• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is time to see Feliz as the SP he was touted to be. If he makes the rotation he'll still be only 24 and would be two years younger than Holland and three years younger than Harrison.

Feliz had a good season as closer in 2011 ... but in my opinion was more dominating in his ROY season. This past season he never "seemed" to dominate in back to back outings ... and "seemed" to lack command of his setup pitches ... which coupled with too frequently not being able to spot his FB (that had minimal movement) leading to too many inopportune hits and failed outings.

Is total lockdown control by Feliz more than what we should have expected? Certainly, a 23yo closer hasn't had the chance to work on his secondary stuff enough to be confident in it and is left with only speed as a weapon when his FB control is off.

He needs to be worked out and stretched as a starter and kept in that role even if it means he has to spend a few months at Round Rock putting in innings and working on his full repertoir until he's ready for a full share rotation spot.

In my opinion.

and his lack of command of his secondary pitches and the inability to "spot" his FB that worry me. he needs to be put in a position to develop that command & location but i'm not convinced that position should be as a starter in the Major Leagues where it could damage the team's progress. bring him into ST as a starter but if at the end of ST Maddux and Wash are not comfortable with his progress move him to AAA, let him start every 5 days there and as soon as they think he's ready bring him back

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know if he's playing in any winter leagues right now?

Here's the thing. I'm going to be nervous as hell if he's in the big league rotation coming out of spring training. The best thing would probably be to have him start in AA till June or so, but Texas will have to sign another starter if they do that more than likely. Throwing him out there in April would really make me nervous.

Nope, neither Feliz or Ogando are throwing any winter ball. that makes me very nervous about both especially Feliz

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and his lack of command of his secondary pitches and the inability to "spot" his FB that worry me. he needs to be put in a position to develop that command & location but i'm not convinced that position should be as a starter in the Major Leagues where it could damage the team's progress. bring him into ST as a starter but if at the end of ST Maddux and Wash are not comfortable with his progress move him to AAA, let him start every 5 days there and as soon as they think he's ready bring him back

Exactly.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nope, neither Feliz or Ogando are throwing any winter ball. that makes me very nervous about both especially Feliz

Dominican League season ends in thee weeks so don't think it was really a good fit for either guy. Since they are both DR citizens ... I don't think they are eligible to pitch in the Mexican or Venezuelan leagues which end shortly after the Dominican League finishes.

And just because they aren't playing winter ball does not mean they aren't working out.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dominican League season ends in thee weeks so don't think it was really a good fit for either guy. Since they are both DR citizens ... I don't think they are eligible to pitch in the Mexican or Venezuelan leagues which end shortly after the Dominican League finishes.

And just because they aren't playing winter ball does not mean they aren't working out.

i realize that they're both probably working out but to work on their secondary pitches they need to be throwing in game time situations against real hitters. that's why i would have like to have seen them throwing in DL and why i think that at least Feliz will need some time at AAA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were talking about two established ML pitchers, I don't know why you're talking about winter leagues and round rock like they're prospects. They'll both be fine.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ogando really needs to be focusing on building strength is his lower body. I really think that's why his location left him late in the year.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were talking about two established ML pitchers, I don't know why you're talking about winter leagues and round rock like they're prospects. They'll both be fine.

i wish i had your faith. Feliz is an established reliever/closer who has relied primarily on his FB about 80-85% of the time and thus has not worked on his secondary pitches like a starter needs to. his FB has little movement so he relies on location and speed to make it effective and in a starting role that gets affected by how long he is on the mound.

Ogando needs to work on his lower body strength and his endurance this off-season and no one talked about sending him down to AAA.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ogey just had a stretch of bad games. His last couple starts were solid and he was lights out in relief until the WS and I think that's mostly due to being overworked. And it's not like those pitches to Craig were terrible pitches. As far as Feliz, I'll say it again...let's not judge him for only needing one pitch as a closer. Obviously the FO knows more about his other 3 pitches than we do and they were confident enough to sign Nathan to replace him. They've proved they know what they're doing so I think you need a little more faith.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im just waiting for opening day....still pretty drained from that WS.....hope we win one soon after that...winter meetings coming up real soon and then i will try not to pay attention to any baseball....and so far i think every move they have made is a good one

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers signed catcher Dusty Brown, according to Matt Eddy of Baseball America, who has details on the week's minor moves. Brown, 29, has big league experience with the Red Sox and Pirates. He posted a .285/.367/.506 line in 199 Triple-A plate appearances in 2011.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Rangers signed catcher Dusty Brown, according to Matt Eddy of Baseball America, who has details on the week's minor moves. Brown, 29, has big league experience with the Red Sox and Pirates. He posted a .285/.367/.506 line in 199 Triple-A plate appearances in 2011.

Looks like Brown could fill the same role that Kevin Cash did as a non-40man roster catcher unless he lights up during ST and wins a 40man spot (with assignment to AAA). But TEX was saddled with TT on the 40man last year and that left him as the only one with mobility to move up and back leaving Cash without a shot.

TEX may just hold on a third catcher on the roster ... which may mean Napoli gets at 1b ... which is okay with me. I'd like seeing Brown or somebody else beat Torrealba for the #2 C job and TEX move Torrealba for a bag of marbles or something.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
# Rangers GM Jon Daniels has spoken to C.J. Wilson's agent as recently as today reports Jeff Wilson of The Fort Worth Star Telegram (on Twitter), and MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan says the two sides are expected to meet again at the winter meetings.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carlos Pena would be a fit with the Blue Jays, Brewers, Cubs, Mariners, Nationals, Rangers, Red Sox and Yankees, opines SBNation's Rob Neyer. The Yankees tried to claim Pena on waivers last August but the Cubs pulled him back.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark DeRosa doesn't expect any team to guarantee him an everyday job, but he does want the chance to prove that his left wrist is healthy. The free agent utility player told Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that the Nationals, Rangers, Indians and Pirates have all spoken with his surgeon and that the Giants have some interest in re-signing him despite his recent injury.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus (via Twitter) lists, in order, the Yankees, Rangers and Phillies as the top candidates to sign Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be pretty happy to have DeRosa for a second stint. I liked him a lot back in 06. Between Blanco, Quintanilla, and German we had some pretty sorry backup IF's last year, and putting Young and Naps in there didn't help us much defensively either. He'd be a solid addition IMO.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be pretty happy to have DeRosa for a second stint. I liked him a lot back in 06. Between Blanco, Quintanilla, and German we had some pretty sorry backup IF's last year, and putting Young and Naps in there didn't help us much defensively either. He'd be a solid addition IMO.

without Young filling in at 3rd and Napoli at Catcher & 1st, where would we have finished last season. hate all you want but they got us there.

but getting DeRosa would be a great move

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
without Young filling in at 3rd and Napoli at Catcher & 1st, where would we have finished last season. hate all you want but they got us there.

but getting DeRosa would be a great move

Not hating at all, calm down buddy. I've been one of Young's biggest defenders. Just saying having a utility guy with a bat would be much more preferable than taking Mike & Mike out of their positions.