• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't think that they are looking at it that way. i think they are looking at a trade to bring in someone or someones that they feel they need and that Oswalt on a one year deal fills a starter hole until Martin Perez is ready

Longterm it just doesn't make sense to dump already quality pitching in favor of someone like Oswalt, unless the return is young talent that won't even contribute this year, or a 1B, where I don't even see many quality 1B on the market right now

Trading for a CF seems counterproductive if you believe Martin is the answer as his bat doen't really project to a COF spot

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Longterm it just doesn't make sense to dump already quality pitching in favor of someone like Oswalt, unless the return is young talent that won't even contribute this year, or a 1B, where I don't even see many quality 1B on the market right now

Trading for a CF seems counterproductive if you believe Martin is the answer as his bat doen't really project to a COF spot

He swears Martin will be moved to a corner OF spot. That would be a mistake in my opinion.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you must be thinking a pitcher? Matt Harrison is the name that is continued to be brought up and trading him away for anything short of a premier big leaguer would be a poor choice in my opinion.

Then again, if I am certain of anything it is that none of us know what the Rangers FO is planning.

i think we're looking at 2 positions that are considered our weakest spots, 1st base & CF, at present. if we pulled off trades for quality starters in those positions it would cost us someone like Harrison and others possibly including Murphy & Moreland.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we're looking at 2 positions that are considered our weakest spots, 1st base & CF, at present. if we pulled off trades for quality starters in those positions it would cost us someone like Harrison and others possibly including Murphy & Moreland.

And I don't believe those weaknesses as you call them are deficient enough to warrant giving up a young quality starter.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pulling off a trade for a CF still blocks Martin and I don't see any quality 1B being offered up by anyone

I just don't see where the value is, unless you deal Martin as well and get a CF, and don't even say Adam Jones, that guy is not very good, especially defensively and he doesn't walk

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pulling off a trade for a CF still blocks Martin and I don't see any quality 1B being offered up by anyone

I just don't see where the value is, unless you deal Martin as well and get a CF, and don't even say Adam Jones, that guy is not very good, especially defensively and he doesn't walk

He wants McCutchen and move Martin to a corner OF spot. What he doesn't understand is this isn't fantasy baseball.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wants McCutchen and move Martin to a corner OF spot. What he doesn't understand is this isn't fantasy baseball.

Plus I think the Pirates finally have a GM that realizes that its good to keep young talent around and develop them

McCutcheon is the kind of player they should want to hold on to

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He swears Martin will be moved to a corner OF spot. That would be a mistake in my opinion.

i didn't swear anything of the kind. i said that he was capable of playing any outfield position. i am not locking him into any position.

what you do with him if the Rangers signed Soler? he's rated as a better CF'er than Martin or Cespedes and the Rangers are supposedly hotly pursuing him.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus I think the Pirates finally have a GM that realizes that its good to keep young talent around and develop them

McCutcheon is the kind of player they should want to hold on to

i only suggested him as an example please don't do this. am i not allowed to suggest possible scenarios?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i do not want McCutcheon. i broached a thought that the Rangers might look to get CF'er that would keep Hamilton locked in LF. i suggested a couple of possible targets and now i'm being crucified for it.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i didn't swear anything of the kind. i said that he was capable of playing any outfield position. i am not locking him into any position.

what you do with him if the Rangers signed Soler? he's rated as a better CF'er than Martin or Cespedes and the Rangers are supposedly hotly pursuing him.

Difference is that Soler projects as a power bat, and longterm he projects as a corner guy as he fills out

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
never said anything of the kind, am I not allowed to see fallacy in these thoughts?

well it seems that you and romeo have decided to suddenly attack any possible scenario i have suggested.

i don't think we need Oswalt but maybe Nolan & Jon think otherwise

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well it seems that you and romeo have decided to suddenly attack any possible scenario i have suggested.

i don't think we need Oswalt but maybe Nolan & Jon think otherwise

I haven't attacked any thought, just disagreed, don't think I've been rude in th slightest,

One day you'll realize that disagreeing is not always attacking

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would like to keep harrison if we can....future rotation could be darvish,holland,feliz,harrison and perez in a couple of years with all of them being under 28

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't think that they are looking at it that way. i think they are looking at a trade to bring in someone or someones that they feel they need and that Oswalt on a one year deal fills a starter hole until Martin Perez is ready

I'm not a big Harrison fan, but to trade him off because you picked up a guy like Oswalt for a year doesn't make much sense. I'd rather hold on to what we have and when and if Perez is ready to make a move put him in a position that says he has to be better to earn somebody's spot rather than just chunk him in there because we created a vacancy in advance.

And why trade away talent to fill the CF position for a short period of time when they have already invested 15 million in Martin with designs on him being the centerfielder of the future?

And what are the chances of finding someone who can play the position better than Gentry? Pretty slim I'd think.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't attacked any thought, just disagreed, don't think I've been rude in th slightest,

One day you'll realize that disagreeing is not always attacking

This. I just disagree with the concept of making moves just for a marginal upgrade.