• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The A's are moving closer to a Gio Gonzalez trade, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (Twitter links). The bidding is down to two teams, one of which is the Nationals. The Marlins and Red Sox may also be involved, but the Rangers are not.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The A's are moving closer to a Gio Gonzalez trade, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (Twitter links). The bidding is down to two teams, one of which is the Nationals. The Marlins and Red Sox may also be involved, but the Rangers are not.

Finally

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank God. There is no way Gio was worth what they were wanting from the Rangers for him.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brings me back to the original statements concerning a 6 man rotation...

Traditional thinking would count this idea as absurd due to your "ace" not getting maximum starts, but the truth is all these guys have too many questions to be considered a good #2 much less a number #1

The value added in keeping these guys fresh and keeping their workload low, at least for the start of the season could be far greater than getting a couple extra starts out of Lewis or Holland

Am I saying its a great idea for the whole season? No

But for the first or so starts, might be worth a look for about 5 or 10 starts and then narrow it down when its clear as to who's a keeper and who's not

ST will do alot to sort out these long before we get to that point:

Feliz gets roughed up and starts in AAA, Ogando gets roughed up and goes to the bullpen, Feldman or Harrison proves to be a better longman and spot starter than rotation fixture

That would leave the rotation bound only: Darvish, Lewis, and Holland

Note: I tend to think of Harrison as a starter only and not a candidate for the bullpen but many would tend to disagree

I inclined to think that 2 of Ogando, Harrison, Feliz and Feldman will show enough to warrant putting them in the rotation and if all 4 do, then I'm ok with the idea of a 6 man to help out guys like Darvish and Feliz ease into the rotation and/or keep Ogando fresher and put Feldman as the longman

I get the rest idea. The reason I posted the question was that if we have enough starters to talk about a 6 man rotation then obviously we have enough pitching for the traditional 5 man rotation. I was curious as to why we would need a back up plan?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the rest idea. The reason I posted the question was that if we have enough starters to talk about a 6 man rotation then obviously we have enough pitching for the traditional 5 man rotation. I was curious as to why we would need a back up plan?

No it just reminded me of a thread where people were saying it was completely ludicrous,

I agree with you on this point

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What ever they did during ST last year, they need to focus on the same number of pitchers and go through the same routines, it definitely worked last year

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the question is: what do you do with the extra pitcher? we have 7 starters, Holland, Darvish, Harrison, Lewis, Ogando, Feliz & Feldman available. assuming that 1 of them becomes the Long Reliever (Feldman?) that still leaves 6. some have suggested moving Ogando back to the pen but i think that stunts his development. others have suggested sending Feliz to AAA to work on his secondary pitches. but suppose the Rangers choose not do either

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feliz to AAA or Ogando to the pen, are the only plausible scenarios for a 5 man rotation, and if Feliz is lights out in ST, no way he goes to AAA, that leaves Ogando in the pen

Unless of course someone implodes or gets hurt between now and the beginning of the season

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the question is: what do you do with the extra pitcher? we have 7 starters, Holland, Darvish, Harrison, Lewis, Ogando, Feliz & Feldman available. assuming that 1 of them becomes the Long Reliever (Feldman?) that still leaves 6. some have suggested moving Ogando back to the pen but i think that stunts his development. others have suggested sending Feliz to AAA to work on his secondary pitches. but suppose the Rangers choose not do either

This is all if they all come out of ST healthy. That is a big if...,

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It looks like the Nationals and Red Sox are the finalists for Gonzalez, tweets Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.

hope it's the Nationals

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Espn reporting danks and the white six just agreed to a 5 yr 65 million dollar extension. That's a little rich if you ask me.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Harrison should traded during the season. It seems like he's the most expendable while at the same time being the guy we could get the most in return for between him, Feldman and Lewis. Seems like a no-brainer to me. You keep Feldman in the pen and keep Lewis for his penchant for showing up in big games. Leaves us with a rotation of Holland, Darvish, Ogando, Feliz, Lewis, in no particular order.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Harrison should traded during the season. It seems like he's the most expendable while at the same time being the guy we could get the most in return for between him, Feldman and Lewis. Seems like a no-brainer to me. You keep Feldman in the pen and keep Lewis for his penchant for showing up in big games. Leaves us with a rotation of Holland, Darvish, Ogando, Feliz, Lewis, in no particular order.

I don't know. I'm hesitant to trade a pitcher who throws 96 with his propensity for getting ground balls and put up this line last season.

ERA: 3.39
W-L: 14-9
IP: 185.2
WHIP: 1.276

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think advocating a trade of Harrison is just asinine, he was one of the most consistent performers for us last year outside of Wilson,

Sure Ogando was more dominant at times but started to unravel towards the end, no way I get rid of Harrison at this point as he's also 2 years younger than Ogando

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think advocating a trade of Harrison is just asinine, he was one of the most consistent performers for us last year outside of Wilson,

Sure Ogando was more dominant at times but started to unravel towards the end, no way I get rid of Harrison at this point as he's also 2 years younger than Ogando

the only ones i would consider trading are Feldman and Lewis

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like the Nationals and Red Sox are the finalists for Gonzalez, tweets Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.

hope it's the Nationals

damn, hope this wrong.

The Red Sox are trying to get Gonzalez and Bailey in a "monster deal," tweets Rosenthal. The Rays are also in on Bailey and the Nationals are the team to beat on Gonzalez, Rosenthal reports.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. I'm hesitant to trade a pitcher who throws 96 with his propensity for getting ground balls and put up this line last season.

ERA: 3.39
W-L: 14-9
IP: 185.2
WHIP: 1.276

He's really good, I give him more credit than a lot of folks here. I just see him as being the odd man out. Ogando is too good for the pen, Feldman is too valuable in the pen to take out, which pretty much makes it come down to Lewis or Harrison. We'd get almost nothing in return for Lewis and he's valuable to us for reasons I already stated, plus he's cheap. We go with Lewis until Perez is ready IMO. You could make the argument for trading Ogando instead of Matt but I just like Ogando more, he's not as easily rattled.