or possibly two, IMO, there are far greater needs in those 1st three rounds than another WR who may also provide some return abilities. but that's just my 2-cents

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even then, if Mayhew acquired an extra pick or possibly two, IMO, there are far greater needs in those 1st three rounds than another WR who may also provide some return abilities. but that's just my 2-cents
Tyler Lockett, if he lasts till our 3rd round pick, would offer better value than Dorsett in the early 2nd, imo. He's a dynamite punt and kick returner as well as a good slot receiver prospect. I'd be a big fan of that pick in the 3rd round...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 10 RBs heading into the draft this weekend:

1.) Todd Gurley
2.) Melvin Gordon
3a) David Johnson
3b) Tevin Coleman
5.) Jeremy Langford
6.) Jay Ajayi
7.) Ameer Abdullah
8.) Duke Johnson
9.) TJ Yeldon
10.) Javorius Allen

I think Ajayi would be a good pick for us in the 3rd if he's somehow still there (he's firmly my 6th rated RB right now).

here's some more info on Ajayi for ya, TP
Sleeper prospects at skill positions
4/17/2015 - NFL

i

KC Joyner, NFL Insider
Close
  • NFL and CFB analyst for ESPN Insider
  • Known as "The Football Scientist"
  • Uses proprietary metrics from game tape study
Follow on Twitter

Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State Broncos

A useful rule of thumb for grading players from non-Power 5 conferences is that they should be expected to post numbers that are much higher than most of the top prospects who play in Power 5 conferences.

Many fall short under this type of scrutiny, but Ajayi is one whose non-Power 5 conference draft case holds up quite well.

According to Stats LLC, Melvin Gordon and Ajayi were the only two backs in college football to make opposing tacklers miss at least 60 tackles -- and no other back had as many as 50. Ajayi also ranked tied for fifth nationally in the broken tackles category (16).

Ajayi saved some of his best performances for inside the red zone, as he placed second in the nation in terms of red-zone rushing yards (299) and ranked first in red-zone rushing touchdowns (25). Add in his superb passing-game ability (Scouts Inc. gave him a "1" rating here that designates exceptional performance in this area) and it equals a back who could provide a huge shot in the arm for an NFL offense in 2015.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sleeper prospects at skill positions
4/17/2015 - NFL

i

KC Joyner, NFL Insider
Close
  • NFL and CFB analyst for ESPN Insider
  • Known as "The Football Scientist"
  • Uses proprietary metrics from game tape study
Follow on Twitter

T.J. Yeldon, RB, Alabama Crimson Tide
Yeldon is known for his top-end speed and breakaway ability, but his goal-line conversion ability is a skill that sets him apart. Last season Yeldon scored seven touchdowns on nine rushes from at or inside the 2-yard line. This showing was not an anomaly, as he had seven touchdowns in eight rush attempts in that scenario in 2013. Add those seasons together and it equates to an 82.3 percent touchdown conversion rate. To put this total into perspective, note that according to ESPN Stats & Information, college rushers converted carries from at or inside the 2-yard line into a touchdown an average of 59.3 percent of the time last year. This shows Yeldon is that rare type of back who can convert drives into six points a very high percentage of the time.

Tyler Lockett, WR, Kansas State Wildcats
A case can be made that Lockett was the best big-play wide receiver in college football last season. He had more receptions of 10 or more yards against Power 5 teams than anyone in the nation, including Amari Cooper and Kevin White. Lockett also led the nation in red zone receptions (19) and receiving yards (171) last year, was tops in long scrimmage plays against Power 5 teams and ranked tied for third in receptions of 20 or more yards against Power 5 teams.

Add in his best in college football ranking in punt return average and it shows Lockett could give any young wideout a run for the money in terms of posting big plays. He could be had on Day 2 after most of the big-name receiver prospects are off the board, and put up similar or better production.

Duke Johnson, RB, Miami Hurricanes
Johnson's draft stock has been somewhat capped due to durability issues and his relatively small frame, but his breakaway ability could be second to none in this draft.

Johnson ranked fifth among Power 5 running backs with 200 or more carries against Power 5 teams in percentage of rush attempts that gained 10 or more yards (18.7 percent). The four backs ahead of him (Nick Chubb, Samaje Perine, Paul Perkins and James Conner) are all returning to their college teams in 2014, so Johnson has the highest big-play percentage among high-volume backs in this year's draft. This breakaway ability isn't limited to rushing attempts, as Johnson also led the nation in long scrimmage plays. He's also a great receiver out of the backfield. He could make a team that takes him on Day 2 very happy.

Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina Gamecocks
Davis is certainly the dark horse of this group, but it wasn't that long ago that he looked like a potential first-round draft pick.

During the first six games of the 2013 season, Davis posted an 11.6-yard average in the good blocking yards per attempt (GBYPA) metric that measures production on rushing plays with good blocking (which is very roughly defined as when the offense does not allow the defense to disrupt a rush attempt). Anything in the double-digit range is considered rare air in the GBYPA statistic, and to post that caliber of performance while playing in the SEC is a notable achievement. The durability and intangibles question marks do make Davis something of a risk, and his 2014 season was a disappointment -- but his upside could make him more than worth the gamble, especially if he slips to Day 3.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's always that trade down possibility in 2nd round :noidea:

2015 NFL Draft Rumors - WalterFootball.com
4/13: Jay Ajayi says he's gotten the most interest from Cowboys, Ravens, Chargers, Jaguars.
BB_72; Az is in this equation as well if teams view Ajayi as 2nd round potential and Det doesn't and it's value is at minimum a 4th round pick from either Dal or Bal + possibly their 6th, for a 6 spot and 4 spot trade down respectively. :noidea:

4/25: The Falcons have said that their focus is on this year's draft rather than trading for Adrian Peterson. - D. Orlando Ledbetter, Atlanta Journal-Constitution

4/24: "The way both Thomas Dimitroff and Dan Quinn's faces lit up when talking about Todd Gurley today and what they said vision for a RB was. Wow!" - Knox Bardeen, FOX Sports

4/27: "Now seems unlikely Todd Gurley gets out of the Top 20. Making calls over the weekend, heard CLE (12), MIA (14), SD (17) connected to him." - Albert Breer

4/24: The Chiefs and Steelers are the only teams not to use a first-round pick on a cornerback since 1998. - Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

4/27: "From reliable source: Do not be surprised if the Philadelphia Eagles take Miami WR Phillip Dorsett with their pick at No. 20." - Scott Bischoff, Football Guys

4/23: "It's not really a question of whether the Ravens will take a running back. It's a matter of when." - Jamison Hensley, ESPN

4/19: "The Ravens may draft a running back, but probably not until the third round or later." - Clifton Brown, CSN Baltimore (he assumes Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon are off the board).

4/17: "Bruce Arians at the Owners meetings last month: On adding CB: 'I'd really like to add a young one a young, long, fast one.'" - Mike Jurecki, FOX Sports

4/26: "I'd bet the Cowboys pass on Marcus Peters." - Dane Brugler, CBS

4/26: "I'm told Marcus Peters or Kevin Johnson may be to good to pass up if either are available for the Cowboys in round 1." - Tony Pauline

4/13: "I'm told the Dallas Cowboys very high on Melvin Gordon/RB/Wisconsin and are targeting him in round one. Trade up?" - Tony Pauline

4/15: "Cowboys had 6 CBs among their 30 national visits, including Marcus Peters. So there's probably a decent chance they go that way at 27." - Charean Williams, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
BB_72; That right there (DAL) smells of possible trade, Dallas and AZ both want one. Dal beats AZ ?

4/16: "The Colts are giving consideration to using their 2015 first-round pick on a running back." - Charlie Campbell

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to STATS, Indiana RB Tevin Coleman broke a tackle or made a defender miss on just 12.2 percent of his college carries.

Todd Gurley, Jay Ajayi, and Melvin Gordon were all over 21 percent. Duke Johnson broke a tackle or made a defender miss on 19 percent of his runs. Coleman's long speed and big-play ability are not in doubt, and his ability to pass protect will greatly enhance his chances of playing early. But he isn't an elusive runner, and it's borne out in both the stats and on game tape.

Source: NFL.com

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke Johnson, RB, Miami Hurricanes
Johnson's draft stock has been somewhat capped due to durability issues and his relatively small frame, but his breakaway ability could be second to none in this draft.

Johnson ranked fifth among Power 5 running backs with 200 or more carries against Power 5 teams in percentage of rush attempts that gained 10 or more yards (18.7 percent). The four backs ahead of him (Nick Chubb, Samaje Perine, Paul Perkins and James Conner) are all returning to their college teams in 2014, so Johnson has the highest big-play percentage among high-volume backs in this year's draft. This breakaway ability isn't limited to rushing attempts, as Johnson also led the nation in long scrimmage plays. He's also a great receiver out of the backfield. He could make a team that takes him on Day 2 very happy

Hell YEAH!!! Malcom Brown in the 1st. Duke Johnson in the second!

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell YEAH!!! Malcom Brown in the 1st

He's my #1 player for the Lions. well kind of as I have La'el Collins 1A. but I see many other DT's that could provide an impact. Malcom Brown could become that rare special DT....IMO only...love his motor and chip on the shoulder plus he's married with two kids and allegedly, by several reports, a very down to earth but humble guy.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane Ray just got busted w weed. Nice timing.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane Ray just got busted w weed. Nice timing.

MAN !! I just don't get it with these kids. It's all the dang time. Gregory, PJ Williams-DUI and now Ray. I guess it's DGB turn to screw up again

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ajayi has been removed from a few teams draft boards if you believe some NFL Radio guys due to his knee injury a few tears ago.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most overrated NFL draft prospects
i

Mike Renner, Pro Football Focus
Close

• --Full-time analyst for Pro Football Focus --Contributor to ESPN Insider's NFL coverage
Follow on Twitter
Every year, there are some players who fail to live up to their pre-draft hype. With Pro Football Focus now analyzing college games and producing performance stats based on every play, let's take a look at some of the players whose 2014 production doesn't match their draft stocks.

After compiling this list, it became obvious there was a theme in our selections. All the players included already look the part of a high-level NFL player in terms of size, speed, etc., but none performed even like high-level college players. If these guys can't consistently beat up on college opponents, what's going to change when they square off against NFL players who can match their athleticism?

While it's understandable that these players have first- or second-round grades based on their potential, each provides teams considering selecting them early some cause for concern, because all are still a ways away from realizing that potential

1. Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State

While most left the combine in awe of Waynes' speed, the discussion among PFF analysts centered on the fact that his 20-yard shuttle (4.39 seconds) was slower than his 40 time (4.31), a rare feat we couldn't recall seeing. That poor change-of-direction ability was evident on tape, and is a problem at a position where change of direction is vital.

Moreover, for someone who possessed the recovery speed to not have to worry about getting beat deep, Waynes was fairly average breaking on intermediate routes and had only three pass breakups on 59 targets. His mark for yards per coverage snap allowed was just about average, at 1.04, but he was exposed against the most talented passing team the Spartans faced all year (Oregon). In that game in Week 2, he yielded 113 yards on seven targets, including a touchdown.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(cont.)

2. Arik Armstead, DE, Oregon

It seems as though many look at Armstead's measurables (6-foot-7, 292 pounds, 5.1-second 40-yard dash) and his position (3-4 defensive end) and can't foresee him becoming anything other than Calais Campbell. What has gotten overlooked for the most part, however, is that Campbell had as many sacks in his sophomore season of college (10.5) as Armstead had his entire Oregon career.

Defensive line is one of the positions where physical freaks can easily dominate in college with little to no technique. That is why it's concerning that Armstead produced well outside the upper echelon of defensive linemen. The Oregon defensive end graded out as our No. 20 interior lineman against Power 5 schools, and posted middling numbers in run-stop percentage (7.1) and pass-rushing productivity (6.0) for the season. Those are worrisome numbers for a potential top-15 pick