• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's Just Make Shit Up

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marshall

got into Case but its extremely expensive- and for someone who will stay local Marshall actually has a better alumni network and offered a lot mroe scholarship $....

i was accounting undergrad, and am just finishing a clerkship with a firm that does mostly business law- even though i actually have touched in domestic relations and some litigation.....

actually the last 2 weeks i have worked on a sexual harrassment case almost exclusively that reads like a freaking lifetime movie...its ridiculous

Congrats.
Case heavily recruited my son. I'm talking a post card a day for a month.
He didn't pull a LeBron though.
He decided to stay at UM.

I agree it's a good move to go to school at where you hope to establish your roots.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my advice to him is get a group of 2-3 people he really trusts to be in a study group with....if you get anymore you just dont end up getting anything done--- and try and get with people that have similar intelligence and or similar study habits....thats really important so you are always not either dragging people along or trying to catch up----and that you can get good time together....

not a lot of people know this- some do- but law school is all on a curve- in my 1L section there were 35 or so students- and NO MATTER WHAT happens- only 10% get A's in the class.. usually rounded up and maybe massaged a little- so maybe 5 A's....

so everyone is competing over those grades...doesnt matter if 10 people get 94%...only the top 5 get A's and the tiebreaker is class particpation, attendance, etc.......

so you really need to get a goood group of people you trust

and my advice to your son- some stuff that is more tangible

his notes--- date them and mark the pagenumbers the material is from- this might seem self explanatory but if u dont think about it or forget it hurts you - since usually its just one big test at the end- and by the end ofthe semester in december you go back and lookat notes from september and can get lost

Appreciate the words of wisdom.

I'll pass this along to him.
He chose to live alone this year to avoid any distractions.
He's starting from scratch in as far as who to trust, but he'll just have to figure it out.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats.
Case heavily recruited my son. I'm talking a post card a day for a month.
He didn't pull a LeBron though.
He decided to stay at UM.

I agree it's a good move to go to school at where you hope to establish your roots.

i am assuming from your avatar you mean Miami and not michigan :) ....yah i have heard Miami is a very good school.

i took a few years off in between going back and got some experience in the accounting field which has helped me as i have a mostly business concetration....

but i will tell you- law school is honestly so much like high school its crazy--- for me anyway- and i am sure for most- all the classes are in one building, there is a cafeteria where everyone eats, you travel from class to class with all the same people in your section- the "socials" are mainly just law school studnets....their are cliques and a good deal of arrogant assholes which- i mean is par for the course in law school, ...there is a ton of gossip and its really competitive- but the girls leave somthing to be desired- dont get me wrong- after working an accounting job for a couple years with mainly older foks- going back with a bunch of 22, -25 year old girls were nice-but its not like undergrad...a undergrad 7 is a law school 10 EASY....

its just funny how much it reminds me of high school and is so different from undergrad...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appreciate the words of wisdom.

I'll pass this along to him.
He chose to live alone this year to avoid any distractions.
He's starting from scratch in as far as who to trust, but he'll just have to figure it out.

the notes thing is important - especially your first semester

because honestly- I got to december and looked at my notes from september- and how i was briefing cases before i really knew how to do it, and i didnt date them, or really reference page numberse or anything and they were fairly useless and i had to go back and re do a lot of stuff- which ultimately was its own form of studying i guess

but really- tell him- that keep in mind- you are taking these notes so that in 3-4 months you have them to study for- so do them in a way that will be beneficial to you months from now when you wont totally remember them

always keep that in mind and it will guide him how to take good notes...make sure they are useful to you- if they are not then they are just wasted time....

tht would be my best piece of small tangible advice that can actually be implemented

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am assuming from your avatar you mean Miami and not michigan :) ....yah i have heard Miami is a very good school.

i took a few years off in between going back and got some experience in the accounting field which has helped me as i have a mostly business concetration....

but i will tell you- law school is honestly so much like high school its crazy--- for me anyway- and i am sure for most- all the classes are in one building, there is a cafeteria where everyone eats, you travel from class to class with all the same people in your section- the "socials" are mainly just law school studnets....their are cliques and a good deal of arrogant assholes which- i mean is par for the course in law school, ...there is a ton of gossip and its really competitive- but the girls leave somthing to be desired- dont get me wrong- after working an accounting job for a couple years with mainly older foks- going back with a bunch of 22, -25 year old girls were nice-but its not like undergrad...a undergrad 7 is a law school 10 EASY....

its just funny how much it reminds me of high school and is so different from undergrad...

Yes Miami.
Realistically he had always targeted Emory ( priority waiting list) or to stay in his comfort zone ( with nice scholarship- my vote).
Emory actually emailed him TODAY to gauge his interest level, even though orientation is in less than 2 weeks.
How in the hell do they think someone can wait until the last minute to make such a big decision, let alone need to relocate?

And yes, UM's law school is one building in the middle of main campus.
The entire campus is built in a circle and you can walk it in 10-15 minutes.
It looks more like a resort then a typical campus.

GunsUp_ShootinBlanks

I spreche turable Engrish
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller who shot 46% from 3 last year

Waiters who shot 37% from 3 last year

J.Jones who saw very limited duty but is considered one of the best 3 pt shooters in the league (he shot over 50% from 3- albeit it very limited playing time)

really...unless you are taking at least 4 a game the stat probably shouldnt even be looked at

James Jones 2.7 attempts per game. James Jones NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Mike Miller 2.8 attempts per game. Mike Miller NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Dion Waiters 3.6 attempts per game. Dion Waiters NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Lebron right on the cusp at 4 per game.

You couldn't even wait a page before contradicting yourself to fit your argument. I don't care one way or the other, but thought that was interesting.

On a more serious note, who, outside of Varejao and Lebron, plans on playing defense game in and game out in the Cavs starting line up? I'm sure they will win a shitload of games just by outscoring people, but I'm curious to see how that works out in the playoffs and long term.

They have a lot of the same flaws in the post as the Heat had, no rim protectors. Relative to Lebron's Heat, it looks like it will be a better offense with worse defense to me, but what do I know? Hope Varejao can actually stay healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the point was 16 is still 16. i rest my case...

That was your point, but it means what?
And there is no case, because nobody said it wasn't true.

Saying 16 is still 16, does nothing to counter what I said, which is that modern day championships are much harder to win then championships from decades ago.

If you disagree with that, I'd love to hear the reasoning.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Saying 16 is still 16, does nothing to counter what I said, which is that modern day championships are much harder to win then championships from decades ago.

yah bragging about championships that happened decades ago in a league with mostly 6 foot 7 white dudes in a 12 team league- really doesnt do much for me...doesnt even get it moving, not even a smidgeon...

in a league where Joel Anthony would be the 2nd coming...yah... not that compelling

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Jones 2.7 attempts per game. James Jones NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Mike Miller 2.8 attempts per game. Mike Miller NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Dion Waiters 3.6 attempts per game. Dion Waiters NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

You couldn't even wait a page before contradicting yourself to fit your argument. I don't care one way or the other, but thought that was interesting.

On a more serious note, who, outside of Varejao and Lebron, plans on playing defense game in and game out in the Cavs starting line up? I'm sure they will win a shitload of games just by outscoring people, but I'm curious to see how that works out in the playoffs and long term.

They have a lot of the same flaws in the post as the Heat had, no rim protectors. Relative to Lebron's Heat, it looks like it will be a better offense with worse defense to me, but what do I know? Hope Varejao can actually stay healthy.

I said JAmes Jones doesnt even really count because he hardly played..

And i am legitmaitely surprised miller did not shoot more 3s-- that def surprises me....Waiters was around wehre i thought he would be consideringhe is mostly a drive and kick guy but obviously has to be respected from outside which really adds a great aspect to his game

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

very fair points-

i will say- that Thompson was drafted for his rebounding and defensive potential and i think will become a good defender...

and as you said Varejao is a good defender- as far as guardingthe pick and roll- which is the base of basically everyones offense in the NBA- outside of Noah- there probably is not a big int he game that shows better on pick and rolls and recovers liek varejao- and can even switch and stay in front of guys on occasion

and LeBron covers up a lot of woes defensively as he is easily - when engaged on that end and not exhausted from carrying the load on the other end- an absolute beast defensively--- i think he should have wona DPOY the year he was the runner up

other than that---- the year the Cavs won 66 games we talked about at length earlier....they were the #1 defensive team in the elague tht year- and its not like they had a ton of great individual defenders on that team.

if the Cavs add another decent bench guy like Marion...that will help

but taking the playmaking and offensive production laod off kyries shoulders- having him physically mature and get in an nba weight room and learn defense- will help out considerably...

not many teenagers and players in their early 20s play good D- is nearly unheard of unless that is their speciality from day one and what they focus on. plus- teenagers usually- unless they are a freak like Lebron- are not physically equipped to play D on grown menthat know every trick in the book in the NBA....

only experience, and effort will help--- and I think Tristan will become a real asset defensively over the next year or two or three....and Kyrie will become a guy who is adequate defensively....

the Cavs had the #1 d inthe league with a perimeter of mo williams, daniel gibson, delonte west and wally sceribiack getting all the big minutes....

Waiters, thompson, irving surely have more potential defensively then that group- they just need the experience, and the coaching to get there

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

plus- limiting the other sides opportunities is an important part of having a good defense.

The Cavs will have, outside of Chicago, (on the top of my head anyway), perhaps the best rebounding team in the league

Kevin Love is without a doubt a top 5 rebounder in the league- many people would tell you the best

Andy Varejao is an elite rebounder as well- he is DEFINITELY a top 5 guy on the offensive glass- 2 years ago, when he was doing his best to try and be robin to kyrie's batman- he got hurt and was averaging like 15 and 14- now Varejao cant play 35 minutes and start and go balls out like that and not get hurt- even if he was 25 he couldnt do it playing the way he plays- but now that the load is off his shoulders- i believe he will be able to play that 25-28 minutes a night- and on some nights extend that- - but there is no doubt he is an elite rebounder in the league

LeBron and Melo are probably the best SF rebounders in the game..

Tristan almost had double digist rebounds last year and was at about 9 the year before....that is currently his best attribute

thats 4 rebounders on the Cavs that are very good- that will limit 2nd chance opportunities and get the Cavs more of their own--- that helps the defense a lot

and as you know- sometimes the best defense can be a good offense. A guy guarding Kyrie exerts a lot more energy then a guy guarding mario chalmers--- and when you have Kyrie, LeBron, and Love- guys are going to have to be working like crazy - fouls will be drawn, players will get tired...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and you are right- i should have said something closer to 3- looking at what the league leaders shoot per game and waht the average is per game- 3 per 36 minutes is more reasonable i would say

what number do u think is reasonable to get a good idea and make the percentage actually mean something?

at that time i was looking at the 2 years deng was at 38 and 40 percent and he only made 0.2 and 0.5 3s per game and obviously that is not material.

what to you is a material number of attempts per game to say an average shooting percentage actually means something? i am hoenstly asking- obviously 4 was much too high

and obviously it should be based on something like per 36 minutes to adjust for a guy like miller who at his age- while still contributing - only does so for about 20 minutes a game- so 2.8 would still significant

GunsUp_ShootinBlanks

I spreche turable Engrish
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said JAmes Jones doesnt even really count because he hardly played..

And i am legitmaitely surprised miller did not shoot more 3s-- that def surprises me....Waiters was around wehre i thought he would be consideringhe is mostly a drive and kick guy but obviously has to be respected from outside which really adds a great aspect to his game

I was mostly fucking with you on the first part of that post. I am well aware of how skilled that group of players is at shooting threes, and although I'm not completely sold on Lebron's consistency from the outside, he is pretty intelligent in terms of when he takes them.

The effort level I've seen from Kyrie and Love on that end of the floor(especially Love with his sacrificing defense for rebounding positioning) is pathetic, and I know pathetic with Harden residing on my squad. Granted, I haven't watched a lot of Cavs and Wolves games in recent history so I notice their highlights(or lack there of) and probably overemphasize them when I see them.

There is certainly a chance they will improve individually without having to be the main focus of the offense and the leadership Bron brings to the table. I'm just in a wait and see approach on that side of the floor. They will certainly have plenty of nationally televised appearances to prove they have the desire to perform on that end of the floor.

Edit: As far as the three pointers per game, I think it largely depends on the position the player plays and their number of minutes, but if you're jacking up at least 2-2.5 a game it shows that you have at least a little confidence in your shot or the balls to take it when the opportunity presents itself. Like I said, I was mostly just fucking with you for the sake of fucking with you.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets take a moment, and give congratulations to Kobe, who will be the first player to be in the 30k/6k/6k club after this year.

:suds:

Sportsman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Heat are a cheap whore. I guess that would make the Clippers the hoe that's on the receiving end of a bukkake.

That's pretty pathetic, taking my same joke and adding bukkake to it, not very imaginative. Of course, that's to be expected from an obtuse heat fan.

Sportsman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pat Riley's the Heat's GM. Miami only has McRoberts and Bosh on the books for the 2016 free agency. Miami is still going to be competitive. Probably not title favorites anymore, but probably around where the Clippers are at now. At least my team had its title days. Yours will never get there.

Hey dumbass Riley got you into the situation you are in now, how do you expect him to get you out of it. I don't see another Lebron or Shaq pounding down the door to play with the Heat…lol

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Sportsman, will the clippers take new selfies, to hang up this year?

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:Lyiiikkkeeesss...

carry on...

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah bragging about championships that happened decades ago in a league with mostly 6 foot 7 white dudes in a 12 team league- really doesnt do much for me...doesnt even get it moving, not even a smidgeon...

in a league where Joel Anthony would be the 2nd coming...yah... not that compelling

DO tell me who was "bragging". simply stated FACT...:rollseyes:

i find it amusing how quickly NON-Lakers fans are to split hairs. try this argument with Celtics fans and watch the results...