• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions now looking at Tate

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess Detroit has to address the defense at some point, unless they are just going to try and outscore everyone and win games 38-35 all year.

If they use the money they have free under the cap to sign a WR like Tate -- unless Watkins unexpectedly falls to #10, I'm guessing they are going to draft defense. I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to sign Tate if Detroit went defense with their 1st 3 picks (CB, Safety, OLB in no particular order and maybe even DE if Willie Young leaves).

I don't think who we do or don't sign in free agency will impact the #10 pick one way or the other. If we start reaching to fill needs in the top ten we'll wind up with a marginal starter instead of the stud player at a position we didn't "need" at the time.

I do think that our free agency haul will affect our 2nd and 3rd day picks, though...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think who we do or don't sign in free agency will impact the #10 pick one way or the other. If we start reaching to fill needs in the top ten we'll wind up with a marginal starter instead of the stud player at a position we didn't "need" at the time.

Detroit has numerous holes to fill, so it'd be literally impossible to 'reach' for a player when you are drafting 10th overall.

If Detroit signs a Safety -- no chance they draft Dix or Pryor. If Detroit signs a top end CB -- they aren't going to spend the 10th pick on Gilbert or Dennard. If Detroit signs an OLB -- they aren't going to draft Mack or Barr, unless they plan on using them at DE.

Edited to add -- if Detroit signs a top end player at the Safety, CB or OLB spots, it would eliminate any of those positions being drafted in the 1st round.

The only position where FA may not affect what they do at #10 is WR, because they have two holes to fill. So if they sign Tate and Watkins falls -- I think they would draft him.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit has numerous holes to fill, so it'd be literally impossible to 'reach' for a player when you are drafting 10th overall.
I don't follow this logic at all... just because you have a need at the position you draft, it can still be a total reach. In fact, I'd argue that a team is far more likely to reach by attempting to fill a need.

If Detroit signs a Safety -- no chance they draft Dix or Pryor.
I don't think that's the case given Quin's versatility, but I still agree that it's not likely to happen. I don't think either guy is a realistic option at #10 regardless, though.

If Detroit signs a top end CB -- they aren't going to spend the 10th pick on Gilbert or Dennard.
True.

If Detroit signs an OLB -- they aren't going to draft Mack or Barr, unless they plan on using them at DE.
I don't think there's any OLBs on the market that would make them pass on Mack.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprisingly, I think Tate would be the ideal #2 guy. Runs great routes and has great hands. What else do you need from someone that is going to be seeing single-covered much of the time. Light years ahead of anyone in this draft except Marqise.
I don't think the overall $$$$'s is as important as how much is guaranteed and how the contract is structured.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't follow this logic at all... just because you have a need at the position you draft, it can still be a total reach. In fact, I'd argue that a team is far more likely to reach by attempting to fill a need.

I agree a team could still 'reach' for a player in the 1st round. All I'm saying is, in the position the Lions are in (10th overall) with needs at multiple positions. They will get an elite talent to fill one of those needs.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
emmanuel sanders is really good, IF he can stay healthy

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's the case given Quin's versatility, but I still agree that it's not likely to happen. I don't think either guy is a realistic option at #10 regardless, though.

Detroit isn't going to pay Quin $5 million a year to be a nickel CB on passing downs. If Detroit signs a safety -- Dix and Pryor will not be coming to Detroit, IMO.

I do agree neither player is top 10 worthy, but if Detroit trades back, I still don't see a scenario where they would spend a 1st round pick on the safety position if they signed a top end safety in back to back years.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there's any OLBs on the market that would make them pass on Mack.

I have no clue what the market is for OLB in FA. I would wager you are spot on though, as I haven't really heard much of anything one in all of the reports today about an OLB.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate can return well,plus he gets into the zone sometimes and reminds me of Hines ward after the catch many times.

Fast forward to 3:18 and you will see Tate all zoned out still walking to the Saint's endzone and them telling him noooo! lol.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the more research I do about tate, the more I like him. I think I was just under the assumption that he's overrated bcs he went to Notre Dame. He has great hands, decent speed, and great route running. He can play outside as well as inside. Id prefer him to play outside opposite of calvin, and have someone else play inside, maybe sanders? (if we can afford both)

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the more research I do about tate, the more I like him. I think I was just under the assumption that he's overrated bcs he went to Notre Dame. He has great hands, decent speed, and great route running. He can play outside as well as inside. Id prefer him to play outside opposite of calvin, and have someone else play inside, maybe sanders? (if we can afford both)

And he can break tackles very well,i don't know how many times i have seen him flip over guys etc for the TD or a few extra yards,he is fearless.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is your guys returner? sorry i don't know but Tate returned for the Hawks many years and has been better at it too lately.

IMO he or if he was with a team that passed more would of had a breakout year this last year but the Hawks are a run first team in the NFC West,he would do well in Detroit as another 12th man said (Logicallylethal).

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is your guys returner? sorry i don't know but Tate returned for the Hawks many years and has been better at it too lately.

IMO he or if he was with a team that passed more would of had a breakout year this last year but the Hawks are a run first team in the NFC West,he would do well in Detroit as another 12th man said (Logicallylethal).

Jeremy Ross. Not sure that we would put our expensive toy back there to return. Too risky (all assuming that he signs)

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate highlights,,

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like he would be a good fit and then some. I still like Edelman because he is uncoverable 1 on 1, but Tate is up there on my list too. Not looking to break the bank though but would be willing to shell out a few bucks on either.

Someone else mentioned Sanders who is up there too.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions don't have a deal with Tate by early afternoon, this ship has sailed. We did ink Ogletree to a 1-yr deal, though.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate was just spotted outside the Hudson Cafe sipping a Vernor's, for what it's worth.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds promising. I wonder if we can squeeze a safety into the budget before the draft.