• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions 2021 off-season FA. Something for nothing or nothing at all ?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are your assessments/opinions as to what the new regime should do regarding roster rebuild with players cut/new signings ?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions will need 5-6M for in-season IR replacement players

Lions will need 7.349M for draft
Capture - lions.PNG

Lions will need at a minimum 2M for practice squad. (2020 P.S. players received just over 8k per week per individual player times 17 weeks)
I believe the P.S. keeps 12 players for 2021 (have to verify)

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I put in the other forum on January 4th. I would also like to trade Golladay. No idea what it would take to get Ioannidis, but I have to think he can be got. Okwara, Agnew, Prater, Fox, and Nelson are really the only players I think we should bring back.
1613420330238.png

I don't know that I would like to go after any big money FA, let's see if we can get some good comp picks for the exiting players. I am not sure which outside of Marvin Jones could actually get us a pick though.

Perhaps bring back Reeves-Maybin on a minnimum?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Ragland as a resign as we need so many LB's, keeping the closest thing we have to replacement level(outside of Collins) might be important for a year or 2.

I do not have Vaitai on the cut list because I don't think it is really doable until next year, unless we end up well under the cap

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also like to trade Golladay

I would do a non-exclusive rights franchise tag. His agents have the right to negotiate with any team on a contract with the Lions having the right to match said contract offer or come up with a trade in draft picks this year.

I'd rather receive a 2nd round pick this year or at worst a 3rd round than to have to wait and see if comp picks come around for next year (depends on who they sign in the new league year.

Last edited:

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would to on a non-exclusive rights franchise tag. His agents have the right to negotiate with any team on a contract with the Lions having the right to match said contract offer or come up with a trade in draft picks this year.

I'd rather receive a 2nd round pick this year or at worst a 3rd round than to have to wait and see if comp picks come around for next year (depends on who they sign in the new league year.
It is tough, I think he is a beast, but injury-prone and already 27. I would rather get the absolute best value for him that we can now. I would be thrilled with a 2nd.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that I would like to go after any big money FA, let's see if we can get some good comp picks for the exiting players. I am not sure which outside of Marvin Jones could actually get us a pick though.

This right here. TBH, I really don't want to see any other teams FA signed by the Lions outside of maybe the Rams WR Josh Reynolds (thanks to @Stomp regarding him). I'd rather lay low on FA for 2021 outside of low-tier money players.

This team isn't competing for any division title until 2023 at the earliest, imo.

Golladay should get us a comp pick regardless of his injury this year. Some team with money is going to pay him well and most likely he'll receive a 4-5 year contract.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Ragland as a resign as we need so many LB's, keeping the closest thing we have to replacement level(outside of Collins) might be important for a year or 2.

I can agree with this even though I'm not a huge fan of his. Hopefully he comes cheap (doesn't count against any possible comp pick as he's our FA) and could be viewed as a mentor for any LB drafted this year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is tough, I think he is a beast, but injury-prone and already 27.

Injury-prone ? He had the rookie quad/hamstring issue (5 games missed) but I don't recall any other significant injury until this year. The hip injury scares me.
Franchise tagging him could be a huge risk but Golladay had that injury prior to the trade deadline last year and the NYG were said to have been interested in trading for him. The Colts and Jets and Jags could all be in possible need of him. idk

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with this even though I'm not a huge fan of his. Hopefully he comes cheap (doesn't count against any possible comp pick as he's our FA) and could be viewed as a mentor for any LB drafted this year.
Based on comments by the new coach, I would not be shocked if Davis was back. Seems to think he has been failed by the Lions, not that he is a failure.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injury-prone ? He had the rookie quad/hamstring issue (5 games missed) but I don't recall any other significant injury until this year. The hip injury scares me.
Franchise tagging him could be a huge risk but Golladay had that injury prior to the trade deadline last year and the NYG were said to have been interested in trading for him. The Colts and Jets and Jags could all be in possible need of him. idk
I think 2019 is the only year of 4 he has played the entire season. Last year is the only one he missed significant time though.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 2019 is the only year of 4 he has played the entire season. Last year is the only one he missed significant time though.
gotcha. okay.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mebert
What I don't want to see, hypothetically, is for GM Holmes to cut any player currently signed for 2021 season or beyond prior to the new league year March 17 4:00 pm E.S.T. (i.e. J. Coleman, N. Williams, Trufant, C. Jones etc) because if he does do that then those players, if signed by another team, do Not count towards possible 2022 comp pick additions. Under this situation R. Okwara and Marvin and Golladay could possibly reap some type of comp picks.

It is why I stated lay low on FA signings. I believe after the 1st or 2nd week of July any FA signed doesn't count against comp picks (have to verify that too).

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on comments by the new coach, I would not be shocked if Davis was back. Seems to think he has been failed by the Lions, not that he is a failure.

I kind of got that feeling too. I posted the article on the other thread with HC Campbell more or less stating Davis had been used improperly and had poor coaching.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchise tag candidates for all 32 NFL teams | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

DETROIT LIONS: WR KENNY GOLLADAY

2020 overall grade: 81.6
Projected franchise tag number: $15.808M

Golladay missed the majority of the 2020 season while working hard to recover from a hip ailment, but he still shined in the four full games he battled through injury to play in. Golladay graded out at 85.7 in those four contests, and he put up 50 receiving yards and a touchdown or 100-plus receiving yards in each outing.

The Detroit Lions used the franchise tag on left tackle Taylor Decker prior to the 2020 season before ultimately reaching an agreement on a four-year, $59.65 million extension. Expect a similar situation this offseason with Golladay, especially considering new general manager Brad Holmes is still getting everything in order and assessing the team’s situation after the blockbuster Matthew StaffordJared Goff trade.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golladay's tag wouldn't be horrific but I'd still hope to negotiate a sign and trade with some team.

I wouldn't want to prolong his career with the Lions even for one more year though if tag/trade didn't come through.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchise tag candidates for all 32 NFL teams | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

for comparisons sake

CHICAGO BEARS: WR ALLEN ROBINSON II

2020 overall grade: 88.4
Projected franchise tag number: $18M

HOUSTON TEXANS: WR WILL FULLER V

2020 overall grade: 86.2

LAS VEGAS RAIDERS: WR NELSON AGHOLOR

2020 overall grade: 73.8

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: WR CHRIS GODWIN

2020 overall grade: 79.7

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mebert
What I don't want to see, hypothetically, is for GM Holmes to cut any player currently signed for 2021 season or beyond prior to the new league year March 17 4:00 pm E.S.T. (i.e. J. Coleman, N. Williams, Trufant, C. Jones etc) because if he does do that then those players, if signed by another team, do Not count towards possible 2022 comp pick additions. Under this situation R. Okwara and Marvin and Golladay could possibly reap some type of comp picks.

It is why I stated lay low on FA signings. I believe after the 1st or 2nd week of July any FA signed doesn't count against comp picks (have to verify that too).
Williams, Trufant, Shelton, and Jones would need to show a lot of improvement before they will sign anything that might generate a pick. However, if the Lions are not going to add any big FA, then cutting those players for the upfront savings might not be worth it. Might as well see which of these guys can recover their value with decent coaching.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2021 NFL Free Agency: Most underrated free agent at every position | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

One player I would like to see signed if at the cost that PFF projects but once again I'd rather stay away from any significant signing.

KJ Wright is still playing damn good at age 31 but how far is he from falling off the cliff ? IDK. Highly doubtful he would come to Detroit.

LINEBACKER: K.J. WRIGHT

Projected contract: Two years, $12 million ($6 million guaranteed)

Wright has been a consistent performer in every facet of play throughout his 10-year career. He did have a down year in 2019 following an injury-riddled 2018 season, but Wright still ranked 36th in the league in PFF grade and bounced right back to form in 2020.

Wright was the sixth-most valuable off-ball linebacker in the NFL in 2020, according to PFF WAR. He actually generated three times as much WAR as fellow free agent linebackers Matt Milano and Jayon Brown, who are projected to receive a much, much bigger contract this offseason.

Obviously, age is a key reason for this, but Wright is showing no signs of decline and outplaying those in their prime.