• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

lesson from this year's playoffs

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What I took away from this year's playoffs is we cannot come out in games slow and always expect to come back. We came out slow vs. ATL and spotted them 17 points and it took a goal line stand to win that game, we came out slow against the Ravens and we can out short. We need to come out better out of the gate.

Also we need to limit the big play. Two bonehead plays that stand out to me in these playoffs is the pass to Jacoby Jones which was a desperation throw that somehow went for a TD, and in the ATL game the wide open pass to Julio Jones where Goldson blew the coverage. We cannot have these blown coverages and let those big plays occur.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I took away from this year's playoffs is we cannot come out in games slow and always expect to come back. We came out slow vs. ATL and spotted them 17 points and it took a goal line stand to win that game, we came out slow against the Ravens and we can out short. We need to come out better out of the gate.

Also we need to limit the big play. Two bonehead plays that stand out to me in these playoffs is the pass to Jacoby Jones which was a desperation throw that somehow went for a TD, and in the ATL game the wide open pass to Julio Jones where Goldson blew the coverage. We cannot have these blown coverages and let those big plays occur.

What's coming out better, beyond just executing better? Do you mean run to set up the pass? Because as far as lessons go, we already know that starting slow is bad, every team in the league knows that. It's like basketball players saying they need to score more or execute better. But here, I think what you're trying to say is not go for the big play but rather go for rhythm early, which might mean running the ball more?

I think this team would have been better this year if we had started out with the approach we did with Smith - but with Kaep and take advantage of Kaep's unique things more. We just needed Smith to do what Smith did, but better = Kaep. Then work things in. We sometimes go for the homerun and don't get it and slow down. This offseason is where we could change identities.

Having said that, we might have started much faster without the illegal formation call, given Davis' first catch that was negated. So, I won't say the plan was poor. Just hindsight. We did really well this postseason to this point, I can't in hindsight say that we should have done x and y.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Illegal formation, then another play looked like a botched play, and just no continuity coming out of the gate.

On the other hand, our last two opponents (BALT, ATL) got passing TDs on us right out of the gate.

Also we've let up some big passing plays on D right out of the gate.

We just looked sluggish on both sides of the ball at the beginning of the game, the past two games.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illegal formation, then another play looked like a botched play, and just no continuity coming out of the gate.

On the other hand, our last two opponents (BALT, ATL) got passing TDs on us right out of the gate.

Also we've let up some big passing plays on D right out of the gate.

We just looked sluggish on both sides of the ball at the beginning of the game, the past two games.

Agree. It'll take awhile to get over this loss. And there'll always be some.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm pissed the most about the two plays given up to Jacoby Jones. The long desperation bomb and then he gets up and runs in from like 7 yards out, and then the kickoff return right after half time.

That crappy play pisses me off way more than the holding on Crabtree.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
clearly, we need more pressure.

up to now, Fangio hasn't needed more pressure past four rushers? next season, he'll start to blitz a LITTLE more earlier. not often too early, but add a few more from the get go.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pissed the most about the two plays given up to Jacoby Jones. The long desperation bomb and then he gets up and runs in from like 7 yards out, and then the kickoff return right after half time.

That crappy play pisses me off way more than the holding on Crabtree.

This

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
clearly, we need more pressure.

up to now, Fangio hasn't needed more pressure past four rushers? next season, he'll start to blitz a LITTLE more earlier. not often too early, but add a few more from the get go.

I really feel like everyone is forgetting that Justin Smith was playing with a torn triceps tendon. Our recent lack of pass rush directly correlates with his injury. Regardless I feel they got enough pressure... They just didn't maintain coverage.

What I don't get is that the Ravens run the ball and they go deep. That's just what they do. The Niners stuffed the run but they weren't prepared for the deep game. Or they blew their assignments not sure which one.