• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
4 years and $60 is about as likely as 6 and $120. He's going to get an offer for 5 years guaranteed from someone out there. That won't be from the Rangers. They will probably offer 4 years with a 5th mutual option. I doubt CJ would pass on the 5th year, so they will be forced to guarantee or watch him walk.

So is 5 and $90 worth it?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nope. Honestly I'm not sure I'd give him more than 3/39. He's a 31 year old strike zone-dependent pitcher with inflated numbers and a Romo-like "loser" stamp on his forehead. I think the combined projected improvements of our 3 youngins, a healthy Colby, Nefty, and a stronger bullpen going into next year makes up for CJ's absence. I don't think our window is closing anytime soon so I don't see the point in overpaying him when we already have a strong staff with good prospects on the farm, and probably better FA options next offseason.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can take Feliz out of there. He's done as a closer after Game 6. Adams is still the 8th inning guy. That would leave Nathan and Bailey to duke it out. I actually think they would slide Adams to the 7th and then have Bailey in the 8th.

well, i still think that they will give Feliz a serious look at starting this ST but if they are able to re-sign CJ or sign someone like Buehrle or Oswalt or trade for someone like Garza, Wade Davis or Niemann he may still end up in bullpen for 2012. and how do you write off someone for 1, repeat ONE, bad appearance? if you did that then a lot of pitchers including Rivera and others would have been cut.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 years and $60 is about as likely as 6 and $120. He's going to get an offer for 5 years guaranteed from someone out there. That won't be from the Rangers. They will probably offer 4 years with a 5th mutual option. I doubt CJ would pass on the 5th year, so they will be forced to guarantee or watch him walk.

no but 5 years, 72.5 to 75M is probably close to what he's going to get.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Honestly I'm not sure I'd give him more than 3/39. He's a 31 year old strike zone-dependent pitcher with inflated numbers and a Romo-like "loser" stamp on his forehead. I think the combined projected improvements of our 3 youngins, a healthy Colby, Nefty, and a stronger bullpen going into next year makes up for CJ's absence. I don't think our window is closing anytime soon so I don't see the point in overpaying him when we already have a strong staff with good prospects on the farm, and probably better FA options next offseason.

please, there are too many teams interested in him for a "joke" offer like what you're suggesting to even be offered. Miami, the Angels, the Nationals and probably several other teams including the Rangers are going to offer a lot more than that.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2) The Rangers announced that Mitch Moreland underwent right wrist surgery today and may not be ready in time for Spring Training. However, the GM Jon Daniels expects Moreland to be healthy in time for Opening Day 2012 and says the team won't need to change its first base plans drastically.

"We may look for some protection there now, but I don't see it changing the level of investment we're going to allocate there," Daniels said, according to MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan.

Michael Young and Mike Napoli can also play first base for the Rangers if Moreland's recovery takes longer than expected. Though Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols are available on the free agent market, the Rangers say they don't have interest in costly options at the position.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3) Rangers assistant general manager Thad Levine has decided not to interview with the Astros. He may end up with an expanded role with the Rangers.

The Astros asked for and received permission earlier this week to interview Levine for their general manager opening. On Wednesday, Levine issued a statement through the Rangers that he was taking himself out of the running for the position.

He will remain with the Rangers as Jon Daniels' assistant and could oversee the club's farm system as well. The Rangers have been looking for a farm director after Scott Servais left to become assistant general manager with the Angels. The Rangers have discussed the possibility of Levine undertaking an expanded role that will include the farm system.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
please, there are too many teams interested in him for a "joke" offer like what you're suggesting to even be offered. Miami, the Angels, the Nationals and probably several other teams including the Rangers are going to offer a lot more than that.

I didn't say it would be enough to sign him, I just said that's all that I would offer if I were in the FO. In other words, I would let him walk, which is what is most likely going to happen anyway. Still, how is 13 mil a year a joke? That's more than everyone on the team makes except Beltre and Young. More than anyone on the Angels makes except Wells and Hunter. All 4 of those players are overpaid. It's more than anyone on the Nationals and Marlins make. Some of us seem to have lost our grasp on how much money is a lot of money and how much some players are worth.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say it would be enough to sign him, I just said that's all that I would offer if I were in the FO. In other words, I would let him walk, which is what is most likely going to happen anyway. Still, how is 13 mil a year a joke? That's more than everyone on the team makes except Beltre and Young. More than anyone on the Angels makes except Wells and Hunter. All 4 of those players are overpaid. It's more than anyone on the Nationals and Marlins make. Some of us seem to have lost our grasp on how much money is a lot of money and how much some players are worth.

no, it's not a matter of any of us losing perspective on what amounts to how much a player is worth or how much money is a lot of money, it's a matter of what teams are willing to splurge on players. you may think that it is a waste of time and money to offer anything to CJ but it amounts to what the Rangers or other teams think is a fair amount to offer him. according to reports the Rangers and CJ continue to talk and i think they are looking to see what the other teams are offering before committing. the general consensus is that he will get at least 4 years minimum and at least 13-15M a year

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, it's not a matter of any of us losing perspective on what amounts to how much a player is worth or how much money is a lot of money, it's a matter of what teams are willing to splurge on players. you may think that it is a waste of time and money to offer anything to CJ but it amounts to what the Rangers or other teams think is a fair amount to offer him. according to reports the Rangers and CJ continue to talk and i think they are looking to see what the other teams are offering before committing. the general consensus is that he will get at least 4 years minimum and at least 13-15M a year

Okay...so the consensus is to give him 1 more year and another couple million a year than I would give him. A slight difference of opinion. I just don't think he's worth that much, especially not to us. :noidea:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay...so the consensus is to give him 1 more year and another couple million a year than I would give him. A slight difference of opinion. I just don't think he's worth that much, especially not to us. :noidea:

but it's not us that makes that decision so we'll have to wait and see. i think the Rangers have already given him an offer of a certain number of years and a certain amount a year and he is sounding out the other teams. Heyman of SI reported he ask the Angels for 6 years 100M but i don't believe him.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, i still think that they will give Feliz a serious look at starting this ST but if they are able to re-sign CJ or sign someone like Buehrle or Oswalt or trade for someone like Garza, Wade Davis or Niemann he may still end up in bullpen for 2012. and how do you write off someone for 1, repeat ONE, bad appearance? if you did that then a lot of pitchers including Rivera and others would have been cut.

Its more than a "serious" look... they have told him he will be in the rotation...

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its more than a "serious" look... they have told him he will be in the rotation...

and i understand that, but what else would they have told him? they told him "it's yours to win or lose in ST" and that's the way it should be

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was shit or get off the pot time with Feliz ever becoming a starter, and I believe they've chosen wisely long-term

will Feliz struggle? most likely

Will people be calling it a bad move after he has a few rough outings? No doubt

But most young pitchers have rough patches, and Feliz is one that hasn't really started in about 2 1/2 seasons

So try not to step out on that ledge too soon scotsman

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard on the radio a little while ago that the Mavs may not be re-signing Tyson. Anybody here anything about this? I am very concerned. If true, that will be a dark day.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard on the radio a little while ago that the Mavs may not be re-signing Tyson. Anybody here anything about this? I am very concerned. If true, that will be a dark day.

San+Antonio+Spurs+v+Dallas+Mavericks+lOFPt2lwFuGl.jpg

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Boy ... I disagree with this entirely. It is beyond a serious look at SP for Feliz. That is his new life. Either makes the 25man as an SP ... or he's at AAA as an SP. They absolutely have to make that move to let him finish his development.

Mistake was made with both Harrison and Holland in my opinion running them back and forth to the bullpen and the rotation. Think they have learned their lesson and will commit Feliz to a rotation either in Arlington ... or Round Rock.

Makes absolutly no difference whether CJ comes back or TEX trades for whoever else ... Wade, Garza, etc ... Feliz is an SP now.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if in your assumption you are looking at him like you would a 31-year-old starter who had been starting all of his MLB career then you would have a valid point but he has only been starting for 2 years and before that he was a reliever who only averaged about 40-50 innings a season. as a starter CJ could and should show improvement over the next 2 possible 3 seasons because of the minimum stain on his arm.

Has nothing to do with him getting tired. Has more to do with his ability to command his pitches and adjust to what the ump is calling as a strike zone.

If this isn't his top end ... it is very close ... and there is potentially better upside in much cheaper and younger guys.

How many wins difference did he have more than Holland? None. Both had 16 wins. How many more wins than Lewis and Harrison? ... 2 ... Ogando? ... 3.

CJ is not critical ... he's not a TORP ... he's a #2 at best. A co #2.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if CJ finishes with an ERA under 3 next year, and I'm willing to bet that he never wins 18 games.