• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just started thinking about how much our farm system and team have changed in the last few years. Our pitching staff is considered very strong and we're loaded with young pitchers with high ceilings in the farm system as well. All these talks about Garza and Oswalt got me thinking about how these guys in their current states would have been considered huge upgrades to our staffs at one point. Now I consider them marginal if an upgrade at all.

Trades from this point shouldn't be done just for the sake of a trade as I believe most of what's out there would fall into this category. At this point the mentality for trades needs to be go big or don't do it as I feel we wouldn't be getting the better end of many trades that have been suggested.

One thing that does concern me is it seems Texas may be lacking players to eventually replace the offensive production of players like Napoli, Kinsler, Hamilton, Cruz etc. as far as I know the only three prospects to consider are Olt, and to a lesser extent Martin and Profar with regards to power. It seems any trade should encourage the replenishment of offensive players in our farm system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just started thinking about how much our farm system and team have changed in the last few years. Our pitching staff is considered very strong and we're loaded with young pitchers with high ceilings in the farm system as well. All these talks about Garza and Oswalt got me thinking about how these guys in their current states would have been considered huge upgrades to our staffs at one point. Now I consider them marginal if an upgrade at all.

Trades from this point shouldn't be done just for the sake of a trade as I believe most of what's out there would fall into this category. At this point the mentality for trades needs to be go big or don't do it as I feel we wouldn't be getting the better end of many trades that have been suggested.

One thing that does concern me is it seems Texas may be lacking players to eventually replace the offensive production of players like Napoli, Kinsler, Hamilton, Cruz etc. as far as I know the only three prospects to consider are Olt, and to a lesser extent Martin and Profar with regards to power. It seems any trade should encourage the replenishment of offensive players in our farm system.

There's a young 2nd baseman named Odor that is pretty highly thought of and a catcher and outfielder named Guzman(?) that have some raw talent. There are several others who's names I can't think of right now, but I was looking at a list this am and there is some talent that probably doesn't own a razor yet that should be fun to track for the next couple of years.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a young 2nd baseman named Odor that is pretty highly thought of and a catcher and outfielder named Guzman(?) that have some raw talent. There are several others who's names I can't think of right now, but I was looking at a list this am and there is some talent that probably doesn't own a razor yet that should be fun to track for the next couple of years.

Odor is very highly though of, along with Odubel Herrera, Luis Marte and Luis Sardinas in the middle infield

Ronald Guzman (1B) and Nomar Mazara (OF) might be the guys you are referring to, there's also Jake Skole, Jordan Akins in the OF

Jorge Alfaro, Kellin Deglan, and Tomas Telis at catcher

transition guys include Leury Garcia moving from the IF to the OF, and Tommy Mendonca giving catcher a whirl after being a 3B

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odor is very highly though of, along with Odubel Herrera, Luis Marte and Luis Sardinas in the middle infield

Ronald Guzman (1B) and Nomar Mazara (OF) might be the guys you are referring to, there's also Jake Skole, Jordan Akins in the OF

Jorge Alfaro, Kellin Deglan, and Tomas Telis at catcher

transition guys include Leury Garcia moving from the IF to the OF, and Tommy Mendonca giving catcher a whirl after being a 3B

That's it. Thanks for posting.
I get a kick out of following these guys during the summer, I just can't remember names for crap. Alfaro is the catcher I was refering to.
West is another name that will be fun to follow this summer after the eye popping BB/K ratio he posted last year. It will interesting to see if he can follow up on it and take the next step.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the thread entitled Top 10 prospects by position, JTA has posted an excellent piece on several prospects that are rated on an A to C scale. I think it's pretty current and a really good read.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the thread entitled Top 10 prospects by position, JTA has posted an excellent piece on several prospects that are rated on an A to C scale. I think it's pretty current and a really good read.

I'll check it out.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Rosenthal says his sources believe Oswalt will land in Texas.

If this is true I'm not sure I believe that would be a wise choice for Texas. Who do you drop out of the rotation to make room for him? The only way I see this happening is if Texas is planning on having Feliz start in AAA and be ready to step in if someone gets hurt. That might not be a bad idea to sign Oswalt on a 1 yr deal. Frankly, starting the season with Feliz in the rotation makes me nervous. I certainly wouldn't trade anyone to make room for Oswalt though.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Rosenthal says his sources believe Oswalt will land in Texas.

If this is true I'm not sure I believe that would be a wise choice for Texas. Who do you drop out of the rotation to make room for him? The only way I see this happening is if Texas is planning on having Feliz start in AAA and be ready to step in if someone gets hurt. That might not be a bad idea to sign Oswalt on a 1 yr deal. Frankly, starting the season with Feliz in the rotation makes me nervous. I certainly wouldn't trade anyone to make room for Oswalt though.

Its been the story of the last 2 offseasons though, guys going from bullpen to rotation, and guys seem to step up, CJ and then Ogando,

if the front office and coaching staff deem him ready I'm inclined to believe them

Granted long run, i think Feliz is better suited for starting and Ogando for the bullpen,

plenty of people disagree, but based on what I read and saw last ST while Feliz was starting, Feliz could be awesome...

Ogando was what he was, good til ML hitters figured him out

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its been the story of the last 2 offseasons though, guys going from bullpen to rotation, and guys seem to step up, CJ and then Ogando,

if the front office and coaching staff deem him ready I'm inclined to believe them

Granted long run, i think Feliz is better suited for starting and Ogando for the bullpen,

plenty of people disagree, but based on what I read and saw last ST while Feliz was starting, Feliz could be awesome...

Ogando was what he was, good til ML hitters figured him out

I'm not saying its not possible. I'm just saying I could see them starting Feliz in AAA if they acquire Oswalt.

Also, I again ask if Feliz was so great as a starter in ST last year why did they elect to move Ogando to the rotation instead of Feliz? If anyone else on the team besides Feliz was closer material it's Ogando. Why was Feliz so back and forth on wanting to be a starter then closer? If you want to be a starter and then go into ST with great success as I starter I don't see someone waffling. I'm not saying the guy can't be a good or even great member of the rotation. I'm just saying you're painting a very favorable picture of him, and there's a reason they cherry picked ogando to the rotation rather than letting him take over as closer.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying its not possible. I'm just saying I could see them starting Feliz in AAA if they acquire Oswalt.

Also, I again ask if Feliz was so great as a starter in ST last year why did they elect to move Ogando to the rotation instead of Feliz? If anyone else on the team besides Feliz was closer material it's Ogando. Why was Feliz so back and forth on wanting to be a starter then closer? If you want to be a starter and then go into ST with great success as I starter I don't see someone waffling. I'm not saying the guy can't be a good or even great member of the rotation. I'm just saying you're painting a very favorable picture of him, and there's a reason they cherry picked ogando to the rotation rather than letting him take over as closer.

because Ogando had success as a starter as well in ST, and Feliz had closed before... In the end, still a mistake IMO

Better to only have a question mark as the 5th starter as opposed to a question mark at 5th starter AND closer

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals made a bid approaching $5MM on Oswalt weeks ago but that deal is not likely to happen, tweets Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Strauss predicts that the Rangers will win the bidding on Oswalt with $2-3MM more and other perks.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals made a bid approaching $5MM on Oswalt weeks ago but that deal is not likely to happen, tweets Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Strauss predicts that the Rangers will win the bidding on Oswalt with $2-3MM more and other perks.

BLAH no need for Igor and his hunchback

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BLAH no need for Igor and his hunchback

i'm happy with what we've got for starters but maybe Nolan and Jon are working a trade where Oswalt fills a need created by the trade

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oswalt and any trade he neccesitates is a mistake

i don't think that they are looking at it that way. i think they are looking at a trade to bring in someone or someones that they feel they need and that Oswalt on a one year deal fills a starter hole until Martin Perez is ready

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't think that they are looking at it that way. i think they are looking at a trade to bring in someone or someones that they feel they need and that Oswalt on a one year deal fills a starter hole until Martin Perez is ready

Obviously you must be thinking a pitcher? Matt Harrison is the name that is continued to be brought up and trading him away for anything short of a premier big leaguer would be a poor choice in my opinion.

Then again, if I am certain of anything it is that none of us know what the Rangers FO is planning.