• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. Besides guitarmy wasn't the one talking about dumping young off to the orioles.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder prefers teams east of the Mississippi River and teams that can win the World Series in the near future. The list of known interested parties includes the Brewers, Mariners, Cubs, Rangers, Blue Jays, and Nationals. Seattle's rebuilding status and geographic location may remove them from the mix, while the uncertainty around how much Chicago's new front office is willing to spend may remove them as well.

of those teams listed the only 2 that meet his preferences are the Brewers and Rangers

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets that the Rangers, Nationals, and Marlins are being the most aggressive on Buehrle. Washington prefers a shorter deal with Buehrle to a longer contract with C.J. Wilson.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets that the Rangers, Nationals, and Marlins are being the most aggressive on Buehrle. Washington prefers a shorter deal with Buehrle to a longer contract with C.J. Wilson.

The Angels are rumored not to go above the $85 million deal the gave Weaver. That would lead me to believe they are going to fall somewhere in the $75 million range. Do the Marlins have enough to go to the $90 million range after the Reyes deal? I don't think so, but it wouldn't shock me.

Factoring all this in I think that CJ is most likely to settle on either the Angels or Rangers. Can the Rangers afford to let CJ become the 4th starter in Anaheim's loaded rotation? I don't think so. Especially if the top end they are willing to go to is the $85 million deal Weaver got, and I don't think Anaheim is going that high.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And now the Marlins are going to apparently go all in for Pujols. That just might take them out of the CJ sweepstakes for good.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Angels are rumored not to go above the $85 million deal the gave Weaver. That would lead me to believe they are going to fall somewhere in the $75 million range. Do the Marlins have enough to go to the $90 million range after the Reyes deal? I don't think so, but it wouldn't shock me.

Factoring all this in I think that CJ is most likely to settle on either the Angels or Rangers. Can the Rangers afford to let CJ become the 4th starter in Anaheim's loaded rotation? I don't think so. Especially if the top end they are willing to go to is the $85 million deal Weaver got, and I don't think Anaheim is going that high.

i agree with your assessment. i still think that he re-signs with us for 5 years 72.5-75M. i don't think the Angels go higher than that for what would be their #4 starter

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Angels "reportedly" have 15-20 million to spend this offseason.... I doubt they'll blow all of that on CJ. They need an offensive 3b & closer more than another SP. IMO.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder prefers teams east of the Mississippi River and teams that can win the World Series in the near future. The list of known interested parties includes the Brewers, Mariners, Cubs,[/B] Rangers, Blue Jays, and Nationals. Seattle's rebuilding status and geographic location may remove them from the mix, while the uncertainty around how much Chicago's new front office is willing to spend may remove them as well.

of those teams listed the only 2 that meet his preferences are the Brewers and Rangers

This sounds like the discount nonsense notion that Bell was going to give San Diego. Why would a player seek a huge pay day as a free agent then narrow his preference down to two teams, one of which, according to Google Earth (Texas) is still west of he Mississippi.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds like the discount nonsense notion that Bell was going to give San Diego. Why would a player seek a huge pay day as a free agent then narrow his preference down to two teams, one of which, according to Google Earth (Texas) is still west of he Mississippi.

it was posted by a reporter at the Winter meetings, all i pointed out was that only 2 of the teams meet the requirement of contender and come close to the Mississippi requirement. i notice that several people are quick to jump on anything i post

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports covers some of the major headlines that we'll be seeing over the next four days during baseball's Winter Meetings. Here's a late night look at the highlights:

* Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder are still the headliners, and Morosi thinks that Pujols will sign first (although not necessarily this week). Once Pujols signs -- Morosi predicts he'll remain in St. Louis -- it's possible that his the increased number of suitors for Fielder will land him more money than Pujols. Fielder, of course, is also four years younger than Pujols.
* Fielder prefers teams east of the Mississippi River and teams that can win the World Series in the near future. The list of known interested parties includes the Brewers, Mariners, Cubs, Rangers, Blue Jays, and Nationals. Seattle's rebuilding status and geographic location may remove them from the mix, while the uncertainty around how much Chicago's new front office is willing to spend may remove them as well.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way in hell fielder goes to Seattle. They are the opposite of everything he wants and safeco is where power hitters go to die.

That said, I still think there's a pretty good chance CJ re-signs with Texas at a 5 yr 70mil or something like that once these winter meetings bring him back down to earth. The marlins were the biggest threat to snatch him up, but it looks like they may already be tied up financially for now. The nationals are still in play, but CJ wants to win and Texas gives him the opportunity to do that. And I don't see any way the angels are able to outbid Texas for him. That's one thing that cannot happen. So what does the rotation look like if CJ resigns?

CJ
Holland
Ogando
Harrison
Feliz

With Colby being traded? Of course that would also give them the flexibility to start Feliz in AA or AAA using Colby as a place holder. Though I'm hesitant to let him go if surgery fixed his hip and location problems. I would almost consider looking to put together a nice trade package that included Harrison.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was posted by a reporter at the Winter meetings, all i pointed out was that only 2 of the teams meet the requirement of contender and come close to the Mississippi requirement. i notice that several people are quick to jump on anything i post

Only speaking for myself, I wasn't jumping on anything. Don't be so sensitive. You're posting rumors that everybody's posting ( jumping on) and therefore should be treated as such....they are fair game to question and to be made light of.
I hope Texas does sign him. I'd like to to see Harrison, Murphy and Moreland packaged in a deal for a starter.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way in hell fielder goes to Seattle. They are the opposite of everything he wants and safeco is where power hitters go to die.

That said, I still think there's a pretty good chance CJ re-signs with Texas at a 5 yr 70mil or something like that once these winter meetings bring him back down to earth. The marlins were the biggest threat to snatch him up, but it looks like they may already be tied up financially for now. The nationals are still in play, but CJ wants to win and Texas gives him the opportunity to do that. And I don't see any way the angels are able to outbid Texas for him. That's one thing that cannot happen. So what does the rotation look like if CJ resigns?

CJ
Holland
Ogando
Harrison
Feliz

With Colby being traded?

if they re-signed CJ, then you either trade Colby or Feldman or you are planning on sending Feliz to AAA to work on his secondary pitches because Wash and Maddux are not prepared to put him on the MLB roster as a starter

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only speaking for myself, I wasn't jumping on anything. Don't be so sensitive. You're posting rumors that everybody's posting ( jumping on) and therefore should be treated as such....they are fair game to question and to be made light of.
I hope Texas does sign him. I'd like to to see Harrison, Murphy and Moreland packaged in a deal for a starter.

okay sorry. i agree about Fielder but when it all comes down to it re-signing CJ or another starter is priority 1 thru 10.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they re-signed CJ, then you either trade Colby or Feldman or you are planning on sending Feliz to AAA to work on his secondary pitches because Wash and Maddux are not prepared to put him on the MLB roster as a starter

Huh?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

okay, so they go thru ST with Feliz in a starter role and at the end of ST Wash and Maddux don't feel that Feliz is ready, what do you do?

1) Leave Feliz as a starter and accept that he is going to get hit because he is forced to rely on his FB more than 75% of the time and his secondary pitches aren't working, or

2) send him down to AAA so he can work on all his pitches and then bring him up when he's ready.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also willing to wait to see what Feliz has to offer in ST before annointing him anything, his offspeed and secondary offering worked just fine in ST last year, its just a matter of throwing them

If he struggles then he can start the year in AAA and do some more refining

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay sorry. i agree about Fielder but when it all comes down to it re-signing CJ or another starter is priority 1 thru 10.

I'd rather they didn't sign him to a long term deal for a lot of money. I'd rather wait till next year when the FA market for pitching is better.