• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lets Laugh @ Cincinnati Bungals

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm from Columbus. Lived in central Ohio most of my life (never Cincy).

I'm just going off my own experience. I've had over 3k different beers (probably mostly from Ohio) over the past 2.5 years, and in that time taken brewery trips to both Cincy and CLE. Like I said, it's definitely debatable, but I give the slight edge to Cincy. I haven't been to Masthead yet, though (other side of the coin - haven't been to Brink either).

What are you basing this top beer off of, out of curiosity?

Also, unrelated-ish: Jackie O's is my favorite Ohio brewery. Going Friday
Top Rated Beers: Ohio (US)

That's where I got the top beers. I won't disagree on Jackie O's, that's a phenomenal brewery.

Of course it's more a matter of opinion. I feel like Cincinnati has been getting more press recently, but it's because they were behind NE Ohio and Columbus in the craft brewery scene, so there's been a lot more activity there recently.

It's all a matter of opinion, but I will say that I think Columbus has two of the more overrated breweries. Hoofhearted and Seventh Son are just alright IMO and they get talked up a lot, but Landgrant is one of my favorites as well.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no dog in the fight, and my one and only Ohio trip was a week at Wright Pat, but I did find this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ohioexplored.com/blog-posts/2018/5/10/40-best-craft-breweries-in-ohio?format=amp

I'm gonna agree with go bucks and say it's all debatable.
There's also this list - 5 in NE Ohio, 1 in Cincinnati

The 10 Best Craft Breweries In Ohio

You can find literally dozens of lists like this. Again, it's all a matter of opinion. I personally prefer the Cleveland scene because it also includes Akron/Canton (30-45 minutes away), which also have some fantastic breweries as well.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top Rated Beers: Ohio (US)

That's where I got the top beers. I won't disagree on Jackie O's, that's a phenomenal brewery.

Of course it's more a matter of opinion. I feel like Cincinnati has been getting more press recently, but it's because they were behind NE Ohio and Columbus in the craft brewery scene, so there's been a lot more activity there recently.

It's all a matter of opinion, but I will say that I think Columbus has two of the more overrated breweries. Hoofhearted and Seventh Son are just alright IMO and they get talked up a lot, but Landgrant is one of my favorites as well.
Hoof does get hype. To be fair, their NEDIPA's and heavy stouts are really good. That's all they got, though.

Seventh son is good. I wouldn't say they do anything phenomenal, but pretty much everything they do is really solid. Have you been to their new place, Antiques on High? It's mainly sours. They're good, but probably behind the sours at Pretentious and Wolf's Ridge.

I like Land Grant's location and set up a lot more than their beers. I think their marketing, and business sense are better than their brewing ability. They aren't bad, by any means, though.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also this list - 5 in NE Ohio, 1 in Cincinnati

The 10 Best Craft Breweries In Ohio

You can find literally dozens of lists like this. Again, it's all a matter of opinion. I personally prefer the Cleveland scene because it also includes Akron/Canton (30-45 minutes away), which also have some fantastic breweries as well.
That list blows, too, haha

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That list blows
It very well may, as I said I spent one week in Ohio. Was working and out drinking every night was out of the question.

I just provided an Ohio view that said the whole thing is debatable.

Reactions: gob

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoof does get hype. To be fair, their NEDIPA's and heavy stouts are really good. That's all they got, though.

Seventh son is good. I wouldn't say they do anything phenomenal, but pretty much everything they do is really solid. Have you been to their new place, Antiques on High? It's mainly sours. They're good, but probably behind the sours at Pretentious and Wolf's Ridge.

I like Land Grant's location and set up a lot more than their beers. I think their marketing, and business sense are better than their brewing ability. They aren't bad, by any means, though.
Haven't been to Antiques on High yet, but I'm only a sour fan when I'm in the mood. Wolf's Ridge is definitely ahead of SS and Hoof, IMO. Better stouts, I love the Dire Wolfs. Also, I think Konky Dong is the most overrated beer in the city.

I'm a big fan of Land Grant's beers. Haven't really had a bad one honestly. I'm not usually a fan of kolsch or lager, but they have the best kolsch I've ever had, and the IPL they had a few years ago was really good too. Plus their collaboration beers have been pretty solid overall.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It very well may, as I said I spent one week in Ohio. Was working and out drinking every night was out of the question.

I just provided an Ohio view that said the whole thing is debatable.
Where in Ohio were you?

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't been to Antiques on High yet, but I'm only a sour fan when I'm in the mood. Wolf's Ridge is definitely ahead of SS and Hoof, IMO. Better stouts, I love the Dire Wolfs. Also, I think Konky Dong is the most overrated beer in the city.

I'm a big fan of Land Grant's beers. Haven't really had a bad one honestly. I'm not usually a fan of kolsch or lager, but they have the best kolsch I've ever had, and the IPL they had a few years ago was really good too. Plus their collaboration beers have been pretty solid overall.
Their creamsikolch (I think that's what it is)? That's definitely a good summer beer. Konkey is good (but probably not as good as the hype), but Bodhi is my most overrated, haha.

I have about 15 barrel aged Dire Wolfs (various varieties) at home right now.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their creamsikolch (I think that's what it is)? That's definitely a good summer beer. Konkey is good (but probably not as good as the hype), but Bodhi is my most overrated, haha.

I have about 15 barrel aged Dire Wolfs (various varieties) at home right now.
No just the regular kolsch that's normally on draft. Haven't had the creamsikolsch yet. They also have my favorite regular go-to IPA and session in Columbus, though regular old CBC IPA is solid as well.

I don't buy into the hype over Bodhi but I think it's fine. It's a sledgehammer of a beer but I like it. I may need to try Konkey again. My cousin built it up a couple years ago and said it was better than Hop Juju (lol), so I was basing it off that, but I remember ordering it and struggling to enjoy it.

Enjoy those Dire Wolfs my friend.

Reactions: gob

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great Lakes > Seventh Son > (insert random Ohio beer)

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great Lakes > Seventh Son > (insert random Ohio beer)
As much as I love the Cleveland brewery scene, Great Lakes is insanely overrated these days. Losing their brewmaster a few years ago to 12 Dogs hurt, but now they think they need to go trying to make every beer under the sun, and IMO it's hurt some of their staples like Burning River and Dortmunder. They just don't seem to taste as good as they used to.

That said, they have the best physical brew pub in Ohio IMO. W. 25th is an amazing beer/bar crawl in general.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I love the Cleveland brewery scene, Great Lakes is insanely overrated these days. Losing their brewmaster a few years ago to 12 Dogs hurt, but now they think they need to go trying to make every beer under the sun, and IMO it's hurt some of their staples like Burning River and Dortmunder. They just don't seem to taste as good as they used to.

That said, they have the best physical brew pub in Ohio IMO. W. 25th is an amazing beer/bar crawl in general.
It's a cool set up.

But I was really disappointed with the selection. Usually, when you go to tap rooms, they'll have at least a few beers on tap that you can't find outside the brewery. Everything they had on tap, you could buy at Kroger.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We only want the right people for this job. There are only a handful of right people. The right people are currently in high demand and thus currently employed. This shows we are aren't going to settle for some unemployed bum, (see Browns and Steelers). Glad to see we won't sink to the lows of those other teams and will only hire a great candidate.
NEXT

2q4yb1.jpg

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where in Ohio were you?
Wright Paterson, about 15 years ago in February. I can't compare it against other parts of Ohio, but it sucked. Granted it isn't fair to say a place sucks being there a total of 5 days looking at black snow, but it did suck.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a cool set up.

But I was really disappointed with the selection. Usually, when you go to tap rooms, they'll have at least a few beers on tap that you can't find outside the brewery. Everything they had on tap, you could buy at Kroger.
Are you talking about GL? They've always had 4-5 beers on tap that aren't in stores. They have 6 currently -

30TH ANNIVERSARY IMPERIAL OYSTER STOUT
BARREL AGED HOLY MOSES WHITE ALE
DU RAUCH SMOKED LAGER
PINEAPPLE MILK STOUT
SOUR BROWN ALE
TRIPEL DOG DARE

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wright Paterson, about 15 years ago in February. I can't compare it against other parts of Ohio, but it sucked. Granted it isn't fair to say a place sucks being there a total of 5 days looking at black snow, but it did suck.
Ah, so you were in Dayton. Yes, that city sucks in its entirety. It's a horrible comparison for Cleveland, Columbus, or Cincinnati, let alone the more rural areas like Athens/Logan.