• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions 2020 Draft Watch

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just as a reminder @Old Lion

I admit I really wanted an LB in round 2 but I give Quinn and everyone else who were good with drafting Swift. I mentioned during the draft that my strategy in round 2 is always BAP because there is always a 1st round talent available earlyish in round 2.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Quinn did better than my mock draft. I did get Ruiz in the second, but can't ding Quinn because he went earlier.

3. Detroit : Jeff Okudah - CB - Ohio St.
35. Detroit : Cesar Ruiz - C - Michigan
67. Detroit : Jordan Elliott - DT - Missouri
70. Detroit : Kyle Dugger - S - Lenoir-Rhyne
149. Detroit : James Lynch - DE - Baylor
182. Detroit : Joe Reed - WR - Virginia
235. Detroit : Jashon Cornell - DT - Ohio State

Looks like I reached on Elliot, steal on Reed, Lynch, and Dugger (based on actual draft slot)

Where I really failed was trades. Quin moved up 10 spots in the third for 85, 149. 182.

I moved up 15 spots for 85, 109, 166.

You would think I was trading with the Patriots.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I misunderstood your post then:noidea:

Nah.

giphy.gif

l41YgYjOXrpBGqRlC.gif

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Quinn did better than my mock draft. I did get Ruiz in the second, but can't ding Quinn because he went earlier.

Looks like I reached on Elliot, steal on Reed, Lynch, and Dugger (based on actual draft slot)

TBH, I'm glad they didn't draft Elliot. I kind of hopped off that train after further viewing. Ya never know.

I thought this SportsHoopla draft of yours was pretty damn good.

Would've liked to have had Lynch, A lot, but wouldn't swap Stenberg for him. Rather have had two fourth round picks so we could've drafted Lynch also.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where I really failed was trades. Quin moved up 10 spots in the third for 85, 149. 182.

I moved up 15 spots for 85, 109, 166.

You would think I was trading with the Patriots.

Somehow the Patriots probably ended up with one of those picks in #109 or #166 .

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBH, I'm glad they didn't draft Elliot. I kind of hopped off that train after further viewing. Ya never know.

I thought this SportsHoopla draft of yours was pretty damn good.

Would've liked to have had Lynch. A lot, but wouldn't swap Stenberg for him. Rather have had two fourth round picks so we could've drafted Lynch also

Yeah, Elliot is the pick I regret. I could have just taken Dugger there, then used 85 on Logan Wilson, Matt Peart, or Amik Robertson

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see how my comment could be taken as a anti 2nd over a pro 3rd.

And I still would have preferred Epenesa there.

I know it'll seem crazy when you compare the following three players because talent level and for one where he played CFB, but do you think Epenesa wasn't drafted because they're thinking he might have been replicating what they have in Romeo Okwara and Kevin Strong. Neither of the latter two displayed the talent in CFB like Epenesa did.

Maybe BQ had Epenesa as one of those four DL he was interested in but only if Epenesa dropped to #67.

I still believe if Okwara hadn't fallen to #67 we may have seen Bama's OLB Lewis (They love those bama players due to similar scheme/fit).

I'm glad Okwara was the choice.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn’t Dugger go in round 2 to the Pats?

New England has got to be one of the most interesting stories in forever. They never seem to draft great.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Elliot is the pick I regret. I could have just taken Dugger there, then used 85 on Logan Wilson, Matt Peart, or Amik Robertson

Just like in the real world of NFL GM's drafting, you'll never know. You've got to stick to "your board".

Wilson would've been a great pick.

I would've leaned heavier towards St. John's OT/OG Ben Bartch over Peart just for the possible higher ceiling in Bartch. Neither, imo, would've transitioned to NFL LT. Peart seemed to have played better at RT then he had at LT for U-Conn. idk, kind of higher ceiling/higher floor with Bartch over Peart on a gamble basis.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn’t Dugger go in round 2 to the Pats?

New England has got to be one of the most interesting stories in forever. They never seem to draft great.

YUP.

at #37 with that trade LAC

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny meme. especially the last one.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2020 NFL Rookie of the Year odds: 2 Detroit Lions have top-5 odds - Pride Of Detroit

On the offensive side, Georgia running back D’Andre Swift also came in with the fifth shortest odds with 12-1 odds to win Offensive Rookie of the Year. It’s no surprise that two quarterbacks—Joe Burrow (2.5-1) and Tua Tagovailoa (10-1)—are ahead of Swift, but it may surprise you to see that two running backs—Clyde Edwards-Helaire (6-1) and Jonathan Taylor (9-1)—also have shorter odds than Swift.

If Swift were to win Offensive Rookie of the Year, he’d become the fourth Lions running back to earn those honors, joining Barry Sanders, Billy Sims and Mel Farr.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions GM Bob Quinn explains all 9 draft picks

Round 2 - RB D’Andre Swift

Bob Quinn:

“Felt really good about that pick, obviously (a) playmaker, explosive, three-down value, really, really good football player. Played at a high level – know their coaches down there, know the conference that he plays in.”

In D’Andre’s case, he sat behind a first-round pick in Sony (Michel) and a high second-round pick in (Nick) Chubb from a couple years ago. So you go back and watch him early, he kind of was the complement back. He went in there and made plays a couple years ago, and then really last year played more. I think every step along the way he’s improved. So hopefully he can take another step when he gets here.”

“I think we always need multiple backs. It’s a position where guys get hit. They take a pounding. So, we’ve just got to make sure we have good depth and guys that can go out there and make plays for us.”

D’Andre’s not going to carry the ball 35 times a game, we know that. We’re going to use our backs, we’re going to use all of them. That’s why we drafted D’Andre, he’s going to be part of that package.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Round 3 - G Jonah Jackson
Bob Quinn:

“Guard transfer from Rutgers, really tough guy, strong, athletic, smart, nasty. I mean, any O-line trait that you put in the scouting manual, this guy has it. Really a guy that we targeted dating back before the Senior Bowl. We were very lucky. I was not lucky to be in the Senior Bowl – let me rephrase that. We were lucky to have Jonah on our team and get to know him a little bit better, so the comfort level was great.”

“Jonah was a graduate transfer that played at Rutgers at a very high level and then wanted to go play against the best. That kind of told me something. We talked to this kid, ‘Why did you want to play another year?’ He could have come out last year. He wanted to play against the best competition. So, that says something. He went there and fit in immediately.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Round 4 - G Logan Stenberg
Bob Quinn:

“It wasn’t a need-based picked, it was just kind of, ‘Hey, this is the best guy on the board.’ Had a good grade on him, felt comfortable with the person and went after him and moved back and was able to get him and picked up another pick.”

Logan is a nasty guy. They ran the ball a ton at Kentucky, so he’s a little bit probably a better run blocker right now than pass protection. But this guy is 6-foot-6, 320 (pounds), long arms, nasty demeanor. So, it wasn’t a difficult evaluation. It’s just in college football you see these guys pass protect all the time because it’s always drop back, it’s three-wide, it’s four-wide. So, when you put on the Kentucky film, it’s like, ‘Wow, they’re actually running the ball downhill.’ So, it’s fun to watch because you don’t really see it a lot in college football. So, some of the run stuff is actually a direct correlation to what we do and some of the pass stuff you’ll have to work on, but we felt really good about the player.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Round 5 - WR Quintez Cephus
Bob Quinn:

“Really strong player, very physical, great catch radius, strong hands. (Offensive Coordinator Darrell) Bevell has a strong relationship up in Wisconsin obviously – one of his former teammates is one of the coaches up there, so really got a great recommendation on that player there in the fifth.

On Cephus’ legal matter:

“We did our normal research that we do on all players, no problems there. We looked into that legal matter, did our research and felt good with it. And like I said, Coach (Darrell) Bevell has great relationships up there (at Wisconsin), talked to the football people and people on campus at Wisconsin, and that thing was in his past. They speak glowingly of this player and person.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Round 5 - RB Jason Huntley
Bob Quinn:

“This is a speed player, this is a space running back, little bit undersized but extremely fast and athletic and competitive. When you guys see this guy play – he’s probably 195 pounds, but when you watch him, he plays a lot bigger than that. He’s very physical, he’s not avoiding contact. He’s a dynamic special teams returner as well.”

Huntley will be our smallest guy, but he’s extremely fast. So (I’m) very confident that we’ll find a role for him, and he is going to be in competition with Ty Johnson

First and foremost, he is a running back. But yes, he’s a guy who can do multiple things. He’s not Bo Scarbrough, right? He’s not that kind of running back. He’s a guy that you get him in space - J.D. McKissic’s a good example.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Round 6 - DT John Penisini
Bob Quinn:

“He was kind of a clog in the middle of the defense that did all the dirty work. Really good scheme-fit for us, strong player, physical, plays low to the ground, uses his hands extremely well, great culture fit, great person, hard worker. That was a really easy pick for us.”