• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think you are misreading the market for CJ Scotsman. He probably isn't going to get the 6 and $120, but 5 for $75 isn't going to happen either. Maybe that's what the Rangers offer at the most, but some team out there is going to give him a deal closer to the 5 for $90 range. The Rangers aren't going to go that high based on what were hearing, and I doubt CJ passes up on $15 million. If CJ walks then Garza would become the best pitcher on the staff should they acquire him.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well, i still think that they will give Feliz a serious look at starting this ST but if they are able to re-sign CJ or sign someone like Buehrle or Oswalt or trade for someone like Garza, Wade Davis or Niemann he may still end up in bullpen for 2012. and how do you write off someone for 1, repeat ONE, bad appearance? if you did that then a lot of pitchers including Rivera and others would have been cut.

He's going to have to bomb as a starter and then Nathan and Adams would have to bomb as the closer for him to get a shot at closing again with the Rangers. This has more to do with the actions of the team after Game 6 than the game itself. Wash says he was too distraught to pitch the 10th (sounds nothing like Mariano to me), the Rangers announce he will be a starter, and then they sign Nathan to a multi year deal. Also, Nolan questioned him openly about his mental fortitude during the year. Not sure how you could think that Feliz is going to be remotely considered as a closer after these events.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are misreading the market for CJ Scotsman. He probably isn't going to get the 6 and $120, but 5 for $75 isn't going to happen either. Maybe that's what the Rangers offer at the most, but some team out there is going to give him a deal closer to the 5 for $90 range. The Rangers aren't going to go that high based on what were hearing, and I doubt CJ passes up on $15 million. If CJ walks then Garza would become the best pitcher on the staff should they acquire him.

i don't think he will get close to the 6 years, 120M or even 100M and i don't see many teams that are going to pay a #2 or #3 5 years, 90M which is what he would be on most teams that are chasing him. 5 years, 72.5-75M is probably a lot closer to what he will get.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was shit or get off the pot time with Feliz ever becoming a starter, and I believe they've chosen wisely long-term

will Feliz struggle? most likely

Will people be calling it a bad move after he has a few rough outings? No doubt

But most young pitchers have rough patches, and Feliz is one that hasn't really started in about 2 1/2 seasons

So try not to step out on that ledge too soon scotsman

i'm not close to any ledge as you are implying. i'm pragmatic and i see the Rangers giving Feliz every chance to make the rotation during ST and i agree with the way they have told him that he has a starting rotation position but if he goes out there in ST and gets shelled as a starter it does not serve any purpose for the team or him to throw him out there as starter in the regular season. if his confidence is not there in ST and then they still put him out there in the RS it would destroy him as an MLB pitcher.

i suppose you would just leave him out there which is where we differ and what would you do if he does get shelled keep throwing him out there or send him down to the minors?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to have to bomb as a starter and then Nathan and Adams would have to bomb as the closer for him to get a shot at closing again with the Rangers. This has more to do with the actions of the team after Game 6 than the game itself. Wash says he was too distraught to pitch the 10th (sounds nothing like Mariano to me), the Rangers announce he will be a starter, and then they sign Nathan to a multi year deal. Also, Nolan questioned him openly about his mental fortitude during the year. Not sure how you could think that Feliz is going to be remotely considered as a closer after these events.

he had 1 bad game and everyone is ready to lynch him. so now all are blowing off the 72 saves he accomplished over the last 2 years. sure he was distraught he was blaming himself for blowing the lead. i wouldn't be happy if he wasn't. and what does Nolan expect from a kid who's only 23 years old?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not close to any ledge as you are implying. i'm pragmatic and i see the Rangers giving Feliz every chance to make the rotation during ST and i agree with the way they have told him that he has a starting rotation position but if he goes out there in ST and gets shelled as a starter it does not serve any purpose for the team or him to throw him out there as starter in the regular season. if his confidence is not there in ST and then they still put him out there in the RS it would destroy him as an MLB pitcher.

i suppose you would just leave him out there which is where we differ and what would you do if he does get shelled keep throwing him out there or send him down to the minors?

As long as its more good than bad, Holland this past year as an example, then I leave him out there

If he doesn't have a clue, then send him to the minors, but the bullpen is not an option until he proves completely incapable of starting, which he's never shown in the past all the way up to AAA

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4) this surprises me.

The Rangers have interest in Fielder, but he's not high on their priority list, according to Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Texas isn't seriously courting Pujols, either.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he had 1 bad game and everyone is ready to lynch him. so now all are blowing off the 72 saves he accomplished over the last 2 years. sure he was distraught he was blaming himself for blowing the lead. i wouldn't be happy if he wasn't. and what does Nolan expect from a kid who's only 23 years old?

saving 72 games over 2 seasons isn't quite the great accomplishment you make it out to be, history is littered with also-rans who have exceeded this "achievement,"

he was good but he had plenty of bad moments mixed in there as well

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as its more good than bad, Holland this past year as an example, then I leave him out there

If he doesn't have a clue, then send him to the minors, but the bullpen is not an option until he proves completely incapable of starting, which he's never shown in the past all the way up to AAA

Derek tried for 2 years as a starter before last year. in 2009, he made 21 starts and went 8-13 with a 6.12 ERA. he made 10 starts in 2010 going 3-4. and then there was 2011. i would expect more of the Holland of 2009 than 2011 from Feliz

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saving 72 games over 2 seasons isn't quite the great accomplishment you make it out to be, history is littered with also-rans who have exceeded this "achievement,"

he was good but he had plenty of bad moments mixed in there as well

i won't argue about the bad moments but how many 23-year-old's posted 72 saves in their 1st 2 years as a closer and won the Rookie of the Year their 1st season?

i am just as disappointed as everyone about our 2nd straight failure to win the WS but unlike some i'm not going to place the blame on any one player like some seem to be doing

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4) this surprises me.

The Rangers have interest in Fielder, but he's not high on their priority list, according to Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Texas isn't seriously courting Pujols, either.

Doesn't surprise me. Offense is not lacking in Texas. The only position they are questionable at offensively is 1b and cf if they continue playing josh in left. Frankly I think gentry could do fine in center, while occasionally letting josh play cf and Murphy slide in to left.

So that leaves first base. One spot in the entire batting order that were not sure about. We know what Mitch's potential is. He showed well in the first half last season. I say let him show us what he's got as Napoli and young can fill in to give him a break as well.

Texas is focusing on pitching as they should. For the most part the starting rotation is incredibly talented, but very young and will have their bumps in the road. Texas is stacking the bullpen to prepare for this. Looks to me like nolan and jd know exactly what they're doing.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
4) this surprises me.

I heard this morning that Mitch Williams (MLB) looks for Fielder to go to Texas.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard this morning that Mitch Williams (MLB) looks for Fielder to go to Texas.

that would be weird and would limit Young to DH and Napoli to C except for the very rare occasion

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
latest news - 12/1/2011

1) The Orioles will acquire Taylor Teagarden from the Rangers, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (Twitter link). The teams have had ongoing discussions about the possibility of a trade, Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reported earlier today.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that would be weird and would limit Young to DH and Napoli to C except for the very rare occasion

yeah but sometimes you can dh prince and let him rest a little during the summer and play mike/nap, couldnt do that with prince in the nl

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and young should just except being a fulltime dh anyways and just wait to get in the field to rest the guys occasionally

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and young should just except being a fulltime dh anyways and just wait to get in the field to rest the guys occasionally

agreed. if we did sign Fielder, i would only expect MY to see maybe 20 to 25 games in the field

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do not have a problem with Napoli catching a ton of games and Young being almost exclusively a DH. Now, there will be injuries to deal with during the season, that is inevitable. Good to have quality options.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not have a problem with Napoli catching a ton of games and Young being almost exclusively a DH. Now, there will be injuries to deal with during the season, that is inevitable. Good to have quality options.
and as ive mentioned before prince gives tons of flexibility in trades as we could slide moreland into the OF/or trade him along with other of's for some bigtime arms

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) The Orioles will acquire Taylor Teagarden from the Rangers, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (Twitter link). The teams have had ongoing discussions about the possibility of a trade, Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reported earlier today.

Man, we sure like to trade with BWI.