• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One AL East GM thinks that the Prince Fielder sweepstakes will come down to the Rangers and Nationals, with the Brewers and Cubs taking a shot if he settles for a one-year deal and elects to become a free agent again.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could this solve our CF issue:

After taking care of their first base vacancy, the Rays can now accelerate a deal for B.J. Upton to get a shortstop. Currently, Sean Rodriguez is slated to play there over Reid Brignac. Tampa Bay could also use an everyday catcher, with Jose Molina currently slated to start.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Ranger brass has developed a reputation as an industrious and innovative group under Jon Daniels, and assistant general manager Thad Levine isn't willing to count the club out entirely.

"I will just tell you that Jon Daniels is an amazingly creative general manager," Levine said on MLB Network Radio when asked about the club's financial flexibility. "We are aware of acquisition costs of almost every player who’s on the market, including the guys who are still out there. There are active discussions internally to see if there’s any ways we can improve the team, and we’re always abreast of those."

One potentially creative way the Rangers could entice Fielder is with a escape clause, similar to the one the Yankees gave to Cy Young winner CC Sabathia back in 2009. In that scenario, the club could sign Fielder to a five- or six-year contract, giving him a chance to opt out of the deal after three years and re-enter the free agent market at 30.

It's not exactly the 10-year contract Fielder envisioned himself signing back in October, but with his options dwindling, it might become an attractive option unless a surprise club swoops in with a big offer.

But until then, the Rangers are keeping hope alive.

"Handicapping it, I’d say it’s unlikely," Levine said of signing Fielder. "But it won’t be for a lack of creativity in discussion and exploring internal options to make that happen."

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
but no one is talking about making MY anything more than what he's used for: primarily as a DH with occasional appearances at 1B, 2B, 3B and even SS. it was never intended that he spend an extended time at any of those positions but with Moreland's lack of performance during the 2nd half of the regular season and the playoffs he got used more than intended. you don't sit a .300+, 200+ hit regular-season player during the playoffs but you would because of your dislike for him

Doubt we ever see MY at any place other than a couple of spot starts at 3b going forward ... unless it's in a NL park and Moreland has struggled he might get some 1b play which would be dangerous if he doesn't play there couple of times a week.

His current deal ... is his last deal.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know its a longshot but with the market for prince not being very strong apparently wonder if the rangers could just say here is a 1 year deal for 25 mil?????and we will see how it looks next year

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know its a longshot but with the market for prince not being very strong apparently wonder if the rangers could just say here is a 1 year deal for 25 mil?????and we will see how it looks next year

very possible

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
# There's now "something close to a final four" for Fielder, tweets Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.
# The Rangers' management team is in the Dominican Republic for the next week, so it's doubtful the team will sign Fielder in the near future, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News tweets.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Boras is still waiting around after this week that's a pretty good sign he's trying to get Texas to come around. That's great news if Texas really is even moderately interested then maybe they can get Boras playing on their terms. Maybe even a 1yr deal might temp him as the market did not develop for Boras as he had hoped. Would be perfect for Texas.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Boras is still waiting around after this week that's a pretty good sign he's trying to get Texas to come around. That's great news if Texas really is even moderately interested then maybe they can get Boras playing on their terms. Maybe even a 1yr deal might temp him as the market did not develop for Boras as he had hoped. Would be perfect for Texas.

Fielder wants Texas or they would have already signed with Washington or one of the others. and i don't buy all the press that says different that the Rangers aren't very interested in Fielder.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nationals are a finalist for Fielder, Bob Nightengale of USA Today tweets. The Rangers and at least one other club are still in the running for him.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nationals are a finalist for Fielder, Bob Nightengale of USA Today tweets. The Rangers and at least one other club are still in the running for him.

Has anybody actually made an offer?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One GM told Rosenthal that the Rangers are in on Fielder "hard," though others say the Rangers won't go heavy on years (Twitter link).

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder wants Texas or they would have already signed with Washington or one of the others. and i don't buy all the press that says different that the Rangers aren't very interested in Fielder.

How can anybody have an upper hand anywhere if all they are doing is talking? Sounds like the people doing the tweeting don't even know who Boras is actually talking to.
Whatever happend to Seattle? Have they lost interest or been told that Fielder isn't interested?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knobler indicates that Oswalt has turned the Tigers down even though they were very interested in signing him (Twitter links). They even had Justin Verlander make a recruiting call. He says the Tigers are likely to leave the fifth starter's job up for grabs in Spring Training.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't seem likely that a new suitor for the powerful free agent first baseman will emerge if Boras continues waiting, since the sale of the Dodgers won't be completed on time to convince the new ownership group of Fielder's value. We're left with rumors linking Fielder to the Nationals, Rangers, Mariners, Dodgers, Cubs and Orioles, but not much certainty.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The toughest pill that Hamilton will have to swallow could be yet to come, writes the Chicago Tribune's Phil Rogers . Because, if Texas can free up enough cash for Prince Fielder, Hamilton might get the cold shoulder from his current club in free agency.

"Rangers fans love Hamilton and their feelings for him grew even stronger as he endured the tragedy of firefighter Shannon Stone dying in a fall after Hamilton tossed him a baseball," Rogers wrote. "But [Rangers GM Jon] Daniels isn't known for his sentimentality, and he's focused on the Rangers' long-term interest."

And Rogers says the best thing for the Rangers would be having a younger, healthier slugger on the roster. It could allow the club to let Hamilton walk as a free agent next offseason without leaving a gaping hole in the lineup. At the very least, it would give the Rangers a little more leverage.

Rogers suggests offering Hamilton a four-year contract worth $15 million a season -- a deal that Hamilton may not be able to beat, based on his age and injury history.

"The Rangers should do what it takes to get a Fielder deal with agent Scott Boras," Rogers wrote. "Fielder and Hamilton could chase a championship together in 2012, with Fielder's presence ultimately allowing Hamilton to explore the free-agent market without sending his club into crisis mode. ... Hamilton might decide he likes his comfort level in Texas. But the reality is with Fielder aboard, the Rangers wouldn't be nearly as dependent on him."

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's one or the other I'd much rather keep Hambone. I hope He's a Ranger until he retires. That's the fan in me talking, not the wannabe GM.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's one or the other I'd much rather keep Hambone. I hope He's a Ranger until he retires. That's the fan in me talking, not the wannabe GM.

I think we all have two sides (head and heart) fighting over the right answer. JD has some tough decisions ahead of him.