• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are you gonna talk shit to the ump after you strike out swinging? :L

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Pudge a FA this year. He just did an interview where he expressed interest in coming back to Texas, even as a backup. I say we get on the horn with Washington if he's not a FA and offer Torrealba for pudge and something else.

If he is, put Torrealba on the trade block and sign pudge.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels signed Eric Hurley to a minor league deal today...

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds sort of interesting. From BBTiA:

Jim Bowden tweeted the other day that sources close to Prince Fielder continue to insist that both the Blue Jays and the Rangers are "in" on him, and suggests that one of the reasons why Texas should still be considered a contender for Fielder is because the Rangers received $180 million upfront from their massive television deal.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the head.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jim Bowden tweeted the other day that sources close to Prince Fielder continue to insist that both the Blue Jays and the Rangers are "in" on him, and suggests that one of the reasons why Texas should still be considered a contender for Fielder is because the Rangers received $180 million upfront from their massive television deal.

We shall see. I certainly wouldn't put anything past them at this point. Hopefully if they do sign him it will be for something like a 5yr deal. If they do sign him do you start shopping Moreland?

How funny would it be for the rangers to beat out Toronto for both Darvish and Fielder? We certainly ought to repay them in kind for the ass whippings they've handed us over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Seattle does something as dumb as trading him and his friendly contract, I can't see them trading him to a division rival that has been to the last two WS. I mean, if you're having trouble scoring runs how do you remedy that by trading your top pitcher to a division rival?
And everybody says, oh yeah, what about Cliff Lee? Not the same deal.
Besides, the M's keep getting better with every player Oakland gets rid of. :dhd:

but there's this:

Geoff Baker of The Seattle Times hears that the Mariners will declare a $6.75MM operating loss in 2011, the second largest of the Safeco Field era behind 2008

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but there's this:

Geoff Baker of The Seattle Times hears that the Mariners will declare a $6.75MM operating loss in 2011, the second largest of the Safeco Field era behind 2008

Something I remember hearing many years ago concerning baseball finances: A good baseball accountant can turn a 2 million dollar profit into a 4 million dollar loss.
I wonder if there is a difference between "declares" and "actual" or if it makes much difference as they still have to be a notch or two, financially, above Oakland.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall see. I certainly wouldn't put anything past them at this point. Hopefully if they do sign him it will be for something like a 5yr deal. If they do sign him do you start shopping Moreland?

How funny would it be for the rangers to beat out Toronto for both Darvish and Fielder? We certainly ought to repay them in kind for the ass whippings they've handed us over the years.

Like you say, I wouldn't put anything past them and if I guessed I'd be wrong. Considering that Scott Boras is his agent things have been pretty quiet concerning Fielder. I know one thing...thinking about Fielder hitting in the RBiA jet stream gives me happy pants.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I kept wondering why the Rangers wouldn't get any upfront money on the TV deal. It would make sense not just for the Rangers but for FOX. You certainly think a team with additions like Fielder and Darvish would draw more ratings.

Still, I think Fielder is a Ranger only if he accepts a 5 year deal.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torrealba is the definition of Spare. Trading him would get as much as TEX got for Teagarden: An A+ level pitcher and an AA 2nd baseman. Maybe less.

His contract is too big for a #2 catcher. Package him with someone else to get something worthwhile. Hell he hit .275+ this year. Someone has to need a #1 catcher. Pudge has already said he would welcome being Texas' #2 catcher.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kept wondering why the Rangers wouldn't get any upfront money on the TV deal. It would make sense not just for the Rangers but for FOX. You certainly think a team with additions like Fielder and Darvish would draw more ratings.

Still, I think Fielder is a Ranger only if he accepts a 5 year deal.

I never considered up front money. I just assumed the current TV contract would expire before the new one kicked in.
Fielder and Boras could very well be finding out that the market for deals longer than 5 years is pretty thin.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never considered up front money. I just assumed the current TV contract would expire before the new one kicked in.
Fielder and Boras could very well be finding out that the market for deals longer than 5 years is pretty thin.

If all those things are true then fielder could very easily find himself in Texas. 180 million up front sure would alleviate some concerns about increasing payroll with Darvish, potentially Fielder, and keeping the core together. I'm honestly not sure if they pay much to keep Nelly. His proneness to injury really depletes his value in my opinion. To me the core players we need to really try to extend are:

Hamilton
Kinsler
Napoli
Holland
And maybe Murphy

To my knowledge they are in for extension talks with all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep YT, he's a solid #2 catcher

He's not going to like catching only 50 or so games a year, which is the most he should be catching. He's a pretty expensive #2.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If all those things are true then fielder could very easily find himself in Texas. 180 million up front sure would alleviate some concerns about increasing payroll with Darvish, potentially Fielder, and keeping the core together. I'm honestly not sure if they pay much to keep Nelly. His proneness to injury really depletes his value in my opinion. To me the core players we need to really try to extend are:

Hamilton
Kinsler
Napoli
Holland
And maybe Murphy

To my knowledge they are in for extension talks with all of them.

The injury concerns could be a sticking point in the Hamilton negotiations, too. Even with the injuries I think I'd take Nellie over Murphy.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The injury concerns could be a sticking point in the Hamilton negotiations, too. Even with the injuries I think I'd take Nellie over Murphy.

When Hamilton is healthy he is maybe the best player in the game. His injury history will decrease what the rangers are willing to pay to keep him, but from the sounds of things I don't think he'll be asking for the moon. I expect holland, Napoli, and Hamilton will have extensions before ST breaks. I'd you add Ian to that list I would be thrilled.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not going to like catching only 50 or so games a year, which is the most he should be catching. He's a pretty expensive #2.

It's 3 million and he's only signed through next year, anyone you sign is going to cost about the same