• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a big Harrison fan, but to trade him off because you picked up a guy like Oswalt for a year doesn't make much sense. I'd rather hold on to what we have and when and if Perez is ready to make a move put him in a position that says he has to be better to earn somebody's spot rather than just chunk him in there because we created a vacancy in advance.

And why trade away talent to fill the CF position for a short period of time when they have already invested 15 million in Martin with designs on him being the centerfielder of the future?

And what are the chances of finding someone who can play the position better than Gentry? Pretty slim I'd think.

This is my whole point.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. I just disagree with the concept of making moves just for a marginal upgrade.

and i'm not in favor of any move that results in a marginal upgrade. all i did was make suggestions of possible moves based on the ton of rumors floating around. personally i like the team as it is, we have a huge core of starters with Lewis, Holland, Darvish, Harrison, Feliz, Ogando & Feldman, our bullpen is solid with Nathan, Adams, Lowe, Uehara, Ogando & Feldman (needing only a Left-Hander to complete) and a batting order that has to worry any starting staff centered around Kinsler, Young, Hamilton, Beltre, Cruz & Napoli.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i'm not in favor of any move that results in a marginal upgrade. all i did was make suggestions of possible moves based on the ton of rumors floating around. personally i like the team as it is, we have a huge core of starters with Lewis, Holland, Darvish, Harrison, Feliz, Ogando & Feldman, our bullpen is solid with Nathan, Adams, Lowe, Uehara, Ogando & Feldman (needing only a Left-Hander to complete) and a batting order that has to worry any starting staff centered around Kinsler, Young, Hamilton, Beltre, Cruz & Napoli.

Dude. It's cool. I don't make personal attacks on here and that includes you. My frustrations were probably misdirected as I'm tired of seeing rumors being thrown around that include things like casting aside a young 14 game winner with a 3ish era in favor of an aging pitcher with back problems or aging first baseman.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude. It's cool. I don't make personal attacks on here and that includes you. My frustrations were probably misdirected as I'm tired of seeing rumors being thrown around that include things like casting aside a young 14 game winner with a 3ish era in favor of an aging pitcher with back problems or aging first baseman.

and i agree that that move makes no sense. it is just one of many rumors involving the Rangers.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i agree that that move makes no sense. it is just one of many rumors involving the Rangers.

You throw out the rumors and we say why we think they do or don't make sense, isn't that the whole reason to throw the rumor out there is to inspire discussion and debate?

I personally have no problem with this, but if you don't like people questioning rumors YOU put up there, then maybe you shouldn't post rumors??

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You throw out the rumors and we say why we think they do or don't make sense, isn't that the whole reason to throw the rumor out there is to inspire discussion and debate?

I personally have no problem with this, but if you don't like people questioning rumors YOU put up there, then maybe you shouldn't post rumors??

i don't have a problem with anyone expressing an opinion. so why do some have a problem when i express an opinion.

also if we don't discuss the rumors floating around what do we discuss?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't have a problem with anyone expressing an opinion. so why do some have a problem when i express an opinion.

No one has a problem with you expressing your opinion. But don't wear your feelings on your sleeve when we disagree with your opinions or ideas. Get that chip off your shoulder.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we could discuss how this little thread is about to roll to it's 100th page!

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at it as the whole "don't kill the messenger" idea, scotsman is the messenger, sometimes I disagree with the message but I'm not personally attacking him, just the message (or rumor in this case)

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at it as the whole "don't kill the messenger" idea, scotsman is the messenger, sometimes I disagree with the message but I'm not personally attacking him, just the message (or rumor in this case)

Yes. And he should take it that way.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's some debate in the Rangers' front office over whether Oswalt is necessary given Texas' existing starting pitching depth, ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick tweets.

and well they should debate the necessity of it

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i don't think that they are looking at it that way. i think they are looking at a trade to bring in someone or someones that they feel they need and that Oswalt on a one year deal fills a starter hole until Martin Perez is ready

If Oswalt is in the rotation ... then who does he replace? And I don't think that Martin Perez would be ready by May when Oswalt goes out for the season with a back injury.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Which opinions did you mean? Those opinions of yours that are of your own creation ... or those you just plagarize verbatim from other places?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's some debate in the Rangers' front office over whether Oswalt is necessary given Texas' existing starting pitching depth, ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick tweets.

and well they should debate the necessity of it

Wonder what Crasnick thinks is "necessary" unless there is FO concern that either Darvish or Feliz are not going to be ready to go out of ST?

Would being stuck with an injured Oswalt for 2 years/$8mil be the emergency rotation fill ... when TEX has Ogando and Feldman already who could play that role.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe that MY sucks at 1st base...oh wait, we already did that and there WAS a problem as I recall. See, Scotsman, it works both ways sometimes...

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Oswalt is in the rotation ... then who does he replace? And I don't think that Martin Perez would be ready by May when Oswalt goes out for the season with a back injury.

Harrison to the BP??

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe that MY sucks at 1st base...oh wait, we already did that and there WAS a problem as I recall. See, Scotsman, it works both ways sometimes...

MY is adequate at 1st as a backup just as he is adequate at 3rd & 2nd & SS as a backup. if Moreland hadn't virtually disappeared after the All-Star break, MY and Napoli would not have seen as much regular season time at 1st.

i understand that you don't like MY and would rather that he be nailed to the far end of the bench and not see any time in the field or at the plate but he is still the most consistent bat we have and the team wants his .300+ BA and 200+ hits bat in the lineup and if that means he plays some time at 1st, 2nd, 3rd or SS in the world series Washington will continue to put him there.

the keyword when you talk about MY is he is the BACKUP for the infield positions

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texas Rangers' ownership group is officially $51,703,411 lighter in its bank accounts.

Toshimasa Shimada, with the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters front office, told Japanese media on Thursday that the club has received the Rangers' payment of $51,703,411, the posting fee that led to the signing of righthander Yu Darvish.

Fighters owner Yoshinori Okoso on Tuesday told reporters that ``the team, the city and the fans will be considered'' as the club decides what to do with the windfall. In Nippon Professoinal Baseball, the Fighters are considered a ``small market'' team.

The posting fee is the equivalent of about four billion yen, the Japanese currency.