• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Doesn't change the fact that Kirkman has no place on a ML roster, unless he somehow gets it together and is lights out in ST, which I doubt, but he has been year to year, good and bad, so it is possible

Think that goes for about 500 other guys over the past two seasons too.

My brain has not been on TEX past couple of weeks ... so I really blew my RP package posted earlier. I forgot about Feldman.

So here is what I think the opening day bullpen looks like ...

With Feliz in the rotation:

Nathan, Adams, Uehara, Ogando, Feldman, Gonzalez?, and #2LHP or Tateyama or Lowe

With Ogando in the rotation and Feliz at AAA to start the season:

Nathan, Adams, Uehara, Feldman, Gonzalez, Tateyama, and #2LHP or Lowe

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving forward from this awesome news I've been thinking about what this means for the rotation. Provided everyone stays healthy coming out of spring training (this would be nice) it seems the club has already chosen to move ogando to the pen provided Feliz is showing good in spring training as well. It doesn't seem fair that Ogando is relegated to the pen after such a stellar first half last year, but someone is going to have to take that bullet and Ogando is an absolutely dominant reliever. Adding him to the pen makes an already strong bullpen absolutely beastly. Check these names out.

Starting Rotation:
Colbra
Holland
Darvish
Harrison
Feliz

Bullpen:
Nathan
Ogando
Adams
Lowe
Uehara
Gonzalez (assuming they sign him)
Kirkman (LOOGY)
Feldman

The rotation is solid, and if Colby comes back stronger when he's healthy, holland is as good as he was down the stretch last year, Darvish makes a smooth transition this rotation could be nasty. However, that bullpen is nasty and light years ahead of the bullpen that broke camp last year. Ogando's addition goes a long way to add something to that pen.

that's a 14 man pitching staff leaving the Rangers only 2 bench players. not going to happen

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so that is one player helping the mariners so if we have a big jump like seattle then the 52 mil is covered in one year.....we shall see

There is a question and answer session with Evan Grant in the Dallas Morning News today that addresses the subject of recouping investments through merchandising. Grant says that if they are able to recoup any of the 18 million a year investment that it will be minimal. Maybe a million a year. MLB International gets all the revenue from international broadcasting rights and MLB gets all revenue from merchandise sales. Those revenues are then split among the 30 MLB teams.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it took 52 million for the nippon club to allow us to talk to him,it took 60 mil to sign him

The $51.7 million posting fee is now payable in full to Hokkaido within five business days, but will be evenly apportioned such that only $8.6 million will count against the team's payroll during each of the six seasons that Darvish is expected to be under contract

So the posting fee DOES count against payroll, just evenly distributed, so Darvish's payroll hit will end up being right around 18 million per year on average, before any bonuses are factored in

So in essence, from the Rangers persepctive it has to be viewed as a 6 year 111.7 million dollar contract at bare minimum

Also this sixth-year player option can reportedly only be triggered by "multiple elite-level finishes [in the Cy Young balloting]," meaning that in order for Darvish to acquire the ability to opt out of his deal after five years, he would need to pitch at a very-to-exceptionally high level over the course of those five years.... so basically its a 6 year deal unless Darvish is flat out awesome

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we all just take a moment to laugh at CJ out loud. He made some smart ass comment about Texas' tv contract money having not come in when they didn't make a push to sign him. No you arrogant douche. They have the money to spend. You're just not worth it. Texas thought so little of you that they let you go to our division rivals.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt that with the heavy Asian population in the Northwest Ichiro added to Seattle's bottom line. How much is a guesstimate. The Mariners were enjoying the playoffs in 2000 and winning 116 games in 2001 and that also had to have an impact on the bottom line. I've already showed you were 21 million was added to a bankrupt teams bottom line just from one playoff year.
However, you're comparing what Ichiro did in Seattle to what Darvish might do in Texas. 52 million in one year attributed to one player's contribution? No way. If so, then there is no way in hell they shouldn't sign Fielder AND Hamilton.

i believe they can sign fielder and hamilton,we are not a small market team like we have been ran in the past......and we will just wait and see but i believe darvish will give the rangers a very big uptick in revenue,the dude is a rockstar
over there.....we shall see

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a question and answer session with Evan Grant in the Dallas Morning News today that addresses the subject of recouping investments through merchandising. Grant says that if they are able to recoup any of the 18 million a year investment that it will be minimal. Maybe a million a year. MLB International gets all the revenue from international broadcasting rights and MLB gets all revenue from merchandise sales. Those revenues are then split among the 30 MLB teams.

see thats the answer i needed to my merchandise question....oh well then

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The $51.7 million posting fee is now payable in full to Hokkaido within five business days, but will be evenly apportioned such that only $8.6 million will count against the team's payroll during each of the six seasons that Darvish is expected to be under contract

So the posting fee DOES count against payroll, just evenly distributed, so Darvish's payroll hit will end up being right around 18 million per year on average, before any bonuses are factored in

So in essence, from the Rangers persepctive it has to be viewed as a 6 year 111.7 million dollar contract at bare minimum

Also this sixth-year player option can reportedly only be triggered by "multiple elite-level finishes [in the Cy Young balloting]," meaning that in order for Darvish to acquire the ability to opt out of his deal after five years, he would need to pitch at a very-to-exceptionally high level over the course of those five years.... so basically its a 6 year deal unless Darvish is flat out awesome

well jesus the news gets worse......werent they saying how they were going to count it as outside of payroll expense or was that speculation

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Where did you hear this? Has this changed recently, as in the last couple of years? I am 99.9% certain that the posting fee does not count against the teams payroll and is exempt from calculation towards the luxury tax.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did you hear this? Has this changed recently, as in the last couple of years? I am 99.9% certain that the posting fee does not count against the teams payroll and is exempt from calculation towards the luxury tax.

thats what i thought.......reading on all this posting fee stuff during the build up--teams can look at it as payroll or they can look at it as an outside of operations expense......i thought the rangers said they would look at it as the latter but they might have switched and look at it as payroll(wont officially be towards luxury tax????)

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Analysis: Prince Fielder lurking on Texas Rangers' agenda

$25 million/yr for Hamilton? Lets hope Hamilton doesnt read this article... haha

Haha. 25m/yr for injury prone "I've never played a full season in my major league career" Hamilton. I'll tell him to go jump in a lake for that kind of talk. Josh would be very fortunate to get a 5yr 80m deal with his injury history and sordid past.

This guy clearly doesn't know shit. He makes a comment that the rangers had 4 starters with 10+ wins last season. No dumbass all 5 had at least 10 wins.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read it on BBTIA.com, but then I saw the info came from an Evan Grant blog, so probably a hunk of crap

I also read elsewhere that it didn't count, but maybe thats just for the purpose of luxury tax? I have no clue

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey romeo....that dude on the pirates board doesnt like you or your opinions very much :)

Yeah I noticed haha. Apparently disagreeing with him is not allowed unless you provide a "works cited" page with your post. We're on a message board. We spitball opinions. What the hell do you think a message board is for?

Thanks for the backup. I don't have time to read his journals that he posts. Most of them are pretentious and vindictive anyways.