• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions 2021 off-season FA. Something for nothing or nothing at all ?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2021 NFL free agency: Identifying the 25 best fits for the Detroit Lions - mlive.com

Breshad Perriman, WR, Jets

Breshad Perriman feels like the perfect fit for Detroit’s situation. The Lions are in dire need of multiple receivers without breaking the bank. Perriman started 12 games for the Jets, catching 30 passes for 505 yards and three touchdowns. He’s a burner and would add a dynamic athlete to an offense without many.

Breshad Perriman Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com (pro-football-reference.com)

BB_72: yards per reception is nearly equal to KG but that catch rate isn't good, career 49%

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions free agency preview: Bad contracts, busted draft picks create need in defensive backfield - mlive.com

Detroit Lions free agency preview: More than a couple of new faces needed at linebacker - mlive.com

not much to see here on either of those links.
injury or one dimensional type LB.

Maybe PJ Williams as a vet CB. risky, rollercoaster play at times, imo.
P.J. Williams Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com (pro-football-reference.com)

One more corner to watch: P.J. Williams, a sixth-year player who has spent his entire career under Aaron Glenn, the former Saints defensive backs coach who was just hired as Detroit’s defensive coordinator. Williams is the sort of versatile player teams love on the bench in the defensive backfield. “P.J., just the ultimate Swiss army knife for us,” Glenn once said. “He’s a guy that I think sometimes is taken for granted, but I’m glad that we have him back.”

Rayshawn Jenkins
Rayshawn Jenkins Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com (pro-football-reference.com)

A cheaper alternative could be Rayshawn Jenkins, who missed just one start the last two seasons for the Chargers, where he played for Anthony Lynn. He’s played both the strong and free safety positions, as well as in the slot. “Putting him at free safety, he made it hard for our second-round draft pick to get on the football field,” Anthony Lynn said. “Rayshawn just got better and better. I mean, he finish as one of the top-five free safeties in the game last year, in my opinion. And he’s just going to take it to another level.

BB_72: meh. maybe on either of those two. next week or the following week.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy with re-signing Okwara. If we were going to pay any of our guys, he's the guy I wanted to pay.

Maybe a slight overpay, but he earned a contract. And the worst defense in football, with holes everywhere, did well to avoid losing its only bright spot from a year ago.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shelton and Daniels to be released. Makes me wonder if they are keeping Williams now.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s another base formation where the WILL (represented by Samson Ebukam) drops from a pass-rushing role on the line of scrimmage to an off-the-ball spot:
Screen_Shot_2021_03_15_at_1.06.29_PM.png

Beyond the flipped formation, you’ll notice the big change is the Flowers spot (represented here by Aaron Donald) shifts from a 3-technique to a 7-technique, while Okwara’s role (represented by Leonard Floyd) is still close to the wide-9 set—designed to create a pass-rushing angle.
While the early expectation is that Okwara will set up in pass-rushing roles on the outside, his positional versatility will also allow him to set up at the role I assigned to Flowers in the above pictures. When Okwara does shift inside, expect Julian Okwara and Austin Bryant to fill in at the outside pass-rushing role.

Getting Okwara back in Honolulu blue is a very significant move for general manager Brad Holmes. The Lions get a young (age 26) ascending pass rusher who can start at multiple spots, as well as be insurance at others.

Honestly I dont want guys who cant support the run as well. Romeo is a DPR (Designated Pass Rusher) IMO and I dont want to pay those guys very much.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions free agency preview: Bad contracts, busted draft picks create need in defensive backfield - mlive.com

Detroit Lions free agency preview: More than a couple of new faces needed at linebacker - mlive.com

not much to see here on either of those links.
injury or one dimensional type LB.

Maybe PJ Williams as a vet CB. risky, rollercoaster play at times, imo.
P.J. Williams Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com (pro-football-reference.com)

One more corner to watch: P.J. Williams, a sixth-year player who has spent his entire career under Aaron Glenn, the former Saints defensive backs coach who was just hired as Detroit’s defensive coordinator. Williams is the sort of versatile player teams love on the bench in the defensive backfield. “P.J., just the ultimate Swiss army knife for us,” Glenn once said. “He’s a guy that I think sometimes is taken for granted, but I’m glad that we have him back.”

Rayshawn Jenkins
Rayshawn Jenkins Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com (pro-football-reference.com)

A cheaper alternative could be Rayshawn Jenkins, who missed just one start the last two seasons for the Chargers, where he played for Anthony Lynn. He’s played both the strong and free safety positions, as well as in the slot. “Putting him at free safety, he made it hard for our second-round draft pick to get on the football field,” Anthony Lynn said. “Rayshawn just got better and better. I mean, he finish as one of the top-five free safeties in the game last year, in my opinion. And he’s just going to take it to another level.

BB_72: meh. maybe on either of those two. next week or the following week.
Yes on Jenkins. No on Williams.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy with re-signing Okwara. If we were going to pay any of our guys, he's the guy I wanted to pay.

Maybe a slight overpay, but he earned a contract. And the worst defense in football, with holes everywhere, did well to avoid losing its only bright spot from a year ago.
Shelton and Daniels to be released. Makes me wonder if they are keeping Williams now.
Penisini was a big bright spot last year. He is going to get better too.

Also, Hopefully they can put Romeo in a position where he is not detrimental to the run game. Teams ran outside with ease last year. And the year before that too.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes me wonder if they are keeping Williams now.

No, please no.

tear it down to the foundation and eliminate these type of dead wood players.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, please no.

tear it down to the foundation and eliminate these type of dead wood players.

I am genuinely curious which are dead wood, and which only appear that way because of Patricia. I suppose it is easier to cut em all and let other teams figure that out.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am genuinely curious which are dead wood, and which only appear that way because of Patricia. I suppose it is easier to cut em all and let other teams figure that out.

Your point is valid regarding Patriot's type of defense versus all other teams.

4.7M cap clearance seems appealing considering he had only 1 year of greater than 16.7% defensive snaps played prior to coming to the Lions and that was 2019.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am genuinely curious which are dead wood, and which only appear that way because of Patricia.

Your statement might also be valid regarding Trey Flowers. We'll finally get to see what type of player he really is now that he won't be playing in a Patriot's type defense. Many of us view him as an overpay because of his lack of stats as a pass rusher - and injured last year. Let's see at least 1 year of his play in a completely different scheme and how he performs.

tbh, many of these players could perform at a higher level in a different scheme.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you have any particular player(s) in this years draft that you'd like to be drafted who would play that role of Nicholas Williams ?

or

a UFA iDL ?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your statement might also be valid regarding Trey Flowers. We'll finally get to see what type of player he really is now that he won't be playing in a Patriot's type defense. Many of us view him as an overpay because of his lack of stats as a pass rusher - and injured last year. Let's see at least 1 year of his play in a completely different scheme and how he performs.

tbh, many of these players could perform at a higher level in a different scheme.

It is tough to know, maybe the Jets realize that while Davis was bad at a lot, he was good at pass rush and have him do that one thing he was good at regularly?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have any particular player(s) in this years draft that you'd like to be drafted who would play that role of Nicholas Williams ?

Not really, I really want to see what Austin Bryant can do when healthy, but that is a currently on the roster option.

I would be happy with any IDL pick that collapse the pocket, but I have no idea if that is a role in the new defense. Maybe they only want the Penisini type to hold up the line and get the pressure on the outside?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really, I really want to see what Austin Bryant can do when healthy, but that is a currently on the roster option.

He had a 3-4 game run after the Thanksgiving day game where he played good - not statistically but schematically. We'll see what his performance can be if he can stay healthy and on the field of play.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be happy with any IDL pick that collapse the pocket, but I have no idea if that is a role in the new defense.

That's the million dollar question for many of us.
The complete unknown - guessing game.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be happy with any IDL pick that collapse the pocket, but I have no idea if that is a role in the new defense. Maybe they only want the Penisini type to hold up the line and get the pressure on the outside?

This statement also makes me question if their defense will warrant having/drafting a true 3-tech (how many snaps per game would a 3-tech be used)

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This statement also makes me question if their defense will warrant having/drafting a true 3-tech (how many snaps per game would a 3-tech be used)

So many unknowns, I look forward to seeing what happens this year so we have more idea of what to expect going forward.