• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs and Mariners are pretty much going to stink next year, the Nationals will probably be competitive next year

Not to mention the Nationals have as much talent stocked up as either

the Nationals "may be" competitive next season but with Philadelphia, Atlanta and Miami in their division they still may finish 3rd or 4th in the East

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* The Rangers remain interested in Prince Fielder, but Evan Grant of The Dallas Morning News says it would likely take a creative, short-term deal to make it happen.
* “I’m intimately aware of our budget and it’s very unlikely," said GM Jon Daniels to reporters (including MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan) when asked about Fielder. Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports corroborates these reports (Twitter link), saying the slugger's price must come way down.
* Morosi adds (on Twitter) that the Rangers and Josh Hamilton shelved extension talks recently so they could focus on Darvish and their arbitration-eligible players. Hamilton doesn't want to talk about a new deal once Spring Training starts.
* "Sometimes these negotiations can be contentious, these were not," said Daniels to reporters (including Anthony Andro of FOXSportsSouthwest.com) when asked about the nature of the Darvish discussions today (Twitter link).

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Nationals "may be" competitive next season but with Philadelphia, Atlanta and Miami in their division they still may finish 3rd or 4th in the East

Philly could also get old quick and Miami isn't nearly as good as people think they are, they'll be competitive just like the Nationals

Atlanta is saved by the fact they have tons of young pitching coming up soon, but they have some serious questions about their offense

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i bet they make their 52 mil back the 1st year on merchandise and the japanese market

That's a lot of freaking merchandise considering that they had the 14th highest attendance in 2010 and the tenth highest attendance in 2011, leading to a reported $22.6 million operating income in 2010. Tack on 2011 and you may come up with 52 million total.

He'll have to be one of the top 15-20 pitchers in MLB to have that kind of impact on the bottom line over the life of the contract. It's a monster financial comittment to say the least, but he's supposed to be the best to ever come out of Japan. I hope so.

In Nolan and JD we trust.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly could also get old quick and Miami isn't nearly as good as people think they are, they'll be competitive just like the Nationals

Atlanta is saved by the fact they have tons of young pitching coming up soon, but they have some serious questions about their offense

i am probably wrong but it seems to me that Philadelphia, Miami and maybe even Atlanta have the pitching to carry them for the next 3+ years just like Washington. i don't see Washington challenging them for at least 2 years even if they added Fielder

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a lot of freaking merchandise considering that they had the 14th highest attendance in 2010 and the tenth highest attendance in 2011, leading to a reported $22.6 million operating income in 2010. Tack on 2011 and you may come up with 52 million total.

He'll have to be one of the top 15-20 pitchers in MLB to have that kind of impact on the bottom line over the life of the contract. It's a monster financial comittment to say the least, but he's supposed to be the best to ever come out of Japan. I hope so.

In Nolan and JD we trust.

japans population 127 million.....lets say 1/10 are interested in darvish thats 12.7 million more fans. Now lets say that that only half of them want a darvish shirt thats 6 million more people buying ranger gear than last year

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2001, Ichiro’s rookie season, the Mariners made $27 million more than they had the previous year. The five teams closest to Seattle in revenues in 2000 increased their income by an average of just $6 million.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2001, Ichiro’s rookie season, the Mariners made $27 million more than they had the previous year. The five teams closest to Seattle in revenues in 2000 increased their income by an average of just $6 million.

so that is one player helping the mariners so if we have a big jump like seattle then the 52 mil is covered in one year.....we shall see

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am probably wrong but it seems to me that Philadelphia, Miami and maybe even Atlanta have the pitching to carry them for the next 3+ years just like Washington. i don't see Washington challenging them for at least 2 years even if they added Fielder

You are seriously overstating how good Miami is, Philly and Atlanta could have the pitching but Miami does not, Headcase case Zambrano with bad peripheral numbers to go along with the old soft tossing Buehrle, and the injury prone Josh Johnson? To me, one of those factors falls out of the equation next year

I think Washington takes a serious step forward next year based on their pitching which could be very good with a full season of Strasburg, Zimmerman, Gonzalez and Lannan heading up the rotation, and a collection of about 4 guys that could competently fill the 5 man spot

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i might be the only one with you jta washington has lots of young talent....most of them have been on my fanasty team

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving forward from this awesome news I've been thinking about what this means for the rotation. Provided everyone stays healthy coming out of spring training (this would be nice) it seems the club has already chosen to move ogando to the pen provided Feliz is showing good in spring training as well. It doesn't seem fair that Ogando is relegated to the pen after such a stellar first half last year, but someone is going to have to take that bullet and Ogando is an absolutely dominant reliever. Adding him to the pen makes an already strong bullpen absolutely beastly. Check these names out.

Starting Rotation:
Colbra
Holland
Darvish
Harrison
Feliz

Bullpen:
Nathan
Ogando
Adams
Lowe
Uehara
Gonzalez (assuming they sign him)
Kirkman (LOOGY)
Feldman

The rotation is solid, and if Colby comes back stronger when he's healthy, holland is as good as he was down the stretch last year, Darvish makes a smooth transition this rotation could be nasty. However, that bullpen is nasty and light years ahead of the bullpen that broke camp last year. Ogando's addition goes a long way to add something to that pen.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Want no part of Kirkman on my ML roster, should've traded him when he could actually find a strike zone

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no doubt that with the heavy Asian population in the Northwest Ichiro added to Seattle's bottom line. How much is a guesstimate. The Mariners were enjoying the playoffs in 2000 and winning 116 games in 2001 and that also had to have an impact on the bottom line. I've already showed you were 21 million was added to a bankrupt teams bottom line just from one playoff year.
However, you're comparing what Ichiro did in Seattle to what Darvish might do in Texas. 52 million in one year attributed to one player's contribution? No way. If so, then there is no way in hell they shouldn't sign Fielder AND Hamilton.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Want no part of Kirkman on my ML roster, should've traded him when he could actually find a strike zone

If no kirkman then you can bring up Ramirez or Perez to fill that spot. Remember uehara has great numbers against lefties too.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If no kirkman then you can bring up Ramirez or Perez to fill that spot. Remember uehara has great numbers against lefties too.

No way they should bring up a top starting pitching prospect to fill a bullpen spot

Perez and Ramirez to a lesser extent still have lumps to take at the AAA level

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

In the absence of another name beyond Gonzalez ... Kirkman heads the short list of other options for the second LHP.

Sure ... Uehara could potentially cover the second anti LH batter role. But then who fills the 7th RP slot?

I think Kirkman provides more in that capacity than Lowe (who is redundant if Ogando is in the bullpen) ... and Ramirez and Perez are totally untested ... and will surely be slotted for SP jobs in Round Rock. If Feliz doesn't make the rotation ... the Ogando remains a SP ... and Lowe gets that RP spot ... but otherwise I think Lowe is redundant and not as viable in the bullpen than Tateyama.

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't change the fact that Kirkman has no place on a ML roster, unless he somehow gets it together and is lights out in ST, which I doubt, but he has been year to year, good and bad, so it is possible