• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
because the 52 million isnt part of payroll,just like the centerfield remodeling...see the ones who count the posting fee are doing it wrong :)

Read this on Joey's post in BBTIA this morning:

● The $51.7 million posting fee is now payable in full to Hokkaido within five business days, but will be evenly apportioned such that only $8.6 million will count against the team's payroll during each of the six seasons that Darvish is expected to be under contract;

So guess the posting fee does count against salary ... (for those of us who didn't think it did)

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

● The $51.7 million posting fee is now payable in full to Hokkaido within five business days, but will be evenly apportioned such that only $8.6 million will count against the team's payroll during each of the six seasons that Darvish is expected to be under contract;

So guess the posting fee does count against salary ... (for those of us who didn't think it did)

Posted the same thing earlier, but it was info from Evan Grant's blog, everything I've read elsewhere says other wise

So unless they changed the rule recently thats bogus information provided by Grant, big shocker there

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers want Prince Fielder to go along with Yu Darvish, but are wary of saying so publicly, Bob Nightengale of USA Today writes. Though they don’t want to offer an Albert Pujols-like $240MM deal, they’d like to sign Fielder, the top free agent remaining.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It could be that the club or Evan is talking about an accounting procedure..a way to write down a debit. Can't find anything anywhere that says the posting fee counts as payroll.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be that the club or Evan is talking about an accounting procedure..a way to write down a debit. Can't find anything anywhere that says the posting fee counts as payroll.

I think it's more of a tax issue.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Rangers want Prince Fielder to go along with Yu Darvish, but are wary of saying so publicly, Bob Nightengale of USA Today writes. Though they don’t want to offer an Albert Pujols-like $240MM deal, they’d like to sign Fielder, the top free agent remaining.

You could tell they were dancing around it in the presser yesterday. He's a Ranger by this time next week.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If so I have a feeling that means josh will not be Ranger after next year. It kind of saddens me to say that, but that may be what's best for the club. Martin will be ready soon, and Mitch can play a corner OF position fairly well. The only way I see josh staying is if he gets much more reasonable than is being reported. The difference in number of games played the last two seasons is what stands out to me.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the Rangers get Fielder, here's how their lineup would look against the '27 Yankees:

Code:
Pos Player         Avg    HR  RBI        Pos Player          Avg   HR  RBI                       
C   Pat Collins    .275    7   36        C   Mike Napoli    .320   30   75
1B  Lou Gehrig     .373   47  175        1B  Prince Fielder .299   38  120 
2B  Tony Lazzeri.  .309   18  102        2B  Ian Kinsler    .255   32   77
3B  Joe Duggan     .269    2   43        3B  Adrian Beltre  .296   32  105
SS  Mark Koenig    .285    3   62        SS  Elvis Andrus   .279    5   60
OF  Earl Combs     .356    6   64        OF  David Murphy   .275   11   46 
OF  Babe Ruth      .356   60  164        OF  Josh Hamilton  .298   25   94 
OF  Bob Meusel     .337    8  103        OF  Nelson Cruz    .263   29   87
DH  J. Grabowski   .277    0   25        DH  Michael Young  .338   11  106

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If so I have a feeling that means josh will not be Ranger after next year. It kind of saddens me to say that, but that may be what's best for the club. Martin will be ready soon, and Mitch can play a corner OF position fairly well. The only way I see josh staying is if he gets much more reasonable than is being reported. The difference in number of games played the last two seasons is what stands out to me.

and i think that's what will happen, he and the Rangers will reach a more reasonable agreement

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i think that's what will happen, he and the Rangers will reach a more reasonable agreement

I think Josh looks at himself through rose colored glasses, and has far too high of an opinion of himself

He has to come to the realization in that he's not going to get more than 4 years bc he's a bad investment and no one wants to be tied to him for that long (or at the very least the team has to be given a team option to get out of the deal after 3 years)

and he also has to realize that any deal is going to be heavily tied to playing time incentives, bonuses for 120 games played, then 130, 140, and 150

I'd be comfortable with mostly playing time incentives mostly b/c I believe if he actually plays he'll perform

I wouldn't go more than 3 years 24 million guaranteed, with as much money tied up in incentives as was allowed by the MLBPA and MLB,

If Hamilton was allowed to earn 15 million in incentives per year then I would let him do it, b/c if Hamilton was actually earning 15 million in incentives then it's still a good deal at around 23 million per year, but if he doesn't he still pockets at least 8 million guaranteed

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh... look at Darvish's contract breakdown.....

2012: $5.5 million

2013: $9.5 million

2014: $10 million

2015: $10 million

2016: $10 million

2017: $11 million

Read more here: Foul Territory: Yu Darvish contract year-by-year breakdown

Very comfortable with those numbers

Also some clarification on the posting fee: "The prorated portion of the posting fee does not count towards the team's official payroll, and will not count against the luxury tax ... but per Evan Grant and per Jon Daniels himself, a straight-line apportionment of the posting fee over the six-year life of the deal is how the team is approaching that $51.7 million lump sum from an accounting standpoint."

So its an accounting issue but not a payroll issue, so therefore not relevant in relation to the luxury tax

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure what reasonable is, but he is going to get his money here or from another team. Injuries aside, he's still a special talent and somebody will pay big time for his services in spite of the possible down time. It will be a sad day to see him in another team uniform.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what reasonable is, but he is going to get his money here or from another team. Injuries aside, he's still a special talent and somebody will pay big time for his services in spite of the possible down time. It will be a sad day to see him in another team uniform.

I think you may be right about josh getting his money one way or the other. But that doesn't mean JD is going to give it to him. I guess what I'm thinking by reasonable is a contract with performance incentives and opt out clauses so josh can still get his money if he earns it, but Texas isn't on the hook for the whole thing if he misses an entire season.

There's an interesting article on the Rangers ESPN blog about whether signing Prince means saying goodbye to josh. The writer basically says he's not sure that prince isn't the better investment (based on games played) while Josh is very important to the club, if you think JD couldn't bear to part ways with Josh think again. He's still a business man and a damn good one at that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you may be right about josh getting his money one way or the other. But that doesn't mean JD is going to give it to him. I guess what I'm thinking by reasonable is a contract with performance incentives and opt out clauses so josh can still get his money if he earns it, but Texas isn't on the hook for the whole thing if he misses an entire season.

There's an interesting article on the Rangers ESPN blog about whether signing Prince means saying goodbye to josh. The writer basically says he's not sure that prince isn't the better investment (based on games played) while Josh is very important to the club, if you think JD couldn't bear to part ways with Josh think again. He's still a business man and a damn good one at that.

Yeah, there was an interesting article in todays paper about what mistake it would be let Josh get away. There's a good case to be made either way.
I've already accepted that Josh is probably gone. I'm getting a CJ Wilson kind of feeling already. All this talk about not negotiating during the season sounds familiar. I'd be willing to bet a quarter that Josh will go elsewhere and get a minimum of 4 yrs @ 60 million guaranteed with no incentives.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there was an interesting article in todays paper about what mistake it would be let Josh get away. There's a good case to be made either way.
I've already accepted that Josh is probably gone. I'm getting a CJ Wilson kind of feeling already. All this talk about not negotiating during the season sounds familiar. I'd be willing to bet a quarter that Josh will go elsewhere and get a minimum of 4 yrs @ 60 million guaranteed with no incentives.

I doubt the rangers wouldn't at least match a contract like that.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nolan basically all but admitted that they want Fielder. If he ends up not getting an 8 year offer then he's a Ranger.