• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what would you have done if they had traded him? who would have been your DH? who would have been your supersub utility player? and who would you have signed to replaced the .300+ avg, 200+ hits we would have lost by trading him?

you dislike MY so much that you are willing to sacrifice team performance and standing just to get him off the team.

Slow down, Scotsman. See, this is where we get sideways with each other. I never said jack about a trade then or now. It would have never happened and I said so back in ST. Talking about what anybody would have done trade wise back then is useless anyhow.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. His contract made a trade impossible to consider. If not for the contract I believe he would have been traded.

funny Colorado was already to pull the trigger when Texas changed their mind about the trade of MY. you say it isn't hate but you want him gone so bad that you don't care how it would affect the team's performance or place n the standings.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9:20pm: Bob Simpson, a principal owner of the Rangers, said that the club is operating at a deficit and will until the new TV contract starts in 2015, but that doesn't automatically mean that Prince Fielder is not an option, writes Jeff Wilson of the Star-Telegram.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
9:20pm: Bob Simpson, a principal owner of the Rangers, said that the club is operating at a deficit and will until the new TV contract starts in 2015, but that doesn't automatically mean that Prince Fielder is not an option, writes Jeff Wilson of the Star-Telegram.

The strategy is so obvious. The team is top down saying the same things they said to try and throw other teams off of the Darvish bidding process. This time they are trying to convince Fielder to come to the table. Not sure if it works for a Boras client, but I also don't see the market for the 8 year deal for Fielder.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You guys have written a lot of stuff today I got to digest this weekend ... going into the regular season I think the formatting of SportsHoopla is going to drive us nuts ... takes up lots of space I don't have on my screen.

Anyway ... was thinking about the 13 position player spots on the roster ... and things are going to get tight IMO for Murphy. Here's how I see it ... given the current manpower.

1. UIF TBD
2. Napoli
3. Torrealba
4. Moreland
5. Kinsler
6. Beltre
7. Andrus
8. Young
9. Hamilton
10. Cruz
11. Gentry
12. Martin

13 ........ Murphy (or more and more potentially NOT)

If Martin makes the roster to platoon with Gentry principally ... and back up Cruz ... and if Brad Hawpe comes in and has a hot ST and Murphy has his standard cold start ... does Hawpe capable of 1b and OF get the #13 spot bumping Murphy?

Certainly Hawpe was signed to be a place holder in case TEX does not sign Fielder in order to backup Moreland (and keep Young off the diamond). If TEX signs Fielder then Murphy's only hope is that TEX elects to depend on its primary catcher (Napoli) and poor fielding Young as 1b backups.

If Hawpe has a hot spring ... then I think Murphy may be toast.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny Colorado was already to pull the trigger when Texas changed their mind about the trade of MY. you say it isn't hate but you want him gone so bad that you don't care how it would affect the team's performance or place n the standings.

Get the facts straight. Colorado was ready to trade providing Texas ate a big portion of Young's contract, which wasn't going to happen. He was never close to being traded.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys have written a lot of stuff today I got to digest this weekend ... going into the regular season I think the formatting of SportsHoopla is going to drive us nuts ... takes up lots of space I don't have on my screen.

Anyway ... was thinking about the 13 position player spots on the roster ... and things are going to get tight IMO for Murphy. Here's how I see it ... given the current manpower.

1. UIF TBD
2. Napoli
3. Torrealba
4. Moreland
5. Kinsler
6. Beltre
7. Andrus
8. Young
9. Hamilton
10. Cruz
11. Gentry
12. Martin

If Martin makes the roster to platoon with Gentry principally ... and back up Cruz ... and if Brad Hawpe comes in and has a hot ST and Murphy has his standard cold start ... does Hawpe capable of 1b and OF get the #13 spot bumping Murphy?

Certainly Hawpe was signed to be a place holder in case TEX does not sign Fielder in order to backup Moreland (and keep Young off the diamond). If TEX signs Fielder then Murphy's only hope is that TEX elects to depend on its primary catcher (Napoli) and poor fielding Young as 1b backups.

Murphy would be my trade candidate, also. His saving grace may be that if Gentry and Martin's bats become such line up black holes that it requires Josh to play CF more often.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. UIF TBD
2. Napoli
3. Torrealba
4. Moreland
5. Kinsler
6. Beltre
7. Andrus
8. Young
9. Hamilton
10. Cruz
11. Gentry
12. Martin

i doubt Hawpe sees any major time on the Rangers roster this coming season no matter what the Rangers do at 1st.

if they sign Fielder, then, like i said earlier, he will play 145-150 games at 1st with MY and Napoli covering the other 12-17 games. MY will DH around 135-140 games, covering 1st, 2nd, 3rd & SS the other 22-27 games to give Fielder, Kinsler, Beltre & Andrus the occasional day off. Napoli will catch at least 120-130 games, barring injury, with Torrelba catching the rest. Gentry & Martin will split playing time in CF covering up to 150-155 games with Hamilton playing 7-12 games there. Murphy will play LF/RF in at least 35-45 games.
if they don't sign Fielder, then Moreland is the primary 1st Baseman seeing action in any where from 90 to 130 games depending on how he performs. if he performs like he did pre-All-Star game last year thru out the season then he will see a majority of the playing time with MY and Napoli maybe seeing approximately 40 games there. if we see him collapse after the All-Star game like he did lasy year his playing time will go down

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawpe is just insurance in case Moreland isn't ready or bombs out, its a minor league deal and nothing to get excited about, the guys career had fallen off the BEFORE he left the Coors Field launching pad, I see Brandon Snyder as a much more appealing option than Hawpe

C: Napoli
1B: Moreland
2B: Kinsler
3B: Beltre
SS: Andrus
LF: Hamilton
CF: Gentry
RF: Cruz
DH: Young
Bench: Torrealba, Murphy, Borbon, TBD UIF

I see Borbon as more likely b/c I would assume they want Martin playing everyday and working on his deficiencies against lesser competition before throwing him to the wolves...

At this point you don't worry about Borbon's development b/c you've seen what he offers and I'd still like to see Gentry against most RHPs, and let Borbon play against the especially tough RHPs, so it wouldn't be a strict platoon

Pitchers:
SP: Holland, Harrison, Darvish, Lewis, Feliz
BP: Feldman, Ogando, Adams, Nathan, Uehara, Tateyama/Lowe, Gonzalez (re-sign) or Kirkman (vomit)

Feliz starts either in the MLs or AAA, if it is determined he's not ready you roll with Ogando, thats the only mystery of the SPs

In the bullpen, its a decision between Lowe and Tateyama (Lowe is better but Tateyama offers a unique look), and who's the LOOGY, Gonzalez or Kirkman

And if Feliz starts in AAA and Ogando moves to the rotation, that opens up a spot for Lowe

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN MLB Rangers co-owner would rather keep Josh Hamilton than sign Prince Fielder

Interesting article about how one of the owners would rather re-sign Josh than sign Fielder. He makes it sound as if the two are mutually exclusive and that while they're happy to have made a move in getting Darvish they still want to stay reasonable regarding spending. Hard to say if he's bring honest or if it's just lip service, but it's fairly convincing.

I can't say I disagree as long as Josh is reasonable with his expectations. He shouldn't expect to get the same 5 year contract we would give to Fielder.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hawpe is just insurance in case Moreland isn't ready or bombs out, its a minor league deal and nothing to get excited about, the guys career had fallen off the BEFORE he left the Coors Field launching pad, I see Brandon Snyder as a much more appealing option than Hawpe

C: Napoli
1B: Moreland
2B: Kinsler
3B: Beltre
SS: Andrus
LF: Hamilton
CF: Gentry
RF: Cruz
DH: Young
Bench: Torrealba, Murphy, Borbon, TBD UIF

I see Borbon as more likely b/c I would assume they want Martin playing everyday and working on his deficiencies against lesser competition before throwing him to the wolves...

At this point you don't worry about Borbon's development b/c you've seen what he offers and I'd still like to see Gentry against most RHPs, and let Borbon play against the especially tough RHPs, so it wouldn't be a strict platoon

Pitchers:
SP: Holland, Harrison, Darvish, Lewis, Feliz
BP: Feldman, Ogando, Adams, Nathan, Uehara, Tateyama/Lowe, Gonzalez (re-sign) or Kirkman (vomit)

Feliz starts either in the MLs or AAA, if it is determined he's not ready you roll with Ogando, thats the only mystery of the SPs

In the bullpen, its a decision between Lowe and Tateyama (Lowe is better but Tateyama offers a unique look), and who's the LOOGY, Gonzalez or Kirkman

And if Feliz starts in AAA and Ogando moves to the rotation, that opens up a spot for Lowe

JTA ... Thinking about it believe you are right about Gentry/borbon in a weighted platoon ... letting Martin work up to getting on speed in AAA. Whole lot easier to move guys in the middle of the season when they are hot than from a cold start in spring. (Leastwise past young guys have really had cold starts after hot mid season promotions).

Murphy is bait I think. But if the OF is as you say with Martin at AAA ... as soon as Martin gets hot ... think we can color Borbon and Murphy gone. That will leave them with an OF of Hamilton, Cruz, Gentry, Martin ... and opens a spot for Olt. Would be nice having a real 3rd baseman to backup Beltre and if he gets the work at 1b too in ST as planned ... then imagine the tandem of Moreland and Olt ... especially if Moreland recovers from his surgery and gets hot too.

In any case ... a MLB-ready Martin spells depature for Borbon and Murphy and makes room for Olt. So it is important to give Martin concentrated time during the first half in AAA.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i doubt Hawpe sees any major time on the Rangers roster this coming season no matter what the Rangers do at 1st.

if they sign Fielder, then, like i said earlier, he will play 145-150 games at 1st with MY and Napoli covering the other 12-17 games. MY will DH around 135-140 games, covering 1st, 2nd, 3rd & SS the other 22-27 games to give Fielder, Kinsler, Beltre & Andrus the occasional day off. Napoli will catch at least 120-130 games, barring injury, with Torrelba catching the rest. Gentry & Martin will split playing time in CF covering up to 150-155 games with Hamilton playing 7-12 games there. Murphy will play LF/RF in at least 35-45 games.
if they don't sign Fielder, then Moreland is the primary 1st Baseman seeing action in any where from 90 to 130 games depending on how he performs. if he performs like he did pre-All-Star game last year thru out the season then he will see a majority of the playing time with MY and Napoli maybe seeing approximately 40 games there. if we see him collapse after the All-Star game like he did lasy year his playing time will go down

Could be Scotty ... know Hawpe's deal was just as a marker although TEX had already signed Nelson and acquired Snyder ... so it is clear while management says Moreland plays 1b ... there is lot of insurance money being spent.

You didn't mention it ... but wonder if this is potentially Cruz last year. TEX is not at all strong in OF talent other than Martin ... and a much lesser extent Beltre (watched him at Frisco and North Little Rock last year and he didn't really impress me that much). Anyway Martin bumps Borbon and maybe makes Murphy replaceable too ... but now that I posted that on the previous post to JTA ... if TEX OF consists of Hamilton, Cruz, Gentry, and Martin we could all wake up one morning with Hamilton out after running into a wall and Cruz going out with his semi annual hamstring.

So ... maybe Murphy stays and Cruz gets moved for talent? Dunno. But Brad Haupe was signed for a reason unless he is to be given the 2012 Ryan Garko memorial clubhouse locker. In which case there is going to be a heck of a competition for 1b down at AAA. Maybe Snyder does win that duel.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

May be Lowe's only shot too. Ogando asleep in bed at home and giving him 15 minutes to get to the ballpark is a better RP option than Lowe ... so no need for them both in the same 7man package.

I like Tateyama for a couple of reasons ... but if we assume that he wasn't here and ODay was here ... there is no way that TEX keeps Lowe over ODay. I see the same thing happening with Tateyama.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JTA ... Thinking about it believe you are right about Gentry/borbon in a weighted platoon ... letting Martin work up to getting on speed in AAA. Whole lot easier to move guys in the middle of the season when they are hot than from a cold start in spring. (Leastwise past young guys have really had cold starts after hot mid season promotions).

Murphy is bait I think. But if the OF is as you say with Martin at AAA ... as soon as Martin gets hot ... think we can color Borbon and Murphy gone. That will leave them with an OF of Hamilton, Cruz, Gentry, Martin ... and opens a spot for Olt. Would be nice having a real 3rd baseman to backup Beltre and if he gets the work at 1b too in ST as planned ... then imagine the tandem of Moreland and Olt ... especially if Moreland recovers from his surgery and gets hot too.

In any case ... a MLB-ready Martin spells depature for Borbon and Murphy and makes room for Olt. So it is important to give Martin concentrated time during the first half in AAA.

Thats just the way I see it, as much as people might hate Borbon, but he is capable of hitting his weight, stealing bases and playing a solid CF (minus the arm), and thats all you can really expect from your CF

Martin has a chance to be superior in every way, but no sense in hurting his development over half a season of Borbon playing part-time

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats just the way I see it, as much as people might hate Borbon, but he is capable of hitting his weight, stealing bases and playing a solid CF (minus the arm), and thats all you can really expect from your CF

Martin has a chance to be superior in every way, but no sense in hurting his development over half a season of Borbon playing part-time

we need someone who can play center, steal bases and hit better than .195

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers assistant GM Thad Levine acknowledged that there are "active discussions internally" about improving the team when speaking with Todd Hollandsworth and Jim Memolo on MLB Network Radio (mp3 link), but it's unlikely the Rangers will make another significant move. "It won't be from a lack of creativity," he said.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ESPN MLB Rangers co-owner would rather keep Josh Hamilton than sign Prince Fielder

Interesting article about how one of the owners would rather re-sign Josh than sign Fielder. He makes it sound as if the two are mutually exclusive and that while they're happy to have made a move in getting Darvish they still want to stay reasonable regarding spending. Hard to say if he's bring honest or if it's just lip service, but it's fairly convincing.

I can't say I disagree as long as Josh is reasonable with his expectations. He shouldn't expect to get the same 5 year contract we would give to Fielder.

For Simpsom to go public with that seems odd, unless he wants Fielder real bad and is trying his best to drive the price down and get the deal done as soon as possible.