• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you can switch that around to why not bring in a veteran top of the rotation guy for a guy with minimal major league success and a history of being a mental midget.

I think you guys are minimalizing the point of selling high on Harrison just a little bit.

You're talking about the guy who next to CJ was Texas' most consistent pitcher last year. I'm not calling Harrison a torp, but given the choice between a young Harrison with a line of 14-9, 3.39 era, 185.2 ip
And an aging injury prone Oswalt at 9-10, 3.69 era, 139 ip

With Harrison's Salary at 2.95 and I assume Oswalt would command something like 8m. I'll take Harrison all day long.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you can switch that around to why not bring in a veteran top of the rotation guy for a guy with minimal major league success and a history of being a mental midget.

I think you guys are minimalizing the point of selling high on Harrison just a little bit.

Don't really view Oswalt as a top of the rotation guy anymore

Don't really see the point in selling high on Harrison

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're talking about the guy who next to CJ was Texas' most consistent pitcher last year. I'm not calling Harrison a torp, but given the choice between a young Harrison with a line of 14-9, 3.39 era, 185.2 ip
And an aging injury prone Oswalt at 9-10, 3.69 era, 139 ip

With Harrison's Salary at 2.95 and I assume Oswalt would command something like 8m. I'll take Harrison all day long.

Wouldn't say Oswalt is injury prone, but the back was on the verge of going out for the last couple seasons, and it finally did, doesn't bode well for the future

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't say Oswalt is injury prone, but the back was on the verge of going out for the last couple seasons, and it finally did, doesn't bode well for the future

Thats basically what I was getting at. You said it better than I did.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So you don't see the value in selling high on Harrison to restock the farm system with Perez and Ogando very likely on the verge of earning a rotation spot two years from now? You know you can only start 5 guys, and you can't keep all of them either.

Harrison is a nice pitcher, but he has never been projected as a front of the rotation pitcher either. He's at best the 4th pitcher in the rotation this year, and probably the 5th or in the pen. In other words he is stuck in no-man's land.

So of course Oswalt two years from now is out of the league, but that's not the point. A healthy Oswalt is better than Harrison. Maybe not by a mile, but definitely in the post season experience and success he brings.

Put on top of that the chance to restock some of the minor league levels and I think it's certainly worth looking at.

I also don't think that bringing in Oswalt means that are set on trading anyone. It would be wise to have as many guys as possible in case Oswalt's back explodes or the rotation fails to stay remarkably healthy like they did last season.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wouldnt move him until after/during this coming year......maybe he grows a little more and becomes a great pitcher for us...he is only 26,not every pitcher comes up early blazing like felix,kershaw,etc...

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i wouldnt move him until after/during this coming year......maybe he grows a little more and becomes a great pitcher for us...he is only 26,not every pitcher comes up early blazing like felix,kershaw,etc...

If Harrison turns in to a top of the rotation guy like those beasts I will eat my hat :D

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Harrison turns in to a top of the rotation guy like those beasts I will eat my hat :D

I don't think anyone expects Harrison to be Kershaw/Felix caliber, but he's a solid #3. Feliz is an unknown and while Ogando showed promise he needs to show he can hold up past the all-star break and develop a serviceable change up or curve ball or something. Who knows what Colby's production will be going forward. Ramirez and Perez are at minimum a year from being ready for anything but the big league bullpen and occasional spot start, and who knows what Feliz will do.

My point is Harrison is a young but talented (and as of last year consistent) starter that brings stability to the rotation.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish has proved nothing,
Lewis is a FA after next year and isn't getting any younger and struggled with the HR balll all season,
Holland while flashing brilliance has been inconsistent,
Ogando ran out of gas last year or the league figured him out b/c he only has 2 pitches and might be better suited for the bullpen,
Feliz has been a closer for the last 2 seasons and has had problems mixing up his pitches
Harrison is the only pitcher who was consistent last year, why would you trade your one consistent starter you have left?
Oswalt is not necessarily better than Harrison at this point, too many people's crush on him is based on the pitcher he was 2 years ago

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think there is a bit of revisionist history on Harrison's end to the season. He was hardly the guy he was to start the year. He didn't struggle as poorly as Ogando, but he had a horrible August and a very poor post season (except for one game against Tampa, which still wasn't that great).

Darvish isn't going anywhere but the rotation for the money they are paying him.The club already has put out there that they want to keep Colby (and why wouldn't they want to keep the best post season performer they have?) Feliz is going to get every opportunity to succeed as well. The club seems to have far more confidence in Holland.

Harrison is at the bottom of the list.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a bit of revisionist history on Harrison's end to the season. He was hardly the guy he was to start the year. He didn't struggle as poorly as Ogando, but he had a horrible August and a very poor post season (except for one game against Tampa, which still wasn't that great).

Darvish isn't going anywhere but the rotation for the money they are paying him.The club already has put out there that they want to keep Colby (and why wouldn't they want to keep the best post season performer they have?) Feliz is going to get every opportunity to succeed as well. The club seems to have far more confidence in Holland.

Just because the club is going to give Feliz every opportunity doesn't mean he's even going to crack the rotation out of spring training. Again, ogando flamed out and the league figured him out. He's got plenty of work to do.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know, maybe it's just me but I find it a little strange that the Ranger front office is quibbleing over a million or two about the arbitration elgible players who helped them to the series the last 2 years and they are prepared to fork over 100 million + on Darvish who has never thrown a major leauge pitch.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, maybe it's just me but I find it a little strange that the Ranger front office is quibbleing over a million or two about the arbitration elgible players who helped them to the series the last 2 years and they are prepared to fork over 100 million + on Darvish who has never thrown a major leauge pitch.

Its not quibbling, its the same dance that happens every year with every arbitration eligible player, player submits a number on the high side and the team a number on the low side, 9 times out of 10 agreeing on a number at the midpoint, no big deal

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

so a 25(birthday in sept.) year old pitch had a bad finish...what if he gets stronger this year....the point most of us i think agree on is give him more time then see if we wanna trade him when/if perez/other pitcher is ready/able to take his spot

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The rangers have been scouting this guy for a long time. If they think he's worth it I'm inclined to trust them.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just because the club is going to give Feliz every opportunity doesn't mean he's even going to crack the rotation out of spring training. Again, ogando flamed out and the league figured him out. He's got plenty of work to do.

Don't forget that Feliz would have been in the rotation last year had the Rangers had anyone who could have closed. I was fortunate enough to see him pitch his final start of the spring in person, and he was money. They wouldn't be giving him a rotation spot unless they knew he would be able to handle it. He would have to flame out in the spring to lose that spot.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so a 25(birthday in sept.) year old pitch had a bad finish...what if he gets stronger this year....the point most of us i think agree on is give him more time then see if we wanna trade him when/if perez/other pitcher is ready/able to take his spot

The team is going to have to deal one of these guys eventually. You can't sit on all of them. Why not deal the guy who allows you to restock the farm system?

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yeah. That's the way arbitration go.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget that Feliz would have been in the rotation last year had the Rangers had anyone who could have closed. I was fortunate enough to see him pitch his final start of the spring in person, and he was money. They wouldn't be giving him a rotation spot unless they knew he would be able to handle it. He would have to flame out in the spring to lose that spot.

Ogando could've closed.