• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions 2020 FA thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions Fans, in general, reacting to current UFA signings

tenor.gif

14069454.gif

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wait and see how much A'Shawn gets paid and you'll more than likely warm up to this signing.

or not.

I dont think 5 mil is a ton at this point. The cap has gone up 30% in like 4 years. 4 years ago this guys gets 3.5 a year. I just think he is a risk at 30. It is 1 think to sign a former star at 30, but it is a totally different thing to sign a journeyman at that age who finally had a good year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the OL signing. Young guy with loads of potential. Starter material. Only a back up in Philly because he was playing behind two of the best.

This.

24/7...….……... 365 (oops, 366 this year)

Liked Halapoulivaaiti coming out of TCU

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think 5 mil is a ton at this point. The cap has gone up 30% in like 4 years. 4 years ago this guys gets 3.5 a year. I just think he is a risk at 30. It is 1 think to sign a former star at 30, but it is a totally different thing to sign a journeyman at that age who finally had a good year.

Most players are getting overpaid, so it's not that big of a deal to me right now.

I'm sure they can get out after a year.

Mike Daniels was 30 last year and received 8M.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agency looking like a disaster so far.

5 million a year for a journeyman DL
10 million a year for a backup OL
10 million a year for a washed up Jamie Collins.

Always doom and gloom coming from you.

Just wait until the draft days arrive.

Check out those flowery shops out there. You'll feel better.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully BQ can at least get one of Shelton, Billings or Pierce for the NT.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions, NFL free agency tracker Day 2: Tom Brady won't return to Patriots

The Lions agreed to a five-year contract with Philadelphia Eagles offensive tackle Halapoulivaati Vaitai on Day 1 of free agency Monday and they remain strongly in the mix for Carolina Panthers offensive guard Greg Van Roten today.

Van Roten started the last two seasons at left guard for the Panthers, but would be a candidate to replace Graham Glasgow on the right side of the line. (Left guard Joe Dahl suffered a serious back injury last year, so Van Roten could be insurance at that position, too.)

Last year, Van Roten's season ended early because of a toe injury.

Whether Van Roten ends up in Detroit or not, it's clear the Lions are not done overhauling their offensive line.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL free agency: Top players remaining for Detroit Lions on Day 2 - Pride Of Detroit

Cornerback
Chris Harris Jr.
Logan Ryan
Aqib Talib
Trae Waynes
Ronald Darby
Jalen Mills

There’s a lot of veteran talent still left in the cornerback market after Byron Jones landed his $16.5 million per year deal with the Dolphins. At this point, it may simply be down to fit and price. Obviously Ronald Darby and Jalen Mills—the latter of which has already been linked to Detroit—are the two names to keep an eye on, as new defensive coordinator Cory Undlin has strong ties to both.

Chris Harris Jr. was reportedly a target at the trade deadline, but it’s unclear his fit in Detroit, as he’s more highly regarded in the slot, and the Lions just spent a lot to get Justin Coleman last year. Logan Ryan is your former Patriot du jour and Trae Waynes is still plenty young (27), but probably won’t come cheap.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SI Headline from Monday morning:

Lions Poised to Be Big Winners Once Free Agency Begins

Lions Poised to Be Big Winners Once Free Agency Begins

Thoughts so far?

I’m still wondering about the Jamie Collins signing. He is essentially replacing Kennard, who the Lions are looking to trade or they will release him.
Kennard is two years younger and was under contract for 4.5 million less per year. Kennard had 14 sacks in two years with Detroit.

If only Kennard had played at NE prior to Detroit, he’d still have a job:L

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed, Kennard has been cut.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed, Kennard has been cut.

nothing official on this alleged cut.

Some asshat, Maakaron, from SI is reporting that he's been cut.

Lions Release LB Devon Kennard

Update

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport since has tweeted, "A slight plot twist: The #Lions are having conversations with teams about trading Kennard. He’ll be on the move, but it could be in a trade."

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nothing official on this alleged cut.

Some asshat, Maakaron, from SI is reporting that he's been cut.

Lions Release LB Devon Kennard

Update

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport since has tweeted, "A slight plot twist: The #Lions are having conversations with teams about trading Kennard. He’ll be on the move, but it could be in a trade."
Ridiculous all the same. The more I think about it, the more it bothers me. Yes, Collins is better than Kennard, let's get that out of the way. But how much better? They gave Kennard 3 yrs/$17 mil two years ago, and gave Collins 3 yrs/ $30 mil today. Kennard isn't earth-shattering, but, as was said above, he had 7 sacks in each of his first two seasons here. This past season he also had 15 hurries, 45 tackles, and a couple forced fumbles. He's definitely earned his salary. He was also elected team captain. Is it really necessary to get rid of him? We can't pay him the little $5 & change in the last year of his deal? Is it a sin to have legit depth at even one position on this team? And Collins has the versatility to move around. Kennard is still the 2nd best linebacker on the team. And, let's also remember, Collins is 30 and has injury history. But nah, we'll just dump Kennard.

WTF?

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were clamoring for Collins last year as a UFA signing.

Better late than never :noidea:

I like the signing of Collins.

Couple things have changed for me

Last off season I wanted to give MP a chance to turn things around. This year he feels like a lame duck with a 99% chance of getting fired.

I was a bit too optimistic about our Dline. Don't waste money or high draft picks on Linebackers unless you've got the defensive line to protect them they'll just end up looking bad regardless of talent/skill.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always doom and gloom coming from you.

Just wait until the draft days arrive.

Check out those flowery shops out there. You'll feel better.

My apologies sir.
These are all wonderful signings.

But in all seriousness.
Why not just keep Graham Glasgow if we were going to give this other guy about the same amount?