• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions Board 2014 Draft Rds. 1 thru 4

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What players do you want as a Lion in this years draft. We've gone through FA and that has pretty much died out except for a few camp bodies. We've all had time to do some research after the combine. FA signings in Tate and Ihedigbo have helped 2 positions to date. You could do two if you so desire, one on "who you want" and one who you think Mayhew might target. It's all a guessing game either way. We currently have slot #'s #10, #45, #76, #111 and comp picks are #133 #136 should you include those two. Below you'll find three links regarding Top Boards should you choose to use those for player rankings. I'll go back and tally a consensus on/about Monday April 21th and post that the following morning. The board has been kind of dead lately. If you think Mayhew trades Fairley for a pick in this years draft you can include that too. Name the team traded to and their draft slot. A link for all teams 7 round picks can be found here; 2014 NFL Draft Trade Value Chart

NFL Draft - 2014 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Draft Big Board

2014 NFL Draft Prospects | 2014 NFL Draft Board | Top 100 NFL Prospects |

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not too worried about the 4th round picks -- I believe those will be used to add some depth at certain positions and with a deep draft -- they should be able to find some players that will help the Lions in upcoming years.

The 1st 3 rounds:

1st round -- Gilbert or Barr -- I'd be fine with either pick. At 10, guys like Clowney and Mack will be gone, so getting an elite defensive talent is what I hope the Lions do.

2nd round -- Depending on which way they go in the 1st -- either Kyle Van Noy or Jason Verrett/Marcus Roberson/LaMarcus Joyner. Basically I want them to go CB, OLB in the 1st 2 rounds.

3rd round -- Jimmy Ward would be a steal if he was still on the board. I've seen him going late 1st to late 3rd in these mock drafts. He would be a great complement to Quin. If he is gone -- WR's like Davante Adams/Jared Abbrederris, etc. would be a good value pick in the 3rd. Or if a player like Weston Richburg is still on the board -- Detroit could draft Ravioli's replacement for next year.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I think Mayhew will do in the draft. I have a sick feeling the Lions will be trading up to get Watkins. The Lions love themselves weapons on the offense, so if the price isn't too steep, I could see them going that way.

IF they don't trade up -- I could see them taking Evans if he is still on the board at 10.

Best case scenario is Watkins and Evans are off the board forcing Mayhew to draft defense, as no other skill position player is worth a top 10 pick.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should add -- if the Lions front office feel they aren't going to be able to re-sign Suh or his asking price is astronomical -- Aaron Donald would be in the mix at #10 in the 1st round.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I think Mayhew "might" draft

1. WR Mike Evans Tex A+M (if he's there it's a future replacement for CJ in 2017)
2. LB Kyle VanNoy BYU (Austin spoke of having a rush passer SAM and VanNoy mentored Ansah)
3. OC Marcus Martin USC (Martin was the 1st USC frosh to ever to start on OL. 2 yrs at LG then C)
4. DT Kelcey Quarles So. Car or DT Caraun Reid Princeton
4. SS Craig Loston LSU or Ahmad Dixon Baylor
4. WR Cody Latimer IND or Kevin Norwood Bama

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#10 - Anthony Barr - OLB until he puts on enough weight to play 4-3 DE
#45 - Jeremiah Attaochu - Ansah part II as an OLB
#76 - Jackson Jeffcoat - NOW I like the front 7 even with Fatley gone.
#111 - Keith McGill
#133 - Russell Bodine
#136 - Stanley Jean-Baptiste

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naughtymax... Damn man, I totally missed Attaochu... Great pick..That kid is an absolute freak as a stand up pass rusher and playing in space. Coverage LB not so much in that he's similar to Barr right now

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#10 - Anthony Barr - OLB until he puts on enough weight to play 4-3 DE
#45 - Jeremiah Attaochu - Ansah part II as an OLB

I've been hearing a lot about Attaochu, ever since he ran the drills at his pro day that he skipped at the combine. Will be interesting to see what path Austin will have the Lions defense going, as both Barr and Attaochu have been projected as better prospects in 3-4 defenses.

Would love to see any type of talent though added to the defense and both Barr and Attaochu have freaky athletic ability.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go Gilbert (unless someone falls) van noy, Jarvis Landry, DeAndre Coleman, Russell bodine, kicker

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#10 Bucs trade IMO means no Evans at 10 :clap:....Gilbert/Barr

#45 Jimmy Ward

#76 Switched from a WR to Center. Love Richburg or Martin here

#111 Moncrief if falls or Cody Latimer

#133 Telvin Smith kids a baller... OLB/S find a spot for him either gain weight or stay as is at S easily be a guy to play in the box.

#136 OL depth G to maybe replace Sims shortly

I actually feel someone may jump to 10 for Ebron and I think Steelers do because of Giants. At 15 would be Dennard or Pryor

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots to think about here...

I hope we go defense at #10- Aaron Donald or Anthony Barr, no CBs are worth that pick, imo.

Then safety, OLB, or DE at #45 (though a WR wouldn't be a horrible option here).

WR at #76, third round is where the value is at for WRs in this draft, imo.

A center at #111 would be a good move, imo. I'm partial to the Richburg kid from Colorado St, myself.

#133 and #136- should be some good DE projects still on the board, also could go with another DB- safety or CB, depending on what we didn't take in earlier rounds...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird year for CBs. Up to 5 could go in the 1st round, but I'll be surprised if any go in the top 15. Imo, Gilbert's range starts right around there somewhere (12-15 ish), but I don't think he's a top-ten pick. Then there's Fuller, Verrett (sp?), Dennard, and Roby.

I'd stay away from Verrett because he's tiny (although quite skilled- I'll give him that, but he's still 5'9"), but he'll make a very good slot CB for whomever drafts him. I just don't see taking a slot CB in the 1st round, but some team will take him in the 1st with the hopes that he can be an outside CB.

It's also interesting how Dennard has went from the early top CB in the class to potentially the 5th CB that will be taken...

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been hearing a lot about Attaochu, ever since he ran the drills at his pro day that he skipped at the combine. Will be interesting to see what path Austin will have the Lions defense going, as both Barr and Attaochu have been projected as better prospects in 3-4 defenses.

Would love to see any type of talent though added to the defense and both Barr and Attaochu have freaky athletic ability.

at 255 lbs I am confident that Barr is capable of adding 10-15 lbs and playing DE in a 4-3. He's still learning defense overall and his athleticism would make he and Ansah potential bookends for a decade. The open question is whether he will be able to shed blocks to support the run.

But yes, I'll take talent and adjust the system rather than taking lesser players to conform to a system. If Fairley gets motivated he could play the nose in a NE-style shift from 4-3 to 3-4. Imagine a pass rush of Suh and Ansah at DE, Barr and Attaochu as OLBs on long yardage downs. Better plan on a 3-step drop.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tpaul.. Please name "one player" in 2nd, 3rd, 4th rd.. I'm going to keep a running record as a consensus pick for each round when this thing ends April 21st.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gandydancer's is best "overall", IMO, so far. Great pick on Telvin Smith. I really think he is that Hybrid Safety/OLB..

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff here. I'll do mine two picks at a time.

Who I want at #10 Mike Evans- Although many see this as a luxury pick, its more than that, as it is a huge move for the future of the franchise and adds a big-time player for a team that must make a run now. The situation would be golden with CJ as a mentor.

Secondary target at #10 Justin Gilbert- Gilbert has everything Mayhew wants in a CB and I think the idea of Slay and Gilbert holding down the edges for the future is a good one.

Who I want at #45 Kyle Van Noy- Seems like a perfect fit for OLB for the team and does everything well. To get him at 45 would be a steal considering what type of player he is. I think he makes the transition in and out of a 3-4 that much easier for the team.

Secondary target at 45 Jeremiah Attaochu- He might be available at 45 and if the Lions cant grab a OLB here, it makes sense to take a DE who can start from day one.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to add that I think Sammy Watkins is the target, but the Lions may have to consider moving up as far as two to get him.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeremiah Attaochu- He might be available at 45 and if the Lions cant grab a OLB here, it makes sense to take a DE who can start from day one.

Attaochu is an OLB. That is why I said, it will be interesting to see what Austin's plan is for the defense, as guys like Barr and Attaochu are extremely talented and athletic, but they are much better fits for a 3-4.

I'd love to have guys like Barr and Attaochu, but Detroit would have to make some changes defensively to fit their strengths, as both are OLB, who specialized in rushing the passer in 3-4 defenses.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also interesting how Dennard has went from the early top CB in the class to potentially the 5th CB that will be taken...

I missed this. Where are they talking about Dennard being the 5th CB taken in the draft? Everything I have read says Dennard and Gilbert are interchangeable as the 1st off the board depending on what type of CB you need for your defense.

Can you post the article on this? I'd like to read about that. If Dennard is being talked about as the 5th CB -- I would love to see the Lions go with OLB, DT, DE, whatever is there at 10 and then try to trade back into the bottom of the 1st to get Dennard.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10- CB Gilbert
45- SS Bucannon
76- C Swanson
111- QB Savage