• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions OFFICIAL 2015 NFL draft thread.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions have or will bring in Arizona State safety Damarious Randall for an official pre-draft visit.

"Randall is another defensive back making a fast move up draft boards, so much so he could slide into the late part of round one," wrote TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline, who reported the news. "Teams love Randall’s film and understandably so. His cover skills are such that several defensive back coaches feel Randall could line-up at cornerback on Sunday’s. The Arizona Cardinals are another franchise very high on Randall." The Cards, of course, have gotten an up-close look at Randall over the past few years. The 5-foot-11, 196-pounder posted a 4.46-second 40-yard dash, a 6.83 three-cone, a 4.07 20-yard shuttle and a 38-inch vertical at the combine. He was one of college football's most productive safeties over the past two years at ASU.

Source: TFY Draft Insider

STRENGTHS: Above average speed for the position with transitional quickness and natural footwork. Highly aggressive and plays at full speed at all times. Never gives up on plays and has a knack for chasing down ballcarriers downfield from behind. Understands angles and sees things happening quickly. Decisive sideline angles with closing burst to make up ground. Good anticipation to jump routes, reading the quarterback and baiting throws.

Heady awareness and won?t fall asleep at the wheel. Adequate ballskills and knows what to do with the ball once he gains possession (six career interceptions, averaging 29.8 yards per return with two touchdowns). Plays bigger than he looks and initiates the action, seeking out contact with a violent mentality to strike through his target. Plays ticked off and sets the tempo. Unselfish team-first type with ideal training habits.

Played on special teams coverages at Arizona State with experience as a return man. Productive starter in only two seasons at the FBS level, creating 10 turnovers (six interceptions, four forced fumbles).

WEAKNESSES: Undersized and lacks ideal strength and bulk for the safety position. Willing tackler, but too often needs help to finish stops and can be taken for a ride. Too many ankle biting tackle attempts. Needs to break down better on the move and keep his feet underneath him to be more reliable in open-field opportunities. Overaggressive, leading to wasted steps and motion. Will get fooled by play fakes due to his overaggressive nature.

Needs to stay patient in his pedal and often bites too early, which will lead to disaster when lined up in man coverage. Still very unpolished with the technical side of the game. Needs to harness his hostility to avoid unnecessary contact and late hit penalties. Size and violent play style draw durability concerns as he was often dinged up in college.

--Dane Brugler

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Tampa Bay Bucs - QB Jameis Winston, FSU - I still think Marcus Mariota has a chance to be selected here, much more than given credit for. As Yahoo's Charles Robinson reported, the Glazers have final say in signing off on Winston. But mocks are for what I think will happen, and most signs still point to Jameis. Winston can be a quality starter in the NFL.

2. Tennessee Titans - DL Leonard Williams, USC - I expect the Titans to talk themselves into sticking with Zach Mettenberger in the next two-plus weeks. It is the wrong decision. Instead they go with the “safe” selection. I do not think Williams is as unique of a talent as some are making him out to be, but he is a good player.

3. Cleveland Browns (via Jacksonville Jaguars) - QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon - The Browns trade picks 12, 19 and a 2016 3rd-round selection. After the GM and owner made the wrong quarterback choice last year, there is pressure to make the decision right. Mariota will do just that.

4. Oakland Raiders - WR Kevin White, WVU - White has the ability to win in the “big” and “small” receiver games, meaning he has the potential to be a complete receiver. Those are difficult to find.

5. Washington Redskins - OL Brandon Scherff, Iowa - Mimicking the recent approach of a division rival. I bet many teams will think Scherff is this year’s Zack Martin. Some might think this is early for a guard. Maybe, but acquiring prospects with traits that translate is paramount.

6. New York Jets - WR Amari Cooper, Alabama - I know the Jets have other needs, namely OL and edge rusher. But it is obvious how Cooper translates to the NFL. Brandon Marshall’s deal has no guarantees after 2015 and you don’t pass on Cooper “because of Jeremy Kerley.”

7. Chicago Bears - DL Arik Armstead, Oregon - Yes, I’m crazy for projecting Armstead to be drafted ahead of the edge rushers. However, I could see teams ranking Armstead at the same level as Leonard Williams. Jay Ratliff, Ray McDonald and Jarvis Jenkins are all on one-year deals.

8. Atlanta Falcons - EDGE Dante Fowler Jr, Florida - Fowler is ahead of the game in terms of hand use and length to win on first contact, but don’t bank on him using movement skills or explosion to consistently come out on the positive side of one on one matchups. The Falcons added some pass-rushing help in free agency, but they need more.

9. New York Giants - T Andrus Peat, Stanford - The Giants could easily take Randy Gregory here. The Giants tend to invest in pass rushers, wide receivers or OL early. Do not be surprised if Peat is the first true tackle off the board.

10. St. Louis Rams - OL La’El Collins, LSU - If Collins is selected, who plays LT? Either way, you have two powerful blockers along the offensive line in an offense that will need to keep its quarterback clean in the pocket and open running lanes.

11. Minnesota Vikings - CB Kevin Johnson, Wake Forest - It seems like a forgone conclusion that Mike Zimmer & Co. draft a corner. (So that means they won’t ultimately draft a corner.) For now, CB is the pick and many now point to Johnson as being the top-rated prospect at the position.

12. Jacksonville Jaguars (via Cleveland Browns) - EDGE Vic Beasley, Clemson - If Jacksonville stays at three, I think Vic is the perfect pick there for schematic purposes. That means this is even more of a dream come true. The Jaguars are a prime candidate to trade back due to their needs and the amount of prospects that can fill them.

13. New Orleans Saints - EDGE Alvin Dupree, Saints - Dupree is a candidate to go even higher than this. I would not make that claim based on his tape since Dupree was caught between positions. But teams will tag him with the “upside” label.

14. Miami Dolphins - CB Trae Waynes, Michigan State - I liked Jamar Taylor out of Boise State, but injuries have stunted his career. Teams could reasonably have four different names at the top of their cornerback boards.

15. San Francisco 49ers - WR DeVante Parker, Louisville - The 49ers can’t stop with just Torrey Smith in terms of offseason receiver additions. Parker is certainly athletic, but he can dominate the contested catch game. He is a tremendous end-zone threat.

16. Houston Texans - LB Eric Kendricks, UCLA - Kendricks is a complete three-down linebacker. Obviously he is aggressive moving forward against the run. What is uncommon is Kendrick’s comfort and success in coverage. Another edge rusher is also possible here.

17. San Diego Chargers - EDGE Randy Gregory, Nebraska - Gregory recently visited the Chargers. I like both Melvin Ingram and Jeremiah Attaochu, but rotation is so important in order to sustain disruption. Gregory’s draft-day slotting will be difficult to determine. I do think the SD/Mariota connection is real, but difficult to pull off.

18. Kansas City Chiefs - CB Byron Jones, UConn - Jones conceivably could be the first corner off the board. The Chiefs could also target Eric Kendricks if still available.

19. Jacksonville Jaguars (via Cleveland Browns) - RB Todd Gurley, Georgia - Did I say dream draft? Gurley will be picked in the first round, it is just a question of how early. If he is not healthy immediately, the Jaguars can get by withToby Gerhart, Storm Johnson and Denard Robinson in the short term.

20. Philadelphia Eagles - OL Jake Fisher, Oregon - Moving beyond the Oregon connection, Fisher fits the Eagles’ profile for offensive linemen - athletic. Fisher has experience at guard and both tackle spots. Visit reports are still coming in, but as Jimmy Kempski previously noted, 6 of the 7 Eagles picks last year visited Philadelphia prior to the draft. And the 7th, Josh Huff, played under Chip Kelly at Oregon. Something to watch. Fisher is also a senior, which has been an Eagles trend.

21. Cincinnati Bengals - T D.J. Humphries, Florida - I don’t love this fit. However, both of the Bengals’ tackles are entering contract years. Humphries, Cedric Ogbuehi, Ereck Flowers, etc. are all options. Humphries has added weight during the draft process and now sits above 300 pounds.

22. Pittsburgh Steelers - CB Jalen Collins, LSU - This one is so commonly mocked that it seems unlikely. Collins is still learning how to turn his athleticism into success. “Functional” is the key word when discussing tools and traits.

23. Detroit Lions - DT Danny Shelton, Washington - I know, I know. “But Shelton and Haloti Ngata will play the same position.” From watching the Panthers so closely, they have had success putting two “nose tackles” on the field in high run percentage downs, then they use a rotation from there. Key word: rotation. It will be a major focus of Shelton’s career. I think Shelton is a good player, but his evaluation was inflated early in the process.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DET.gif
Detroit Lions

Hosted Prospects

• Arik Armstead, DT/3-4DE/DE, Oregon (COM)
  • Michael Bennett, DT, Ohio State (COM)
  • Angelo Blackson, DT, Auburn (PRI)
  • Brian Blechen, OLB/SS, Utah (WOR)
  • Kyle Brindza, K, Notre Dame (LOC)
  • Jamon Brown, OT, Louisville (PRI)
  • Kaelin Clay, WR, Utah (PRI)
  • T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh (COM)
  • Takoby Cofield, OT, Duke (COM)
  • Tevin Coleman^, RB, Indiana (PRI, PRO)
  • Xavier Cooper, DT, Washington State (PRI)
  • Carl Davis, DT/3-4DE/NT, Iowa (COM)
  • Reese Dismukes, C, Auburn (COM)
  • Chris Dunkley, WR/CB, South Florida (PRI)
  • Mario Edwards Jr., DE/DT/3-4DE, Florida State (PRI)
  • Devin Funchess, TE/WR, Michigan (COM)
  • Eddie Goldman, DT/3-4DE/NT, Florida State (PRI)
  • Doran Grant, CB/S, Ohio State (SR)
  • Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia (PRI)
  • Marcus Hardison, DT, Arizona State (PRI)
  • Tony Lippett, WR, Michigan State (COM)
  • Tyler Lockett, WR, Kansas State (PRI)
  • Devin Mahina, TE, Brigham Young (SR)
  • Ali Marpet, G/OT, Hobart (COM)
  • Keith Mumphery, WR, Michigan State (EW)
  • Jimmay Mundine, FB, Kansas (PRO)
  • Jamarcus Nelson, WR, UAB (PRI)
  • Steven Nelson, CB, Oregon State (PRI)
  • Cedric Ogbuehi^, OT, Texas A&M (COM, PRI)
  • DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville (PRI)
  • Breshad Perriman, WR, Central Florida (PRI)
  • Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor (SR)
  • Jordan Phillips^, NT/DT, Oklahoma (COM, PRI)
  • Damarious Randall, S, Arizona State (PRI)
  • Quinten Rollins^, CB, Miami (Ohio) (SR, WOR)
  • Eric Rowe, CB, Utah (PRI)
  • Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State (SR)
  • Preston Smith, DE, Mississippi State (COM)
  • Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State (COM)
  • Jaquiski Tartt, S, Samford (PRO)
  • P.J. Williams, CB, Florida State (PRI)

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bucs acquired DE George Johnson and a 2015 seventh-round pick from the Lions in exchange for a 2015 fifth-round pick.

The Bucs signed restricted free agent Johnson to a three-year, $9 million offer sheet last week. Detroit chose to match the offer and work out a trade, simply moving up a couple rounds in the back end of the draft. Johnson is coming off a breakout, six-sack season with the Lions and joins an extremely weak Tampa Bay edge-rushing group led by former UDFA Jacquies Smith.
Related: Lions

Source: Rick Stroud on Twitter

g1370271411554711907.jpg

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lionsb_logo.gif
Detroit Lions:
4/9: "Also worth noting on the DeVante Parker visit: He'd be a really good fit in Chicago or Minnesota, so makes sense for Lions to do homework." - Josh Katzenstein, Detroit News

3/17: "The team still needs to add speed and a big-play threat to the group. Look for them to address that in a deep draft class. They’ve already brought in Todd Gurley and Tevin Coleman on pre-draft visits." - Tim Twentyman, DetroitLions.com

2/27: "The Lions hold the 23 rd overall pick and are expected to look very long and very hard at bolstering the talent upfront along the offensive and defensive lines, respectively, but running back has to be at the very least part of the conversation now." - Tim Twentyman, DetroitLions.com

2/22: Melvin Gordon was spotted wearing a Detroit Lions' cap at the NFL Combine.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's weird cause he's a tweener. Too slow to play out wide and not strong enough to play TE.

I wouldn't call him a tweener, I'd just call him a bad fit and a bad pick. But we are so good at making those that I will instead call him our likely 2nd rd pick. Fuck Mayhew!!

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN's Todd McShay likes Texas DT Malcom Brown's versatility.

"He was a very productive and versatile player for the Longhorns, and I think he's probably capable of playing the nose in a 4-3 front and maybe a 5-technique defensive end in some 3-4 alignments," McShay wrote. Colleague Mel Kiper believes that Brown is an ideal fit for the Lions, a refrain we've often heard the past few months. Detroit may get an itchy trigger finger on a running back if Todd Gurley or Melvin Gordon are available at No. 23, however.

Source: ESPN Insider

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Path to the Draft | NFL.com

I love this kid. As a 5th or 6th pick. Since many feel those late picks are worth nothing. Why not take a chance on the kid. Somebody will and give him two years and may become a steal. Played CB as a freshman at Georgia before transferring to play QB. His Reese's week of practice he got beat a few times and a few times you saw the raw talent and instincts when covering Some of top talent this year. No doubt he would contribute as a ST guy. Did some returning at UGA also. Bye bye Ross anyone?
I would love to see what Austin could do for him? Not sure how good a tackler he is? That is the one unknown for sure. Maybe could develop into a safety as his frame and new workout regime being a DB now and not QB could put some mass and weight on to convert to S??

Thanks Blue for sending me the link!

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN's Todd McShay notes that FSU DT Eddie Goldman "doesn't offer much as a pass-rusher, but he is so good against the run that he doesn't have to."

"He could also play as a traditional 4-3 defensive tackle," McShay wrote. The 6-foot-4, 336-pound Goldman has had or will have meetings or visits with the Browns, Colts, 49ers, Lions, Patriots and Panthers -- that we know of. Goldman had a really poor pro day -- posting a 5.30 forty, a 26" vertical jump and a horrible 19 repetitions on the bench press -- but we won't know for two weeks how that affected his stock.

Source: ESPN Insider

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if we don't trade back it will be either DT Malcom Brown or OL Cam Erving. I cant see guys like Shelton, Sherff, and Waynes even being mentioned as there is little chance they are there at 23. They are all top 10 for sure and maybe top 5.

I do not like DT Goldman. He is a lazy fatass. If we did not pick up Walker then he might have been worth a look, but I were prefer otherwise now.

2nd round could be very interesting.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd rd DTs either Micheal Bennett or Grady Jarrett would be nice and better than Goldman. We've already seen a lazy fatass under achieve at DT for 4 yrs.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Grady too. If we go Erving in the first, Jarrett would be a possibility in the 2nd and definitely in the 3rd.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's been such a large range of opinion on CBs this year. I've even seen where some have Johnson listed as the top rated guy.

I wonder if these "draft guru's" are just trying to "stand out" and make a name for themselves by "bucking the consensus" or are all the players really that much similar?

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at this guy

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if these "draft guru's" are just trying to "stand out" and make a name for themselves by "bucking the consensus" or are all the players really that much similar?

I don't know. From what I can see, it just comes down to what a team is looking for.